The Lawn Guest House
  • Bar/Lounge
Russ Hill Hotel(Charlwood)
US$52
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb bgatwick airportnext morningcatch an earlynice guesthousepubs and restaurantsspent one night heretown centrefull englishnon smokingwill stay there againlovely roomflight hometwin roomideal locationbreakfast was deliciousexcellent value
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2011

No welcome on arrival. Sticky marks on carpet in bedroom. ensuite is a cupboard, if that. Not enough tables for all guests at breakfast. Limited choice for breakfast, not as advertised. Not given correct order, but edible.

• Stayed: July 2011
TheLawnGuestHouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Lawn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you for your review. I was very saddend to read this review today. I believe you are talking about room 4 which does have a small en suite, but if this was not suitable for you I would have tried to move you to another room. We have taken over The Lawn 3 years ago and brought it as it is currently set out and I have many repeat guests who particulary prefer room 4, but I am extremely sorry that you didnt like it. I couldnt find any sticky marks on the carpet, please would you get it touch to point it out. Certainly over the past few days we have had a few families staying with us which has challenged us with breakfast seating, I believe over the whole of last week we have managed well but as is the case no one likes to come early so its difficult for me to clear half the house before relaying tables for new guests, in the most extreme cases guests had to wait 15 minutes before others had eaten and tables relaid. I can only apologies as to the limited choice of breakfast but I do know it is as advertised. We do fruit, yoghurt, muesli, tea coffe, toast and cereals for continental and egg bacon mushrooms and tomatos for cooked breakfast. If you stayed during our most busy period then the waitress taking your order may well have got confused when serving the plate, again i am sorry this happended.
I would however like to take this opportunity to invite you to stay with us again in a larger double en suite room.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

Stayed here like most people I would guess, just for the one night.
The room at first look was fine, but many small details were not quite up to the 4 star rating (in my opinion).
Bad points - The pillows were flat, saggy and old, the red and black mould in the shower grouting was evident and easily avoidable, hairs still around the toilet from previous guests, breakfast was very "budget" with lots of cheap value items, noisy due to late arrivals and early leaving guests (not fault of the hotel).
Good points:- ice machine, free wi-fi, parking, good local restaurant knowledge, room fan and heater and nice big flat screen TV.
I would only recommend this place if you are on a budget and after a 3 star B&B

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
TheLawnGuestHouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Lawn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to wite your review. Pillows in Room 10 have been changed now and regrouting work has been booked in. I will ensure I let my maids know of the hair you saw in the bathroom and prevent this from happening again.

Please can you write to me and advise what was cheap at breakfast and what i can do to improve my service to you. Its all well and good writing a review on trip advisor telling everyone else what you didnt like but, if you dont tell me how will I know!

I get good reviews and bad reviews and I ask everyone all the time that if there is something not quite right give me the opportunity to fix it for you only I am here to continuely improve my service to my guests, but I do find british people leaping on trip advisor as soon as something is wrong whereas european's tell me when something is 'not quite right' and at least I can sort it there and then ( i would hope!).

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We decided to book this guest house on the back of good reviews, even though it was relativley cheap. As there was no one to greet us on arrival we managed to work out which room was ours and let ourselves in. We arranged to leave our car and had a taxi booked for the morning.
When we got up in the morning there was no sign of the continental breakfast promised for early risers, but the taxi arrived on time and we left for our holiday.
On our return we were collected at the airport, which is a helpful service, but on returning to the guest house there was no sign of our car and unfortunately the owners mother had no idea where it was. We eventually found it at the back of the house where it was covered by debris from an overhanging tree and the windscreen was cracked.
When the owner arrived he explained that this crack was obviously something that had happened before we left the car with them and as such they were not responsible. This was despite the fact that he hadn't noticed it when the car was parked. He even went as far as phoning his bother to get him to come round and explain how windows are cracked only when being driven and as such was obviously not their fault.
At no point was there any attempt at an apology as the only concern was highlighting how they weren't res[ponsible.

When we eventually got home and had the car valetted to clean all the debris off, we found several deep scratches on the bonnet which will require a respray.
Overall, staying here was a very expensive mistake that could easily be avoided with a bit of care and attention.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kirsten090

Thank you for taking the time to write this review - I know you would have done so as you said you would if I didnt pay. For the users of Trip Advisor I would like to bring to your attention this couple who are complete liers. They said to me that I have cracked their windscreen which was a hairline crack and was already there plus this was not a driving error. The couple also pointed out that i had scuffed the alloy wheel which I know i didnt do because it was evident that when the gentleman drove out his own car from the rear of the house he himself had scuffed the wheel on the concrete border edging and then was blaming me for this, this wasnt mentioned in his review because he knew he did this himself so how can i believe i have cracked his windscreen when I know of damage that he has caused himself. The car was clean when they collected it apart from some conifer leaf on the roof and surely it would be evident in the day light when they collected the car if there were these deep scratches on the bonnet.
I have learned that being a small business and up until now not needing to go around a car to check for previous damage i will need to do so from now on as some people just love to pull a fast one.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

From the very start, give them a call when you arrive at Gatwick airport (there is a bus from Heathrow to Gatwick). They are very friendly and will personally pick you up. They are very friendly.

The place is cute and quaint. While I traveled with family, it would be a perfect place for couples. The rooms have everything you need: a nice bed, a TV, water boiler with instant tea and coffee, a nice bathroom, etc. Breakfast is big and delicious. They also offer wifi! The rooms come with a great (home-made) guide for exploring the area and restaurants---this thing is actually very well done and includes hours of operation, menus, directions, and more.

I can not stress how great the family is that runs The Lawn Guest House. They gave us any information we needed and were available any time we needed them.

Horely is a cute town itself and has plenty of little restaurants to go to at the end of a day. It is about a 40 minute ride to Victoria Station and the Traveler's Cards are not cheap. I found that it was still well worth it price-wise to stay at the hotel. Plus, the train ride is always a fun way to see and meet people.

I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We often stay in B&B's and The Lawn Guest House is one we'll gladly stay in again. The room was comfortable and well appointed; the shower good and we slept well on good mattress. The owners take pride honouring the history of the house and its former occupants which added to our stay. Service was excellent. We needed to adjust our leaving time and this was accommodated with ease and without fuss, which was very much appreciated. Evidently The Lawn provides car parking for those patrons travelling from/to Gatwick which is a bonus & something to remember. The centre of Horley with its range of restuarants, supermarket etc is an easy & pleasant walk .

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business