“Value for money”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed there to catch a 05:30 Gatwick flight. Having arrived just after 8 PM due to doing the night before bag drop, I just managed to squeeze into the last parking spot at the hotel. Having paid only about £20 more for hotel + parking than I would have done for parking alone, we weren't expecting much, just a clean place to lay our heads for a few hours. It supplied that, and more. The room was basic but clean, with teamaking facilities and a tv. The restaurant was much better than the Brewer's Fayre type of the chains. They weren't surprised at being asked for a 03:30 transfer, and it was there on the dot. The cars are stored a mile or so down the road by their sister place Acorn Lodge, but we were able to drop our overnight bag into the car before it was moved next morning. It was there waiting for us on our return, when I presented my bingo ticket receipt to the receptionist for the key. As it is by the main road, there will be some traffic noise, but overall a good choice for the price we paid.

Room Tip: If you have walking difficulties, then contact them beforehand to try for a ground floor, as there a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bill186298

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
cardiff
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have stay at the Cambridge hotel near Gatwick for one night, the only good thing in this hotel is the food and the breakfast and good service, not recommended the parking in this hotel, after you coming back from your hols. They know how many people coming back they have one mini bus to operate 6 people at the time, if coming back 20 people it will takes over 1 hour to be picked up this it was our first and last time we stay at Cambridge hotel it take me over 2 hours to clean the car after the collection it was very bad so if you want to use the car park be my gest

Room Tip: Not very good transfer back to hotel it takes over 1 hour to be colllected for the airport
shropshire
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked for overnight and 8 days parking on 8th May. Lovely hotel, lovely decor, pleasant staff, excellent location and excellent airport transfer service. However we were allocated room 56 which is an attic room. Unless you are prepared to wear a "hard hat" refuse this room at all costs! My husband hit his head on the sloping ceiling so many times and on one occasion actually cut his head. I managed to only hit my head a couple of times and I was trying to be extremely careful. We did complain to reception but were unable to be moved as the hotel was full. Would recommend if you are not allocated this room.

Room Tip: Dont accept attic room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lozbat1
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We checked in our car and as we were too early to head off to the airport we sat in the bar for a couple of drinks. When we were ready the receptionist got the driver immediately and we were dropped off at the airport.
Upon our return the flight was late and it was approx 12.45am when we called to be collected. We arrived at the correct stop to be collected and the driver was there 2 minutes later. We were checked into our room and although it was slightly dated it was super clean (thats one of my main bug bears) and I couldn't fault it.
The power shower was amazing and breakfast was tasty. All in all very happy with the service and thumbs up to the cleaners!

2 Thank carlyhustleher
GatwickCambridge, Guest Relations Manager at Gatwick Cambridge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Carlyhustleher from Birmingham. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive reply. We value our guests and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible and getting "top Marks" is very rewarding. I will make sure the whole team is made aware of your comments. Housekeeping are very proud of their standards and we aim to maintain them. I hope your onward journey home was a pleasant one. If you are travelling from Gatwick again and choose us, please call and book direct, as we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests.
Lynn
London
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel the night before flying to Egypt and we parked the car for 12 days too.

Having read reviews on here, we did regret booking but I honestly have to say that The Cambridge Hotel delivered!

Check in went well and we went to our room. We had no luggage as we had used the day before check-in at Gatwick airport so stairs were not an issue. We had a smallish room at the top with no windows. There was just a couple of skylights and if I had stayed here longer than the one night, I would have asked to change rooms. But, as it was comfortable and clean, it suited our immediate need.

We didn't use the restaurant as we went our for dinner, so I can't say anything about that.

Our ride to the airport was prompt and on return the driver was again prompt to collect us from the North terminal. On arrival at the hotel to collect the car we were greeted by a very friendly lady who returned my car key and asked about our holiday and how far we had to drive.

My only real grumble is that as we arrived back at the hotel at about 11pm, we then had to locate our car in the total darkness. My car is black and it was an almost impossible task. I was just pointing my key in all directions and pressing the central locking button in the hope I would see my lights flash, which I eventually did LOL.

All in all, for the price we paid, we got parking and a comfortable bed for the night (and the bathroom was spotlessly clean and modern too). I would recommend this hotel and we would use it again.

Room Tip: Ask bot to be placed in tha top floor rooms if you want windows.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank duncanandali
Hi Duncanandail from London, "Mr West - He says Yes", never been referred to as a tin before. So had to respond with the ad saying lol. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We do value our guest and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards and service where possible. Firstly, as a grade II listed building, built in 1860 and owned by Prince George II, Duke of Cambridge we are unable to make alterations to the upper floors of the building. However, we are pleased you we comfortable for the evening you stayed. With regard to locating your vehicle late at night, this has not been brought to my attention before and will look into better lighting in the car park. If you are flying from Gatwick again and choose us, please ring direct as we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests. - Please request a particular room on booking. Lynn
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Whilst the hotel is perfectly average and the car parking seems fine, we were not expecting to have to wait almost an hour, from the time we called to arrange collection from the airport, to being collected and taken back to our car at the hotel.
The hotel states 15-20 minutes to collect in the information they provide AND they also stated that when we called - when CLEARLY they knew there were more people waiting than their bus could carry and we were scheduled for their "second run".
(add the transfer time and it was well over an hour before we were back at our car)
This is a disasterous way to finish your holiday - so beware if you're considering buying this (lack of) service!

We were refunded our transfer costs (£12) when I complained to reception - to get rid of us ?
And whilst my subsequent email complaint was replied to straight away with some minor acknowledgement of the inconvenience we were put to, I can't imagine they will be making this any clearer at the time of your booking ?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew S
AndrewS, Dear Sir, I have already replied to you personally with an apology of the service which was provided to you. An indeed we reimbursed you straight away, NOT to get rid of you, but certainly as, on this occasion, you had waited longer than necessary. Unfortunately, due to traffic etc., it is impossible to maintain 100% of the transfer time scales. We have also, as stated in my email adjusted our systems on transfers, so they run smoother. I am sorry you still feel aggrieved, even with an apology, refund and revised services. Lynn
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

For our honeymoon we use the car parking facility with a night stay in the hotel on our return.

We followed the instructions for when we got back to the airport, everything went as the hotel said it would, the bus turned up promptly and the driver was very polite and provided a great service.

Once we got to the hotel to check in, the receptionist was no where near as pleasant the bus driver. She was very blunt and unhelpful did not even give us directions to our room.

When we got to the room it was tiny, the bed was the smallest double bed I've come across, in the middle of the night I found it more comfortable to sleep on the floor. The room was way too hot and the bathroom was in a desperate need of a upgrade.

At 5am we'd had enough of the hotel and didn't even bother waiting for breakfast, we just went home.

The only good thing at this hotel was the bus driver, who was very polite and went out of his way to help you.

Room Tip: Don't bother go somewhere else
2 Thank Tomsl33
Hello Fran87 and Toms133. As you are both reviewing the same room, I have replied to you both the same. Firstly, on behalf of the Hotel and myself, we would like to apologise for the manner in which you were greeted. We have trained our staff to represent the Hotel in an appropriate way, which all staff will be reminded of. The beds are all doubles and all have new mattresses, which I personally checked a week ago. I am a little confused as to the size as it was possible to have a person sleeping on the floor. We are unable to cater for every type of preference with mattresses. However, we have opted for the firm choice. Now we have finished renovating the public areas of the hotel, we are looking at ways to up dating the rooms and bathrooms. We value our guests and their opinions, endeavouring to improve on standards are service where possible. Thank you for bringing these situations to our attention. Regards Lynn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!