“NOT a 4-star guest house”

The Lawn Guest House
Ranked #16 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This guest house does NOT meet the criteria of a 4-star rated hotel that we have come to expect of an AA-rated property. It is closer to a 3 minus- or 2 plus-star rating. AA should revisit this inn and review their current rating for it. Cleanliness was suspect and furnishings and bed clothing were dingy and sad. While receptionist and breakfast server were polite and the location convenient to Gatwick Airport, the following are issues we found on our stay:

1) Overall dingy appearance of bed cover and upholstered chairs,
2) only two very thin blankets (no duvet) on the bed and one of the blankets had a 1-inch diameter hole surrounded by a stain,
3) mildew stains on the shower grout,
4) large bleach stains on the bathroom floor mat,
5) a strand of (used?!) dental floss on the rug,
6) no closet or armoire, only an unpainted wood shelf on a wall with a horizontal wood pole under it,
7) dirty-looking, unpainted, very small small dresser and two bedside tables,
8) very low wattage light bulbs,
9) floors creaky throughout, as well as a creaky bed,
10) no toiletries (such as shampoo, moisturizer, and shower cap) provided (other than shower gel),
11) insufficient number of bath and hand towels, and,
12) breakfast menu items not available as advertised. They had only six of the 10 cereals listed, none of the yoghurt or four cheeses listed, and only 1 of the four ‘fresh’ fruits offered (and that was wilted orange slices).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda S
TheLawnGuestHouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Lawn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

We value your opinion and strive to make improvements all the time. I have this vision in my head of what I want to achieve and although I am a long way off I am consistantly making good progress in what I call "My Improvement Plan"! I have spent loads redoing some bathrooms, brought new carpet, ready to decorate 2 more rooms, done a tiling course to keep costs down and redo more bathrooms myself!! If I didnt care firstly I wouldnt respond to your review and secondly it would show in our attention to detail and guest comfort.

As for your title of this review Visit England rated us 4 stars 1 week ago, the assesor said "you are well within your 4 star rating" and that I just needed to make sure I have more breakfast items visible that I do in my menu, and to ensure the girls are dusting up high of which I have made my staff aware.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I had an excellent stay despite never meeting the owners. I arrived late and had to leave early so they very helpfully arranged for me to have access to my room, and to breakfast, and even my invoice - and it all worked like clockwork.
Although travelling alone, I had a twin room that was very large and had a super plush carpet that had been vacuumed into stripes. The sleep was perfect and the continental breakfast I helped myself to was exactly what I needed. Internet worked perfectly and was fast. A short walk to Horley railway station so convenient for London in the morning. A flawless stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in a twin room. Wifi was good. They allowed us to print boarding passes off for a nominal £2. Food was great and they left the lights on at 3am so we could help ourselves to breakfast before our flight. They also arranged a friendly taxi driver who took us to Gatwick North for £5. Great value. Great service. Would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 11 April 2012

VERY HAPPY WITH SERVICE
Breakfast was very good as im used to re-heated rubish, this was cooked to perfection.
Thanks you guys!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My partner booked the room and ww stayed a few months ago. The overall experience was poor and we would certainly not return. Lousy breakfast, lazy owner and a dirty ensuite.

