“Great Travelodge experience!”

Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This Travelodge provided just what we needed, a comfortable convenient hotel close to the north terminal at Gatwick.
It comfortably provided all we needed for our stay, as travelling up from Devon prior to a flight is not to be recommended! We took the package for parking at AirParks, and staying at the hotel both before and after the holiday. Travelodge provided all we sought. Room and bed was satisfactory.We found the restaurant meals acceptable, and about par for cost close to an airport in the southeast of England.
Breakfast was buffet style, with the items topped up frequently from the kitchen.
Bus travel to/from the north terminal can take a while as both terminals are visited by the bus. The hotel have arranged a direct taxi service which costs £6 (same as bus charge for 2 passengers) and means handling the luggage is helped by the taxi driver, and transit is rapid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank manrow
Write a ReviewReviews (3,680)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Don't forget the shampoo - not provided.

Absolutely functional - but that is all we required before an early flight.

Watch out for the parking - we arrived in dark, with lashing rain. I looked round car park for evidence of charges (quickly) but saw none. There was one A4 sign on check in desk - hidden behind queue of people. As I used the self-check-in machines, I didn't get to read it until the morning - no excuse for not having a sign on wall by the machines, really!

Could have done without the obvious white stain on colourful counterpane, however...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for your review Sam N. As a brand standard we do not provide toiletries such as shampoo, however we do provide vending machines at reception should you need to purchase any forgotten items. Regarding the parking, we do try to provide all relevant parking information on our website however we also expect vital information to be sufficiently sign posted. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel manager so that they are able to make the required improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night to catch and early morning flight. Easy access to the airport, comfortable room for a brief stay. We did not stay long enough for me to be able to give a complete overview of all the facilities.
In terms of our needs for that night, it was convenient.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kym13
Reviewed 17 December 2013

In the past I have always found staying at Travelodges a rather soulless experience. This one was so much better. Very decent and quiet room, friendly staff and remarkable value. So handy for catching a flight the next day. I do wish they did not charge guests extra for parking though, unless you intend leaving the car there when on your trip.
Breakfast on site was perfectly good and not too expensive given the options

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was the first time we had booked a hotel at Gatwick for the night prior to a flight but we would certainly do it again. Although still an early start, the prospect of getting up in the middle of the night and chancing traffic on the M25 (which, let's face it can be disrupted at any time of the day or night) made this a no-brainer.

So, to the hotel itself - it's a Travelodge, and quite honestly if you've stayed in one before then you know precisely what you're going to get. This one differs slightly in the fact that it is a fairly substantial property and has a 24 hour bar, although it is a fairly bright and plastic chair establishment, and you wouldn't choose it as a go-to venue. The food was fairly poor for the price, though.

Bed and facilities were up to the usual efficient Travelodge standard (the hotel has recently undergone a refurb so is not tatty) and we had a restful sleep before catching the shuttle bus to the North Terminal. This leaves frequently, even at the crack of dawn and takes less than fifteen minutes to either terminal from right outside the hotel door for around three pounds.

So, for convenience and value for money you couldn't get better. You wouldn't book it for a romantic weekend break but that's obviously not the target market and the hotel makes no attempt to be anything other than an airport hotel that carries out the desired function without fuss.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank simonjolty
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Considering I've stayed in other travelodge, my experience at this hotel wasn't too great. The best way to describe everything was a "cold" atmosphere. Very basic room amenities, the shower pole not ideal if you're over 5"11.......too low and when you remove the head the hose is too short. I find myself crouching to have a bath. No tea/coffee but the hotel fixed a bottle opener to the desk?!!!.....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment Biggy122. We feel we provide all that is needed for a comfortable nights sleep which will include a clean room and a comfortable bed with tea and coffee making facilities so we are sorry to learn that your room was not set up with the correct facilities on this occasion. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel management team so that they can look into the improvements which need to be made. We apologise for the inconvenience caused on this occasion.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

After the disaster I experienced at the alternate Gatwick Travelodge last year, ( Travelodge were quick to provide a full refund), I opted to stay here this year, in the knowledge that it has been fully renovated in the past year or so. I had previously stayed here some years ago when it was the Mercure but it now bears no resemblance.

As I had travelled to Gatwick by train, and had taken advantage of an early check in leaving my case, for some exercise I thought I would walk from the South Terminal to the hotel. This was a big mistake as this mainly involves walking the other side of a crash barrier along the dual carriageway on a muddy path. On my return the following morning, I took the hotel bus costing £3 and running every 10 minutes.

As there was a queue at the check in desk, for the first time, I used the booth which on entering my booking reference dispensed the key card. This hotel is huge but my room was on the ground floor and my room was unrecognisable from any Travelodge at which I had previously stayed and presumably reflects the styling of the company's new makeover. I dined in the restaurant in the evening and this represented good value. The bed was firm but fine for me but would not suit everyone of course.

I booked a little in advance with the room costing £22, the most I have paid for a Travelodge but this was really good for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank binonatrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South (London Road) Hotel

Been to Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central? Share your experiences!