“Good Location”

Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I used the Corner House on a recent early departure from Gatwick. I've stayed at a couple of other places nearby, and found this to be more homey, more friendly, and a little less organised. Still, they picked me up from the Gatwick Express, and dropped me at the terminal the next morning. In the meantime, I had a decent meal, a clean (but tiny) room, and a pretty small bill. Just what I asked for, really.

I see that others have had problems with the staff and with the systems, but I can honestly say that they were polite and helpful, and my stay went off without a hitch.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stopped in at this Hotel as I was staying at the Travelodge locally and wanted to find a place to eat with a little more charm. I had planned to walk to the town of Horley itself but as the outside of the Hotel looked welcoming and they advertised a bar and restaurant , I decided to give it a go. The menu is posted outside and it looked fairly reasonably priced. The bar was just to the right of the entrance but after waiting a minute or two with no one around I went to reception. I ordered a drink and some food and asked if I could eat in the bar, which was accommodated.
It is quite a nice looking hotel and I found it quite charming. There are some updated touches such as a sun room off the bar with casual wicker furniture and overall it was very pleasant to sit and have a drink. Unfortunately the arrival of my food changed a little bit of that for me.

I had ordered the sausage and mash at 7.75 pounds. It took a while to come and when it did it was very poorly presented.Served in a too small bowl stuffed with mash, three over cooked sausages and swimming in onion gravy with large pieces of fried onions. The taste was o.k but as I was hungry, I was going to eat it regardless. There were no vegetables and no condiments were offered. On asking if it was supposed to come with veg I was told no but was offered some which I declined. I thought the menu had said all mains came with veg or extras etc but I didn't argue the point.

I didn't stay for another drink and the bill was 11.55 pounds for one drink and the meal. Left feeling a little ripped off and disappointed

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Taffcanada
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel looks the business when you first pull up outside, however on our arrival which was fairly late at night the woman on reception was less than helpful.. She tried to charge me too much and then looked annoyed when i asked for a receipt as we still had some balance to pay a few days later when we stayed at the same hotel on the return of our holiday.

I was told that taxi from the hotel to Gatwick were £5.00 and they were £5.50.

Also were not told that late at night after a full days work and a long drive to reach them, and a more than complicated unfriendly check in we would have to lug all of our things across a main road to find the area we were staying in for the night. We were told to make sure we keep the noise down like we were teenagers who would have no respect.

on the return stay after our hotel i was given instruction as to how/when to call them for our airport pick up.. there was a big group of us and they have an 8 seater.. i was told to call them at baggage re claim which i did, to be told to walk to a bus stop in the freezing cold wait there and call again.. which i did, and then had t stand in the cold and dark at 11pm at night waiting for the taxi, which we didnt all fit into so therefore some of our group had to stand and wait longer n the cold.

The same complicated check in process happened when we arrived, the same lady didnt seem to have a clue, it was an effort for her to let me pay on arrival, and she seemed stressed about giving me my car keys back before the morning, even though i explained that we might want to leave very early in order to just get home the next morning.

the bill finally got settled, but was just hassle.

in the morning there was not enough staff on shift, i asked for a coffee in the bar whilst i was waiting for some of the group to finish getting ready and i was told i had to wait for the man to go to the airport first and then when he came back he would make it.. at which point everyone in my group was ready to go and i had to leave most of my coffee.
when i asked the staff ''excuse me, do you know how much the breakfast is?'' my reply was ''yes'' and i had to stare at the man in shock before he finally replied with the price.
i found it a real pain that i couldnt pay for my coffee on my card as they have an ''over £10.00'' policy.. most places dont just refuse you to pay by card, they may just say they have to add 50p to the bill... i had to borrow a couple of pound to pay for it.

over all the hotel rooms and bathrooms were perfectly adequate and twice before the holiday i had spoken to someone on the phone and she was very very helpful so i guess its a hit and miss on which staff you get on that day?!

location was fine also, just a 5 min drive to gatwick airport but for the price and ease id rather stay at the travel lodge if i need to stay over again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed before and after a holiday and both nights the staff were next to useless. Check in took forever (3/4 hr ) and then there was a problem with the amount we had already paid and what was remaining. This morning we couldn't 'to pay because the owner had to go and collect people from the airport so our departure was delayed until he came back. He was also very rude about it. We ordered a coffee while we waited, 25 mins later it arrived.
On a plus note the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with this 'hotel'. Under staffed, inefficient and rude. If you want an easy and efficient service and check in, and a pleasant stay, this is not the place. Making them aware that we are travelling with a very unwell person they still took no less than half an hour at 10.30 at night to even provide us with a room key. Awful experience, NEVER AGAIN. Couldn't be more displeased with the staff, hotel and service!!!!!!!! If only there was a 0 star rating!
Thanks for nothing corner house hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have stayed here twice now and can't imagine we'd stay anywhere else. The hotel is very clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, the bar feels like a 'local' and the transfers to the airport quick and efficient.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Very nice hotel, very clean, friendly staff, really great for value, will use again definitely. The staff picked us from the airport very quickly, localisation is great, just few minutes from the terminals.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) Hotel

Been to Gatwick Corner House Hotel? Share your experiences!