“One night stop over”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
coventry
“One night stop over”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

The place is ok. I stopped over for one night to get my flight the next day. The place is a bit tired, but clean, I slept well which was all I needed. A help yourself continental breakfast was fine. I phoned from the airport and was picked up within 10 mins, and taken back the next day, this cost £5 each trip..If I needed to stay again I would have no problem with it..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank abigailCoventry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have used this place 5 times since 2005 having been passed the business card from a freind, nice cumfy beds, great staff ,breakfast and free transport to airport. On very early flights they put a "help yourself breakfast" not 5 star but ok

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank johnbulpin_swansea
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here for one night before an early morning flight in mid-August 2012. After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was a bit concerned, but in the end it was absolutely fine.

I had booked a basic single room without en suite, which cost only £32 for the night. I called from Horley train station (around 8 or 9 pm) and the guy on reception gave me directions to get there on foot (took about 10-15 minutes with luggage). When I arrived, he was friendly and helpful, and arranged transfer to the airport for me for 6am the next morning (cost was £5).

The room was clean, as was the (shared) bathroom, which is all I ask for, especially at that price. Yes, the room was maybe a bit on the small side, the furniture a bit basic, and it could probably have done with a bit of redecoration, but at that price you can't really complain. The wi-fi signal was strong in my room (although the room was more or less above reception - don't know how well the wi-fi would work in other rooms).

I had to leave very early in the morning (6am), so can't comment on the breakfast.

In summary, if all you want is a place to have a few hours rest before an early flight, this place is fine, and good value. If you're looking for somewhere a bit more luxurious, then it maybe isn't for you, and you should probably book a more expensive place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank JR05833
Stepps, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

PLEASE!!! do yourself a favour and forget booking this sorry excuse for a hotel it is disgusting, smelly and unwelcoming, we only stayed for one night as our flight left at 6 am they told us they would take us to airport in the morning but when we woke there was a taxi phone number put under our door to call!!!! overall experience absolutely VILE!!!!!"

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
25 Thank Elaine H
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We have often stayed at this hotel when we have taken US holidays, the last time we stayed there the place was under new ownership. Avoid at all costs, the place has gone to the dogs!! On arrival we were kept waiting in reception for almost one hour as the owner was out collecting guests from Gatwick Airport. It was not a pleasant experience, dirty holed carpets, filthy decor, the room was musty and desperately in need of redecoration. The grounds were in appalling condition, grass up to your knees but the abandoned Tesco shopping trolley in the front garden was a nice touch... the whole place has an air of desperation about it and we could find nothing at all to balance this. The food was non existent, used to get a full English but now? lucky to get a cup of warm tea. The hot water dispenser was empty the morning of our flight, there was also no transport, had to take a taxi. It seemed like this place has become a sleeping point for 'white van man' as the bedroom next door to us was full of drunken loud males, very pleasant.. Overall I can think of nothing to recommend this place, I was so angry that I wrote to the AA twice complaining about their rating, they didn't bother replying.

Room Tip: Stay away!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
19 Thank Andy N
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Like other travellers, we too stayed here in June 2012 because our flight came in at around midnight. We had to wait over half an hour to be let in. Eventually they opened the door and the room key and the instructions were left at the reception desk! The room was awful, dirty, smelly and tiny for us, we had two small suitcases and we had no where put them and be able to walk around. We were woken up all through the night by other guests; we were due to depart at 7 am. The bathroom was so small that the basin was in the room and the shower had a trickle of water coming out. As there was no hairdryer in the room, my husband went to reception but there was no one around except for two other guests and they told us that the staff did not arrive until at least 7 am. We left at 6.45; which could not have sooner.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank Anjna S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I have given this a one star, only because I had to give it something.
I arrived at 12:00 noon and they sat me in the reception and asked me to wait 10 minutes as my room was not quite ready yet.
1 and a half hours later they informed me it was ready. I went to my room only to find out it was comparable to a cardboard box. It did not even look as though anything had been done to it, how could it have taken an hour and a half to prepare???
The room was grotty and could do with a major revamp.
The following morning I went down for breakfast and there was no sign of anyone working there. Myself and another guest had to knock on the kitchen door and ask him what the procedure was for ordering a breakfast. He eventually served us, but it was slop on a plate to be polite.
I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another B & B!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
21 Thank Aaron N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Ibis London Gatwick Airport

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!