“Shame about the change to pre-paid meals”

Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Shame about the change to pre-paid meals”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times and have always been impressed by the helpful staff, clean rooms etc. We have always booked meals online and found them very good value for money. However everything seemed to have changed when we last visited. We got one course and a drink, whereas it had previously been 2 courses and a drink. No big deal, we thought, until we were told our choice of meal and drink was very strictly limited. We ended up having meals that neither of us would have chosen (our original choice was "off"), so we will never pre- pay online again. We felt very sorry for the staff who were having to explain this change over and over again as it was not made clear on the website.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived here as a gap stop between travelling. I first entered my room and found the cups all dirty you could see the ring marks all the way down from the precious occupants, after washing them myself found most of the sugars sachets had been used and put back empty obviously not checked by housekeeping. I went on to eat in the dining room the meals were small but ok but the waitress did not seem to want to clear any tables I counted at least seven dirty tables with plates on leaving customers walking into the restaurant unable to sit at a nice clean table. This would be fine if busy! It did take nearly an hour for meals to arrive after ordering. Again at breakfast the same waitress left all tables uncleared for as long as possible whilst she did nothing. I made a simple request for a straw at the bar to be told they don't do straws! Won't use this travelodge again.

Stayed July 2014
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Service: the que for check-in is normally large when I stay here but the self check in machines work well so this eliminates the problem. Staff are friendly.

Location: unlike the hilton this hotel is not located directly next to the terminal, however the price difference definitely makes it worth it. There is a bus that runs to the airport every fifteen minutes for a good price or you can take a taxi for not much more. This takes literally about 5 minutes by taxi or 10 by bus.

Parking: parking charges were approx £7.50 for the night when I stayed here but the price of the room still made it the cheapest hotel by far.

Will stay again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Deenie645
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

You get what you pay for.
Very easy to book in,and to park the car
The room was clean but very basic,comfortable bed and just about acceptable toilet.
The food I thought was rubbish,and I would never eat there again.
I would rather pay a bit more and stay in a better class hotel,I would never stay in a Travelodge again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Not enough signs to the hotel. You could not tell that this hotel has just been refurbished. The walls in the hallways and room were dirty (black marks). Carpets were frayed and dirty. Bathroom tiles and ceiling dirty.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at a Travelodge and we won't use them again! We stayed here before our flight from gatwick the next day , we didn't have to really as our flight wasn't that early but as we have young children, thought it would take any stress out of the equation. So as this was £20 cheaper than our usual choice ( Premier Inn ) and it said "refurbished ", we thought we would try it.

It is not refurbished! The bathroom is out of the 80's and the decor is plain and tatty.
The view of the planes was good, no noise and the staff were good.
Cleanliness around the corridors etc - disgusting !
Breakfast rubbish - no veggie sausages no soya milk no hash browns no mushrooms!
But my biggest problem was the "beds " for the children . Why do they go on about "dreamer" beds when for kids they provide concrete slabs with sand paper sheets? My son said he'd rather sleep on the floor so he got in the big bed and I slept on his - most uncomfortable even sleeping on top of the quilt .
All in all wish we'd paid the extra to stay in the premier inn.

Stayed July 2014
London
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I wanted to be near the airport as I had an early flight in the morning. When I arrived the day before the flight at Gatwick I dropped off my bag and made my way to the hotel walking. Not the easiest route as there were no pavements on the roads leading to hotel but walked on a well worn part of the grass verge (thought three times I did have to walk on the side of the road for a few metres). I got there in about 20 minutes. In the morning I was to repeat the journey and walked it in under 15 minutes. I was pleased that I did not have to wait for the bus and pay the fare.

The hotel itself was what one would expect of a Travelodge. Good check in and the room was clean and well laid out. The only complaint would be that there were only two towels and no mat for when you came out of shower. So used the face towel as a bath/shower mat. Also there was only a single liquid container of soap/hair shampoo. I did not have breakfast as my flight was at 6.40 a.m.

Well worth the money paid, £26 though the location is not as good as the Premier Inn North Terminal or Premier Inn A23.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Mark F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Ibis London Gatwick Airport
Hampton by Hilton London Gatwick Airport

Been to Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central? Share your experiences!