“Cheap, not cheerful, does the job.”

Gatwick White House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I had an early flight from Gatwick, so I booked this through Holiday Extras. The bathroom and bedding were clean, and the taxi was prompt taking me to the hotel in the evening and to the airport at 4:30am. For £40 it was better than a pricey taxi ride and less sleep. The drive is 10mins to the airport.

Do be aware not all bookings include the 'free' shuttle before 10pm as advertised on the website, my Holiday Extras one apparently did not. But I was happy to pay £6 for the trip.

The rooms are dingy and small, the staff are a bit disorganised and the place is in dire need of an injection of some sort of colour and style, but if you're looking for a cheap bed it is just fine. If you book it for Valentines Day or an anniversary, well, you're probably asking for trouble.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 August 2013

It was cheap...less than £40 booked on the web. Unfortunately there was a £6 extra parking charge, so read the small print! You know that its not going to be the best of hotels when the receptionist smells like he has just come back from a weeks drinking binge. Maybe the drink softens the pain of having to work there! The first room didn't have working lights in the toilet so we changed rooms. According to the receptionist the builders were in that day....I think maybe one had slept there but there didn't seem much sign of any building work being carried out. The second room was better than the 1st..as long as you don't mind damp spots on the roof, no lampshades and a noisy main road outside. The furniture looked like it had been rejected by the local students in the 70's and we decided not to use the shower in case we left dirtier than when we tuned up!

Next time I will check the trip advisor rating before booking! Avoid this establishment.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I suppose you get what you pay for. You certainly don't get anything else. We booked this hotel as it is close to the airport for an overnight stay and cheap bed for the night is all you get. Don't use the transfers as they appear to run if and when they feel like it. Pay a little bit more and use official taxis. Don't eat the food!!! There is a really good pub serving good grub just 200yds down the road and a couple of good breakfast cafes a 10min walk away. And make sure you take a copy of your booking confirmation as we were told the owners are particularly good at forgetting the price booked.

Room Tip: There are lots of alternative places to stay in the area. Treat this one as a last resort.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank deanscroft
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked with holiday extras both on the way out and back from our holiday abroad. The first hotel which I booked as an undercover hotel was excellent BUT I asked for a cheaper hotel on our return as we would be arriving late and night and leaving the next morning and hotel extras suggested this hotel! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and have notified holiday extras to do the same. It was a disgrace, the staff were rude, the carpets dirty, the shower needed replacing broken and I would suggest unhygienic, the toilet seat broken, badly decorated and run. The breakfast was inedible and we left it along with the cold tea and coffee. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would suggest that staying in your car for the night would be preferable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank katieT822
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night as my husband and I had driven our son down to Gatwick Airport as he was travelling to spain. When we arrived they couldn't find our online booking, we were eventually given a tiny room with 3 single beds in it. It was stifling hot, but if you opened the window, there was a smell of chips, we were right over the kitchen. There was a fan in the room with no cover on it, and it had to be propped against the wall, otherwise it fell over. The breakfast was foul, I think they used the cheapest coffee going, we couldn't drink it, the English so-called breakfast consisted of a rasher of bacon covered in brown oil ( I really thought for a moment it was brown sauce) the egg well!! the white was covered in brown burnt bits, all we had for our breakfast was a slice of toast, at least that tasted normal. Please don't use this hotel. I really am not a fussy person and Ii can put up with a lot for just one night, but this place was unbelievable.

Room Tip: Just go eleswhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank maranne44
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Took my partner and friend there to spend the night before their flight in the morning, I called at 8pm after reading reviews on here about the loss of booking but were assured that the booking was there, then when we arrived there was a man behind the counter who couldn't find their booking which seems to be a common thing, he then went to get the manager who was walking around with out shoes or socks on!!!!!!! they then said that there was no booking for them but there was a room and when I said that I had only spoken to them an few hours before they told me that I must have called the wrong place so I got out my phone and told them the number I called and they both looked at each other as this was the correct number!!!!!!!!! With this we then left as the place was a mess and the only thought that we had was that their shuttle to the airport for the morning would never come, we drove to the premier inn and paid a bit more but was well worth it as we knew they would actually get to the terminal in the morning and have a half decent nights sleep. If I have any advice for anyone reading these reviews do not go there pay a bit more and have the security of a good nights sleep and that you will get to the airport!!!!! Will never recomend this place to anyone and if you have already booked as we had when we read these cancel it and go somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SJWebber
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

We booked through booking.com this hotel and parking for the night before we flew and the day we returned! It cost £190 all in ! The first night we had 2 rooms for us and our two daughters, barely slept a wink as so hot and very noisy when window open! Rooms fairly shabby but looked and felt clean! The shower in our room was hanging off the wall as was other fixtures and fittings! Needless to say we headed off early am tired and thinking we should have just not slept and driven straight to airport from home but thought we could cope another night on our return! Wrong we were shown to a single size room that had a triple bunk in and a single bed in! Very very hot and not pleasant with 4 adults in it! Shower door was hanging off its hinges with the rest of the fittings similar! Triple metal bunk was loose and held together with black tape! Sagging mattresses and stifling heat plus more noise meant another sleepless night! Would have been better camping down in the airport! Expensuve car park and toilet was what we had! Do not stay here sleep in your car in a layby and park at the airport!!!

• Stayed: July 2013