“It's all about the price”
Review of Gainsborough Lodge

Gainsborough Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Bude, United Kingdom
“It's all about the price”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

5 minutes drive to North terminal Gatwick for under £40 a night, what more do you want?
arrived about 5pm and left the following morning at 5am so can'r comment other than about the room. Internet in your room is chargeable, I don't think they make this clear on the Booking.com page (free in the lounge). Tea and coffee in the room, £50 fine for eating in the room??? I therefore went out to eat, nice Italian just 5 minutes walk away.
Bed was extremely comfortable but blankets not a quilt.
I think the room above me was undergoing a re fit, drilling etc. went on till 8pm, I was almost having a word with the Asian owner but it stopped just as I was at the end of my tether lol.
If I wanted a bed for the night when flying from Gatwick I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kulucriss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I can't understand why there are so many terrible reviews about this place, i stayed here on several occasions as i was working in the local area and only booked it because it was the cheapest i could find so i wasn't expecting luxury accommodation, i had no problems with any of the rooms i stayed in, they were basic and probably in need of a lick of paint but having paid such little money for the room that is to be expected. The man of reception was pleasant and upgraded me to a bigger room on more than one occasion. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep, if you are looking to spend time and relax in a hotel then book a more expensive one and stop paying for something cheap then moaning that it isn't good enough. I will definitely stay here again if i work in Horley again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Katexoxox
Scunthorpe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here just before flying off on honeymoon- we just needed a place to rest our heads and I must say that for the money you pay, the rooms are pretty good! They have tea making facilities, bed and shower with toilet- what more do you need? And for such a reasonable price so close to the airport, what do you expect?! Great, basic bed and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

It's in a nice location, average room since there is a dozen of lodges down Massetts rd all for around the same price. At 955 am we were told to vacate the room for check in at 10am, although we had been there 4 nights they still didn't hesitate to kick us out. We moved lodges after that.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank perthgirl12
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

When we first arrived, there was a note on the desk which said the guy had gone to do an airport run and would be back in 10 minutes, but it was actually about 20 minutes - bit annoying as we were very hungry and wanted to get food. When we got to our rooms ( a double and single) they did not look as good as advertised on wesbite. I will start with the single room. Shower room was nice and clean and so was bed, but tv was tiny and very high up and had trouble working it. There was tea left in the cup from the previous person so had to ask for a clean cup, then wasnt given a spoon. Double room - little bit dated and old fashioned, but tv worked okay. However, the radiator was boilng hot and on for several hours as there was no where to turn it off. In the bathroom the floor was all wet and damp, which created a horrible smell. Did hear quite a few cars go past in the night also, as we were at the front of the lodge near the main road. Also couldn't see any hairdryer as stated in the description. Breakfast was probably the worst bit. Only a few slices of white bread left, one of which has mould on the crust.... toaster took ages to toast the bread. The full english is tiny and very disappointing that it doesnt come with any beans! It consists of 1 piece of bacon (not two as most places provide) 1 sausage, few mushrooms, tomato and egg. My partners sausage was undercooked I believe, it was pink in the middle so I told him not to eat anymore of it half way through and this also put me off eating anymore of mine. So overall, it was average and you get what you paid for. It would do for one night but no more than.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Charlotte K
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is an absolutely awful B&B and would not recommend to anyone. It is filthy, smelly, the room was far too hot and could not be cooled down. The shower room was also awful. The man that was in charge was rude and obnoxious.
When I booked this room with Laterooms there was nothing mentioned about paying for parking which was absolutely a joke. You have to pay £4 a night to park outside the house which was full of big vans and loads of cars. Hardly any room to park anything. Just glad I only had one night booked there as I couldn't wait to get out and away from such a horrible place.
I wasn't well after staying here although I never had any food there. I think it is easy to pick up anything untoward from this awful place.
T.V. didn't work at all when I went into the room had to ask for it to be looked but still not very good. Very small old square tv. Door to bedroom didn't shut very well unless you banged it. No Duvets used in this B&B.

Room Tip: Pile of junk wouldn't recommend any of these.
Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank jumpracing
West London
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked this hotel as we didn't want to leave extra early to get to Gatwick for our flight. We were given a family room for 2 of us. The room was large with a double bed and two single ones , the room was clean the bedding unlike previous comments was perfectly clean to. The shower was very small but did what it should . There was a tea tray with coffee etc . I personally found my bed uncomfortable and didn't have a good nights sleep but the others in other rooms said they slept well . Breakfast in the morning was very good, hot fresh cooked to order with vegetarian option, a choice of cereal , juices tea and coffee. For the price we paid I don't think it could be bettered , it was a bargain . The guy on reception when we checked also cooked breakfast and was very pleasant , altogether I would recommend this hotel for its closeness to Gatwick and for a good hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank saffy50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#7 of 11 in Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Ibis London Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!