“Great service”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great service”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We checked in our car and as we were too early to head off to the airport we sat in the bar for a couple of drinks. When we were ready the receptionist got the driver immediately and we were dropped off at the airport.
Upon our return the flight was late and it was approx 12.45am when we called to be collected. We arrived at the correct stop to be collected and the driver was there 2 minutes later. We were checked into our room and although it was slightly dated it was super clean (thats one of my main bug bears) and I couldn't fault it.
The power shower was amazing and breakfast was tasty. All in all very happy with the service and thumbs up to the cleaners!

2 Thank carlyhustleher
GatwickCambridge, Guest Relations Manager at Gatwick Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Carlyhustleher from Birmingham. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive reply. We value our guests and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible and getting "top Marks" is very rewarding. I will make sure the whole team is made aware of your comments. Housekeeping are very proud of their standards and we aim to maintain them. I hope your onward journey home was a pleasant one. If you are travelling from Gatwick again and choose us, please call and book direct, as we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests.
Lynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
London
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel the night before flying to Egypt and we parked the car for 12 days too.

Having read reviews on here, we did regret booking but I honestly have to say that The Cambridge Hotel delivered!

Check in went well and we went to our room. We had no luggage as we had used the day before check-in at Gatwick airport so stairs were not an issue. We had a smallish room at the top with no windows. There was just a couple of skylights and if I had stayed here longer than the one night, I would have asked to change rooms. But, as it was comfortable and clean, it suited our immediate need.

We didn't use the restaurant as we went our for dinner, so I can't say anything about that.

Our ride to the airport was prompt and on return the driver was again prompt to collect us from the North terminal. On arrival at the hotel to collect the car we were greeted by a very friendly lady who returned my car key and asked about our holiday and how far we had to drive.

My only real grumble is that as we arrived back at the hotel at about 11pm, we then had to locate our car in the total darkness. My car is black and it was an almost impossible task. I was just pointing my key in all directions and pressing the central locking button in the hope I would see my lights flash, which I eventually did LOL.

All in all, for the price we paid, we got parking and a comfortable bed for the night (and the bathroom was spotlessly clean and modern too). I would recommend this hotel and we would use it again.

Room Tip: Ask bot to be placed in tha top floor rooms if you want windows.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank duncanandali
Hi Duncanandail from London, "Mr West - He says Yes", never been referred to as a tin before. So had to respond with the ad saying lol. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We do value our guest and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible. Firstly, as a grade II listed building, built in 1860 and owned by Prince George II, Duke of Cambridge we are unable to make alterations to the upper floors of the building. However, we are pleased you we comfortable for the evening you stayed. With regard to locating your vehicle late at night, this has not been brought to my attention before and will look into better lighting in the car park. If you are flying from Gatwick again and choose us, please ring direct as we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests. - Please request a particular room on booking. Lynn
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Whilst the hotel is perfectly average and the car parking seems fine, we were not expecting to have to wait almost an hour, from the time we called to arrange collection from the airport, to being collected and taken back to our car at the hotel.
The hotel states 15-20 minutes to collect in the information they provide AND they also stated that when we called - when CLEARLY they knew there were more people waiting than their bus could carry and we were scheduled for their "second run".
(add the transfer time and it was well over an hour before we were back at our car)
This is a disasterous way to finish your holiday - so beware if you're considering buying this (lack of) service!

We were refunded our transfer costs (£12) when I complained to reception - to get rid of us ?
And whilst my subsequent email complaint was replied to straight away with some minor acknowledgement of the inconvenience we were put to, I can't imagine they will be making this any clearer at the time of your booking ?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew S
AndrewS, Dear Sir, I have already replied to you personally with an apology of the service which was provided to you. An indeed we reimbursed you straight away, NOT to get rid of you, but certainly as, on this occasion, you had waited longer than necessary. Unfortunately, due to traffic etc., it is impossible to maintain 100% of the transfer time scales. We have also, as stated in my email adjusted our systems on transfers, so they run smoother. I am sorry you still feel aggrieved, even with an apology, refund and revised services. Lynn
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

For our honeymoon we use the car parking facility with a night stay in the hotel on our return.

We followed the instructions for when we got back to the airport, everything went as the hotel said it would, the bus turned up promptly and the driver was very polite and provided a great service.

Once we got to the hotel to check in, the receptionist was no where near as pleasant the bus driver. She was very blunt and unhelpful did not even give us directions to our room.

When we got to the room it was tiny, the bed was the smallest double bed I've come across, in the middle of the night I found it more comfortable to sleep on the floor. The room was way too hot and the bathroom was in a desperate need of a upgrade.

At 5am we'd had enough of the hotel and didn't even bother waiting for breakfast, we just went home.

The only good thing at this hotel was the bus driver, who was very polite and went out of his way to help you.

Room Tip: Don't bother go somewhere else
2 Thank Tomsl33
Hello Fran87 and Toms133. As you are both reviewing the same room, I have replied to you both the same. Firstly, on behalf of the Hotel and myself, we would like to apologise for the manner in which you were greeted. We have trained our staff to represent the Hotel in an appropriate way, which all staff will be reminded of. The beds are all doubles and all have new mattresses, which I personally checked a week ago. I am a little confused as to the size as it was possible to have a person sleeping on the floor. We are unable to cater for every type of preference with mattresses. However, we have opted for the firm choice. Now we have finished renovating the public areas of the hotel, we are looking at ways to up dating the rooms and bathrooms. We value our guests and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards are service where possible. Thank you for bringing these situations to our attention. Regards Lynn
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here for one night before an early morning flight. Our first room we swapped as it was at the front and a little noisy for me. The second room was perfect. We dined in the restaurant and had a fab meal with drinks, starters, mains and sweet for £78. Not expensive at all for the quality and service we received. The transfers were excellent and we were met on our return within ten minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GatwickCambridge, Guest Relations Manager at Gatwick Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Jacqui821, Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on our Hotel. We are pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and have been giving "top marks". I will make sure all our staff are given this feedback, as a team it is a good moral booster. We do value our guests and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible. Should you travel from Gatwick again and choose us, please call direct as we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests. Regards Lynn
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We used this hotel as we had an early flight from Gatwick the next morning.
It was a good value place to stop as we paid through Holiday Extras for £54 we had overnight stay for two people and parking for 8 nights and a minibus transfer there and back which was second to none really. It was dead easy and everyone was helpful and a very smooth experience.(we paid £4 each for the transfers)
You could have an evening meal there but there is a Beefeater and Harvester down the road
so there are choices for all ages.
We will use this hotel again if we go from Gatwick again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Janeybaby 59, Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on our Hotel. We do value our guests and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible. We are pleased you felt we offer good value for money with our Hotel. If you are travelling from Gatwick again and choose us, please call us direct as we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests. Regards Lynn
Sheffield
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We used the park and stay option, staying over on our return due to a late arrival in Gatwick. The pickup from the airport was prompt and the driver was very friendly. On check in we were greeted by a less than friendly receptionist. Every seemed like it was an inconvenience to her. Never told us which way to go to our room and then wasn't anywhere to be seen so I could ask (after traipsing up 3 flights of stairs to no avail) the bus driver saw me struggling and showed me to our room.

The room, well, I think we must have got the smallest room in the place. Barely fit the small double bed. The bed itself was awful and the room was boiling hot. My husband slept on the floor as he was more comfortable there.

We didn't stay for breakfast as by 5am we had had enough and decided to just go home. If the room was that bad we didn't hold much hope for breakfast.

Won't be staying here again, although the parking was all without fault so would use this in the future.

Room Tip: Don't bother- choose another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!