“Noisy with fly infestation”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Gainsborough Lodge

Gainsborough Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Bath, United Kingdom
“Noisy with fly infestation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Further to my mum's review "Fly infestation" last week, I have uploaded some pictures of the fly infestation I woke up to in my room. These are only of the source - there were most flies around the room.

After getting a partial refund I only ended up paying £17 for the single en suite room but I still think it is far too much! Not only did I not get any sleep before my early flight due to the noise and spending far too long trying to get the shower to the right temperature, I also ended up starting my holiday in a very bad mood. I think I would have been better off sleeping in the airport.

Looking at the other reviews it seems that the rooms are sometimes ok and sometimes awful. I don't think it's worth the risk - either spend more on a nicer place or sleep in the airport if you're flying. I wish I'd read some reviews before booking it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
15 Thank Nina A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My daughter just text me having woken up in a single room at this place ready to catch a flight.
She arrived tired to a be back soon sign,gone to airport(not so bad)Had to call for help to adjust shower and then almost suffocate during the shower due to lack of ventilation and space( not one to exaggerate or complain).She had to be up at 3am and decided she may not get to sleep at the airport but now feels she may as well have saved the money after having been woken four times by the plumbing system and once by a noisy arrival.
The worst part however was being greeted by dead flies on bedside table when she woke, there were others and she tracked them to a nest in the skirting board!!She has photographic evidence, too late for her but not for you .
I guess this place think they can get away with it due to their location and the fact that many wouldn't be returning there anyway.

She has photographic evidence, too late for her but not for you .

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
14 Thank loxbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

On arrival the place looks in serious need of a paint job. I commented to my boyfriend that from the road it looked a bit like the Adams Family house! The guy was helpful on reception. We had a room in the annex part and it was fine for noise levels. The room felt like it could be tarted up a bit. The TV worked and it bed was ok and there is not a lot more you can ask for for £40 a night. We left for a very early flight so didn't have breakfast.

All in all the place was ok for a budget stay, however I wouldn't stay there again and would bite the bullet and pay a tenner more and stay in a travelodge or similar.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

This place is not bad for one night if you're wanting to get to Gatwick Airport first thing in the morning. My single room was clean, simple, plus the central heating worked well. The bed was comfy, with extra blanket and pillow if needed. The bathroom was tiny but served its purpose. A hairdryer would have been appreciated, also a television that worked ... mine didn't.
Breakfast was basic as I was away before 9am when the cooked stuff was provided, but I at least had juice, toast and marmalade.
The place lacks atmosphere but for those quickly passing through it really doesn't matter.
This was my third stay here but will pay a bit more next time for another place along the road where there should be a hairdryer and working TV in the room, also a bigger bathroom.
P.S. Bring your own earplugs, otherwise you'll be awake all night with other folk snoring upstairs, downstairs, through the walls and across the corridor.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Alison S
exeter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

we spent a night here whilst attending a funeral,we were taken round the side of the hotel to a bungalow and our room was right by the front door. we were just able to get in our room which had a double and single beds a desk 2 hard chairs. We could hardly move around.[there was only 2 of us].Only one cup for the tea making facilities.Window was unable to close,so road noise was horrendous let alone people coming and going through the front door.Not a wink of sleep.
In the morning there was a huge puddle in the entrance and we were on foot.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank sheilaexeter
Heraklion, Iraklion, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

After reading the bad reviews, i was wondering what i got myself in to.
But.. The room was clean, bed was not damp. In the room i had small tv and wake-up alarm clock, coffee/tea facility.and a shower and my own toilet. At arrival i received clear instructions for my early departure. How to get to the center of Horley (close and enough restaurants and cafe's and even a lovely pub).
Next morning airport shuttle bus arrived exactly on time.
Its a small but nice Hotel. Price/value is correct. Staff is friendly (and willing to help).
Perfect location for a short stay, or in my case overnight stay before departure.
Bus stop from Gatwick (North Terminal) at walking distance even with a overweight suitcase :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Marian O
Taumarunui, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone flying out of Gatwick. Its only a 6 pound taxi ride from the hotel (or 5 pounds if you arrange the transfer with the hotel directly). Its a ten minute walk from Horley station or 4.50 for a taxi. The rooms are simple but clean and fully furnished, including a full length mirror, and tea/coffee facilities. The shower was really excellent, great pressure and easy to control temperature. The heating was good in the room, and it was really pretty quiet - a little traffic noise. It basically had everything I needed for somewhere to stay, for an absolutely reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Lizm3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Airport Inn Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Ibis London Gatwick Airport

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!