“Comfortable night before flight”

Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Comfortable night before flight, triple room clean, breakfast enjoyable. Transfers £4 return pp. on the way we had a taxi. Stay inclusive of 16 nights parking booked via ' holiday extras' cheaper than on airport prices for 16 nights stay! Prompt pick up at gatwick on return. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I cannot begin to express how awful our experience of the Cambridge Hotel was. From start to finish, we were disgusted. We arrived at the hotel to drop off our car before our holiday and asked for a transfer to be arranged, we were assured we would be picked up in 10 minutes and could we please wait outside! after 40 minutes of standing in the cold and wet we were finally picked up.
After a weeks holiday, we arrived back at the hotel at 2am, hoping for a peaceful nights sleep before our 4 hour journey home. If you are allocated room number 33...REFUSE! it is just awful. The room stank of damp and smoke. There was only one pillow each and the mattress was about as comfortable as the floor. That night, there was a storm. Lying in bed it was awfully loud as if we were still outside. It then began to rain, within seconds there were rain drops coming through the roof!! turning the light on, we noticed the air vent led straight outside! My boyfriend was less than impressed and insisted we left that room. we went to reception where we explained what had happened, we were not offered a different room, no apoloigies were made we were just told 'ok, you may leave if you like. here's your keys, goodbye'. I have never experienced service like it.
I have tried to conatct the Manager but have had to repsonse, even after saying we will report the standard of the room to trading standards...still nothing
I strongly advise you think twice before staying here!

Room Tip: if you have to stay, avoid room 33
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Howard_92186302
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked this hotel via Hotel Extras thinking we'd landed ourselves a bargin. Located close to Gatwick, a competitvely priced shuttle service and parking too... what could go wrong?!! Unlike the experience of other customers the shuttle service was fine, reception and other staff were pleasant enough. We had the family attic room, which was at the top of two flights of stairs; not ideal for dragging up two heavy suitcases. Unlike other reviewers no-one offered to carry them up for us - perhaps they saw the size of our cases and thought better of it! Once we'd finally climbed into the stratosphere, the room was clean, but the ceiling was very low. Standing at over six foot this was a problem. The other problem with the room was the shower/bath. If you have time, opt for the bath, it's a lot less hassle! The shower cascades under the shower curtain like Niagara Falls, turning the bathroom floor into a skid pan. For adults it's bad enough, but our 4 year old slipped on the wet floor.
All of the above though was the least of our worries, more serious was where we left our car! To describe the parking compound as a quagmire would do it a disservice. I was genuinely shocked by the state of the place. My car is relatively humble on the prestige stakes, but there were Jags, Porsches, BMWs etc. If I owned one of these I'd have driven back out again and gone home! I wish I had. Parking my car I witnessed one of the attendants moving a car at high speed in reverse. He very nearly took the front bumper off a car and it was only evasive action on his behalf that prevented this. On returning to my car after our holiday I have to admit I was anxious about what we'd find. It's no surprise to say that it was damaged. The rear passenger door have sustained several dents. We spotted it as soon as we arrived back at the car so reported it to reception. They were very helpful, telling us that because their complaints manager (the fact that they have to employ someone as a complaints manager tells you something about this place!) was on leave, we should photograph it and email the photo and they'd see what they could do. Well what they did was nothing! They denied all responsibility because we'd signed a waiver. We couldn't prove that they were responsible. The sad fact is, and this is of particular concern, they can't prove that they weren't responsible. Why, because the CCTV they claim to have doesn't actually cover the whole quagmire, sorry, compound. Both at the start of our holiday and at the end I was able to enter and exit the compound unchallenged. If only I'd known I could have driven off with a higher prestige car than I entered with! Holiday Extras even investigated for us, so at least they are aware of the lax practises of this hotel, but even they were unable to get a resolution (due to the waiver you have to sign on arriving at the Hotel), so do yourselves a favour, spend a little more if you have to on a hotel near Gatwick, because it'll save you a few hundred quid in repairs to your car in the long run.

Room Tip: Avoid the attic!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank FattyMuller
Reviewed 12 July 2014

booked a park and stay via [holiday extras]. We booked for 14 days parking with an overnight stay the night before we flew. We did not want to leave our car keys so we were able to park our car in the hotel compound which is situated at the left of main entrance to hotel, we covered our car with a breathable cover and took our keys with us. The hotel stay was ok, room and facilities were fine, we had a ground floor room which was quiet and comfy.Early alarm call came as arranged and taxi transfer was faultless. On our return minibus arrived within 5 min of us reaching the pick up point. Car was fine and cover was still in place...happy days
ALL GOOD AND WOULD USE AGAIN

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carolynd_66
Reviewed 12 July 2014

One of the best hotels to stay and park at gatwick the service was excellent,the food very good,and reasonable also the courtesy bus which took us and collected from airport was great.no problems at all.

Room Tip: A great stay for gatwick park and go
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie R
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked this hotel as we had a 06.20 flight the next morning. Only 10 mins from airport, plus I could park my car there for 15 nights, and had a 3 course dinner.
We had a lovely big room and nice comfortable beds. there were no lifts for our heavy luggage and had to lug it up 2 flights of never ending stairs.
There was a wedding reception going on when we arrived.
Dinner was very nice, but the service in between courses was a little slow, the noise from the wedding reception was overpowering.
And so retiring to our room for a 3am alarm call, I think we eventually got to sleep around 1am
We almost gate crashed the reception at one point.
We weren't the only ones bleary eyed in the morning as 3 other couples had not had a lot of sleep.
A brilliant hotel for location but could have for warned us about the wedding reception.
We would use this hotel again but I would ask if there were any other events going on at time of booking

Room Tip: Away from the conservatory area during a wedding reception
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank james f
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We found the hotel via google and were so pleased we did. Although the agency (APH?) had not passed our booking on to the hotel (and they said that was the second one they had received that day!) they found us a very nice, comfortable room. The bathroom may have had dated decor but it was immaculate so no problems there!
We used the very nice restaurant in the evening and really felt our holiday had begun! The hotel is a converted manor house and new rooms are being built in a seperate annex very much in keeping with the original building. The car was left for six days in their grounds and they provided excellent transport service to and from Gatwick.
We would certainly use again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K3ntishmaid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Gainsborough Lodge
Gainsborough Lodge
#9 of 11 in Horley

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!