I woud not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paulride
TheLawnGuestHouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Lawn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thanks for posting this review. To give you an insight on us running this family business, we work a 16 hour day each day and so we go from a fast paced breakfast from 7am to 08:45, to airport runs and then we also clean the rooms ourselves to keep cost down. We are always looking to make improvements so I passionately disagree with your review. We are certainly not lazy and we believe our friendly smiley service always brings back our previous guests.
Certainly some stud walls at the rear of the house which is the extension part of the building but that i cant help, it was built before we brought the place.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Lawn Guest House (Horley) is clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and convenient to Gatwick and the train to London. The innkeepers (2 brothers) are very responsive and welcoming. Room was spotless, cheery, and quiet; the new ‘en suite’ was as nice as any hotel. Innkeepers are not sitting at a desk all day, but always responded to my calls and were on site in a minute. The day before leaving home I requested advice over e-mail about transit from Heathrow to the guest house, and was really pleased with their suggestion of National Express bus (25 pounds) to Gatwick. After a long international flight and bus transit, I was foggy minded and not quite sure about best way to do the last transit from Gatwick to Guest House (just 5 minutes away!) My phone call was answered immediately with taxi instruction and price estimate. Since I had a day to visit London before next step of journey, I bought a day rail pass (15 pounds) and that got me round trip from Horley train station (10 min. walk from Guest house) into central London and all around on the tube for the day. I absolutely recommend the location for just a Gatwick layover; for broader London area, only for a day because of distance and cost to get in.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Felicia R
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I booked this Guest House as we needed somewhere inexpensive and convenient to Gatwick Airport. Having read the trip advisor reviews I mistakenly thought The Lawn Guest House fitted the bill.
I was terribly dissapointed. On the positive side, the guest house is conveniently located to Gatwick and minutes from a wide selection of restaurants.
However the service provided falls short of any I have experienced before.
We arrived by Airport Taxi which charged £9. The owner advised us that he provides a transfer service at a reduced rate so we booked him for the following morning, only to be charged £8. I accept this is a reduction on the airport taxi charges but given the fact that airport taxis are required to pay a fee to operate from the airport I think thie discount offered by the guest house is nothing short of a rip off. This was confirmed when we phoned a local taxi firm who were prepared to do the same run for £6. We were shown to our room at the top of the house which had a double and single bed. The room was tired and in need of updating / redecorating. The double bed was really only a glorified single and my husband was forced to get out of bed in the middle of the night and move to the single in an attempt to allow one of us to get a nights sleep.
Breakfast is served from 7.30am and as were were leaving at 7.15am, I can make no comment on the quality offered. On our return journey 2 weeks later, we were even more dissapointed. On this occassion we were given a room on the first floor which was much prettier than the previous room but again a glorified single bed.
In addition, the following dissapointments pesented themselves:
The room had one towel and one cup, even thought they were perfectly aware we had booked a double.
The shower in both rooms was impossible to operate, infact after many attempts we managed only very tepid or very hot water.
This was particulaly bizare as the Guest House had seen fit to leave a very detailed diagram on how to fill the hot water bottle hanging on the wall but no guidance on how to use the pseudo-space age shower.
the sheets were clean and fresh however the bed clothes were make up of blankets and a throw - long time from I have slept under blankets (which were replaced by duvets for a reason!) We arrived after midnight and as a result were given a code to let our selves in and the room key had been left on the night stand, we therefore had noone to direct or comments or questions.
In the evenlope with the key to the room was a note advising us that breakfast was served from 7.30am to 8.30am and as we did not arrived untill after 1.30am this was a service we yet again could not avail off. In addition, we were advised that check out was 10am

In general, it appeared to me that this is a guest house run at the owners convenience with no regard to the guests needs or pleasure.
an airport hotel can be booked for little more money but will offer a service that is more geared to the guests needs, especially as they are targetting transit and business customers.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Watson1957
TheLawnGuestHouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Lawn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

Thank you for your comments, All our 'double beds' are standard 4x6 size so they are not glorified single beds as you call them. I should advise for you to confirm the size of the bed prior to booking the double room.

We charge £7 for an airport transfer outside our free operating hours, and if this person knew we do free shuttle (9am -10pm) then he would have called us for collection, but when he complained about the cost of his journey when checking in i said we do it cheaper at £7 for upto 4 people with luggage not £8.

I accept Room 3 needs redecorating and we are in the process of doing so, why didnt you mention the bathroom in that room as i have spent £3500 in redoing that only 4 months ago.

The electric shower that you could not operate was a new Triton Aspirate fitted recently which i have had no complaints for.

On your return I am ever so sorry you only had set up of one towel but if you had called me at 6am when you was getting ready i would have happily give you another towel.

I close office at 10pm to get a good nights sleep after a very long day, everyday, and so for people arriving late we have a late entry system, on the letter in the envelope it says if you need to contact me at night dial 0 from the phone in your room.

I think you was only disappointed because you had not asked questions of our service we offer prior to booking which i advise all my guests to do to avoid disappointment.

This is the first negative review in a very long time that I have had following hundreds of guests who stay every month and are happy with what we offer.

I do however apologies that we couldnt make your stay any better but would have rather you tell us how we can improve then write this review.