“Great local pub!”

Dining options: Reservations
Horley, United Kingdom
“Great local pub!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We moved to the area recently and discovered this lovely pub very quickly. Nice garden to sit in on a sunny day and ample parking. Staff are lovely, food is great but service is quite slow - don't let that out you off its nice to have a leisurely lunch !

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Thickchick6

London, United Kingdom
“Ok IF you ONLY want a drink. Tired and inefficient.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

On first appearance a nice old pub but on closer look this place is very tired to the point of being grubby. There is no excuse in 2014 for toilets that smell of council estate lifts. The main issue here was the food or rather the 45 minute wait for three very uninspiring and expensive baguettes. Asked at the bar and was told the meal would be out in 5 minutes. No sorry. Another customer suggested I was one of the lucky ones if I only had to wait 50 minutes. As we left two others were complaining about the wait and another family left before their food arrived. This place has potential but the staff do not appear to care. Avoid.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank S A
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful food. Okay beer.”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I've come here so many times for drink and find the place nice and mostly welcoming. But recently came for food. The place wasn't busy but it still took an hour to bring out food and even then it was cold, if warm I could of at least forgiven.
Such a shame. Will prob still drink in there but never eat again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Chris29ham
Horley, United Kingdom
“Ordered at Lunch, ate at dinner”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

If you're looking for:

# Poor, gormless staff
# Slow service (2.5 hours for a Sunday lunch)
# Mediocre food
# Below par lager

Then this is the place for you.

The bar staff are clueless, taking up to 15 minutes to take 2 simple food orders (should spend more time taking my order than passing comments on what they think of it). Served us a flat coke, when we informed him of it, his solution was to pour from the same tap. We just accepted the 2nd, just as flat coke, it was obvious he wasn't going to change the soda pump.

Can't be bothered to finish off this review, much like the service staff couldn't be bothered to take care of our table. I'm sure you can all guess this review wasn't going to finish off by changing my mind to rate it 5*

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Grif89
London, England, United Kingdom
“One Star is generous...”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were staying locally and were advised to take lunch at the Farmhouse Pub. Our concierge told us he had never had a bad meal there in three years... however, I am questioning whether he has ever eaten there at all.

The pub is typical yet musty, with a large fire and an even larger plasma screen. The food menu seemed reasonable, with an abundance of quintessential pub dishes on offer. So we took our table in the restaurant area and ordered Southern Fried chicken breasts, jacket potato with melted cheese and bacon, and a pub-food staple, beer battered fish and chips.

We were a little hesitant as the barman was wearing a jumper with a mixture of spills and stains down the front, but we were happy to look past this as long as the food was okay. The southern fried chicken breast starter took exactly 25 minutes to come, which made me assume they were oven cooked from a packet. They tasted good, but my packet-theory was validated.

Now we get to the crux of the issue. The beer battered cod. I have not seen fish and chips like this since the early days of secondary school lunch dining, before Jamie Oliver started his food revolution. The batter was not real, it was hard, burnt, and acted as a defensive layer between the air outside and the decaying fish inside. If it had achieved what it had intended (keeping me from the fish) I would have been grateful, as I have never tasted such old, greying, decrepit fish. I couldn't even tell you what type of fish this was originally. It fell apart like used sawdust.

Anyway, I'm finding it hard enough to relive this traumatic culinary experience. And will give it to the Farmhouse Pub that they immediately refunded the fish and chips. But wild horses couldn't drag me back there.

• Visited February 2014