“Value for money - for one night”
Review of Gainsborough Lodge

Gainsborough Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Coventry, UK
“Value for money - for one night”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at the Gainsborough Lodge for one night in July. I had a very early morning flight from Gatwick Airport the following day so needed somewhere to stay the night before that wasn't too far away,

The Gainsborough was just the job for this, My single room with shower for £38 (including £4 parking) for one night was fairly reasonable I thought, The room was basic, small and clean, but this was all I needed. The room had tea/coffee/kettle/etc in the room which was pretty good for a £38/night hotel. I didn't stay for breakfast due to my early morning flight so can't comment on that. The Gainsborough is only a few minutes drive from Gatwick Airport which was why I chose to stay here which was perfect for my early morning start on the following day,

Should also mention that the Gainsborough is only a few minutes walk from Horley town centre where there are a few pubs, etc where you can get a drink/bite to eat.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, although I might also look at other establishments in the area next time just to check out what they are like, costs and so on but I wouldn't have any issues staying at the Gainsborough again as its value for money for one night.

Room Tip: Parking is limited so make sure you reserve your parking space at the time you book.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MartinH123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This place is truly just one step away from being a dosshouse; smelly, noisy, scruffy and somewhat how I imagine a Seventies B&B catering for asylum seekers. I only stayed because it was late, I was tired and due to fly early the next morning. The bathroom was outrageously poor with cracked and dirty grout, ineptly repaired fixtures and fittings and a surplus of badly applied mastic everywhere. I can't believe that this place has ever been properly inspected and would definitely avoid it in future, £4 for parking? What the hell...? Vote with your feet, gentle reader...

Room Tip: Sleep in your car!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
13 Thank Nick V
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Don't be put off by bad reviews here. I am quite a fussy wotsit and I found it perfectly acceptable for an overnight stop at the airport.
I arrived at 1am and was soon checked in and helped with my case. Excellent!!
The room, whilst a little dated was clean, comfortable and quiet. Good dark curtains for sleep quality.
Nice hot shower and plenty of clean soft towels. Tea & coffee tray, I asked if I could have a mug for my tea and it was happily provided. Flat screen TV with the usual channels.
I paid an extra £5.00 for breakfast and it was very good with real tasty sausages. As much cereal, toast, juice as you wanted. Great value.
Paid the £5.00 for a transfer (cheaper than a taxi if you are solo) and was duly taken to the airport.
Many thanks to the staff for a good overnight stopover and great service.
Would definitely use again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Walton-on-the-Naze, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I used to stay here regularly until around five years ago when I discovered another guest house up the road. I made the decision to make a return solo visit since The Gainsborough is much cheaper for single rooms. I'd always found it to be basic but acceptable so I'm glad I didn't read the negative reviews here. I can only assume that this place has gone through a bad patch and is now much improved. The bad reviews seem to stop in November 2012.

I found it to be better than I remembered. Clean, reasonably quiet, comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. For many customers catching an early flight, breakfast doesn't start early enough. But for those who take it, at £3 it can't really be faulted.

I paid £38 for one night with parking. Excellent value for money.

I didn't take a transfer as I was not flying. But when I used to stay here regularly I always used a taxi anyway. Horley railway station is only a ten minute walk.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dursley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have stayed at Gainsborough Lodge twice in the last 2 months when in the area on business, on both occassions for just 1 night. The hotel is very close to Gatwick Airport, and so the cost is competitive. The rooms are clean, but basic.
The breakfast is of a good standard, and the man who cooks and serves it deserves special recognition as he is both polite & friendly.
On my first visit, I was charged a £4 supplement for car parking (what?) but was told this was because I had booked through an agent (Laterooms) and if I had booked directly with the hotel, this would not apply. So, on my second stay I did just that - hey presto, no parking charge.
To sum up, with this hotel you get what you pay for. I am happy to book again for a 1 night stay.
If you want a better standard of hotel, then be prepared to pay for it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ianrobb
jacksonville
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We booked this B&B from their website while we were waiting in Barcelona for our plane to London. We arrived and the hotel owner was out picking up quests from the airport. So we left our bag and proceeded to the train station to go into London for the evening. It is very convenient to both the airport and the Horley Train Station. When we got back to the hotel, he was gone again to the airport to pick up guests. We waited for about 10 minutes in the small lobby. Our bag hadn't been taken to our room and was sitting unsecured behind the counter. When he arrived, he notified me the room he had put me in didn't have internet. The website made no mention of certain rooms having wifi and others not. He was kind enough to move to another room and was very pleasant to us. We walked up a flight of cramped stairs to the room. We opened the door and I almost cried. It was the smallest room (and we are familiar with the size of European rooms) we had ever seen. There was black mold around the ceiling. The room had an unpleasant odor. No shampoo or toiletries of any kind. The floor and bed squeaked every time we moved or walked. The next morning we got up and were offered complimentary coffee and/or tea, which we declined and had him call us a taxi. The hotel offers shuttle service, but we wanted to leave before his first shuttle so he called us a taxi. I guess it was ok for the price, but the mold and squeaky floor and mattress made for a restless night.

Room Tip: spend a few extra dollars and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbtoys928
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for one night before our flight. The staff and Rasheed (I'm getting old, I'm nearly five!) were so welcoming and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the breakfast cooked to order and a taxi service is available. We were so well catered for that this will now be our hotel of choice if we should fly from Gatwick in the future. Thanks Mr. Patel and Staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Ibis London Gatwick Airport
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!