“Very Cosy”
Review of Gainsborough Lodge

Gainsborough Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Collected from Gatwick Airport as arranged with the Hotel car facility, shown smoothly from reception to the annex of the hotel. Twin bedded room, usual refreshments on a tray, and TV. I felt very happy to have found such a well run, quiet and professionally run hotel. I meant to review it some time ago, but life distracted me! But I certainly recommend this hotel. Easy parking within its forecourt.

Room Tip: I had a front ground floor bedroom en suite. Good enough for me. Quiet all night.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mixedfeelings

Reviewed 5 September 2013

GBP39.00 doesn't buy much by way of accommodation. My room only had 3 single beds, No globe in lamp and a rather poor shower.

Staff friendly enough. The breakfast was edible, it was a full English breakfast...but very minimal.

I felt that everything was skimped but other low cost places I have stayed at near Gatwick not really any better.

Don't expect much and you will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room at rear.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tiger_DFT
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at the Gainsborough Lodge for one night in July. I had a very early morning flight from Gatwick Airport the following day so needed somewhere to stay the night before that wasn't too far away,

The Gainsborough was just the job for this, My single room with shower for £38 (including £4 parking) for one night was fairly reasonable I thought, The room was basic, small and clean, but this was all I needed. The room had tea/coffee/kettle/etc in the room which was pretty good for a £38/night hotel. I didn't stay for breakfast due to my early morning flight so can't comment on that. The Gainsborough is only a few minutes drive from Gatwick Airport which was why I chose to stay here which was perfect for my early morning start on the following day,

Should also mention that the Gainsborough is only a few minutes walk from Horley town centre where there are a few pubs, etc where you can get a drink/bite to eat.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, although I might also look at other establishments in the area next time just to check out what they are like, costs and so on but I wouldn't have any issues staying at the Gainsborough again as its value for money for one night.

Room Tip: Parking is limited so make sure you reserve your parking space at the time you book.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MartinH123
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This place is truly just one step away from being a dosshouse; smelly, noisy, scruffy and somewhat how I imagine a Seventies B&B catering for asylum seekers. I only stayed because it was late, I was tired and due to fly early the next morning. The bathroom was outrageously poor with cracked and dirty grout, ineptly repaired fixtures and fittings and a surplus of badly applied mastic everywhere. I can't believe that this place has ever been properly inspected and would definitely avoid it in future, £4 for parking? What the hell...? Vote with your feet, gentle reader...

Room Tip: Sleep in your car!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
13  Thank Nick V
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Don't be put off by bad reviews here. I am quite a fussy wotsit and I found it perfectly acceptable for an overnight stop at the airport.
I arrived at 1am and was soon checked in and helped with my case. Excellent!!
The room, whilst a little dated was clean, comfortable and quiet. Good dark curtains for sleep quality.
Nice hot shower and plenty of clean soft towels. Tea & coffee tray, I asked if I could have a mug for my tea and it was happily provided. Flat screen TV with the usual channels.
I paid an extra £5.00 for breakfast and it was very good with real tasty sausages. As much cereal, toast, juice as you wanted. Great value.
Paid the £5.00 for a transfer (cheaper than a taxi if you are solo) and was duly taken to the airport.
Many thanks to the staff for a good overnight stopover and great service.
Would definitely use again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I used to stay here regularly until around five years ago when I discovered another guest house up the road. I made the decision to make a return solo visit since The Gainsborough is much cheaper for single rooms. I'd always found it to be basic but acceptable so I'm glad I didn't read the negative reviews here. I can only assume that this place has gone through a bad patch and is now much improved. The bad reviews seem to stop in November 2012.

I found it to be better than I remembered. Clean, reasonably quiet, comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. For many customers catching an early flight, breakfast doesn't start early enough. But for those who take it, at £3 it can't really be faulted.

I paid £38 for one night with parking. Excellent value for money.

I didn't take a transfer as I was not flying. But when I used to stay here regularly I always used a taxi anyway. Horley railway station is only a ten minute walk.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have stayed at Gainsborough Lodge twice in the last 2 months when in the area on business, on both occassions for just 1 night. The hotel is very close to Gatwick Airport, and so the cost is competitive. The rooms are clean, but basic.
The breakfast is of a good standard, and the man who cooks and serves it deserves special recognition as he is both polite & friendly.
On my first visit, I was charged a £4 supplement for car parking (what?) but was told this was because I had booked through an agent (Laterooms) and if I had booked directly with the hotel, this would not apply. So, on my second stay I did just that - hey presto, no parking charge.
To sum up, with this hotel you get what you pay for. I am happy to book again for a 1 night stay.
If you want a better standard of hotel, then be prepared to pay for it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ianrobb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Airport Inn Gatwick
1 mi away
Hookwood Lodge
Hookwood Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hookwood

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!