“Good again”

Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Repeat stay here, it's very handy for Gatwick and not expensive. Taking all aspects into account its good value for money. The transfers are well organised and pick up was efficient, despite delays on landing. The new accommodation out the back could be better with maybe a covered walkway to reduce the amount of getting wet in our summer but the rooms are comfortable and adequate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It does the job but is overpriced for what it is. When we arrived a miserable receptionist greeted us and when asked if we wanted a tabe in the resturant and when we explained we had already eaten, got an almost grunt from her. Then a lovely man (the only positive of this hotel) helped us take our bags up to our room, which was the worst room I have ever stayed in. it was essentially a tiny lost conversion with a double bed and two singles. It was clean enough but with the sloping ceilings and both single beds underneath them, it meant 3 out of 4 of us banged our heads. When we had returned from our holiday we waited where we was told we would be picked up from. When no one was there we rang the hotel and they said they would be 10/15 minutes, agan after 30 minutes we rang and they said they had already been and we weren't there!! This was a lie as we had been standing waiting and had not moved from that spot. We ended up waiting 45 minutes for the minibus to arrive and when it did we was told their were other people in front of us and would have to wait longer as we were the last ones to ring!!! Even though one of the famillies had only been waiting 5 minutes. After we had very unhappily explained how long we had waited we was taken back to the hotel and to our car. I would highly recommend you do NOT use this hotel. I am sure you can get a much better hotel and service for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Mary F
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A big thank you to the receptionist and other staff who assisted us when we arrived on 26th July 2014 for a one night stay prior to leaving our car there for a weeks holiday. When we arrived at the hotel I found out that I had booked the wrong night! (should have booked Saturday night, but had booked Sunday - the day of our flight!). The receptionist, I think her name was Ellie, was so helpful as there were no rooms left a the Cambridge Hotel but she managed to book us into the last room available at their sister hotel, the Acorn, just down the road. Took us there in their transfer vehicle at no extra cost.
The driver who picked us up in the morning for the early morning flight was very friendly and chatty too! Thanks again. Helen

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is your worst place to come,it is a car park with rooms .People must just leave there cars and fly off via Gatwick.Our room was not part of the hotel thankyou it was clean and a great shower but that is as far as I can go. We booked an evening meal in the dining room it looked ok with cloth napkins but when the food came my wife chose the prawn salad [bad choice] looked like they had been defrosted and frozen again no colour or taste, the waiter had not a clue when we pointed this out to him, after a few sharp words with the manager we did not pay for this dish and left. I will never return to this hotel again ever!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have never received such awful customer service and advice you not to stay here! When we arrived we were faced with a surly receptionist who was more concerned with applying lipstick than being bothered with us! Our first point of contact with her was to demand £4.00 each for the transfer to the airport in the morning, and then completing the waiver for damage to the car!. We were supposed to be shown our room by her, she asked us to wait, which we did...when I rechecked in 10 mins she was pouting into the mirror oblivious to our needs. We we pointed towards the 'annexe' which was obviously being redecorated, we had to struggle with our ccases up to 1st floor. The room was basic, but very hot and smelt strongly of paint, which was sickening. The shower room was a good standard and the beds were comfortable.
As far as health and safety goes forget it, your child can fall out of the window, the outside door to the annexe which turned out to be a fire door was propped open all night, and the fire doors in the corridors were also propped open, with no closers!!!!
We asked reception if they had a fan, and was told no, we asked for an ironing board which we got but they didnt have an iron. As a result we purchased an iron and fan from Tesco, we couldnt understand why you would have an ironing board and no iron...beyond belief!!!
In the morning we went down for our £8.00 each breakfast...no one greeted us in the dining room and we were left floundering! A sweet man whose english was not great was running around giving out cooked breakfast....which was horrible. The toast was black, the sausage tasteless and the one piece of bacon cheap and nasty. I will say that on both occasions the drivers to and from the airport were lovely!
On our return I found my BMW convertable parked semi in a bush!!!! The front of the car was submerged in dense hedge and was almost impossible to get out. Fortunately one of the drivers managed to get it out!
After leaving the hotel and returning home I realised I had left my mobile in the room at the hotel. After calling 5 times with no call back I realised that no one was bothering to check the room or knew anything about it. The manager was unavailable to speak to for three days and in fact I never spoke to him/her.
It may seem like a good deal to leave your car there, but no one cares about your property and your car is treated without any respect.
Someone said this is like 'Faulty Towers' ...I wish it was...that would have been FUN!!!!
Dont go!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tino552014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Disastrous book in. Surly receptionist tried to charge wrong price (not recognising we had already paid deposit) and not believing deal included breakfast until confronted with written evidence. Broken steps leading to brand new annex were a death trap, especially in dark and rain. New room lacked telephone, bedside table(s) and hangers in wardrobe. No in-room information and no details about breakfast - when, where etc. However, despite all this, room was comfortable, and all other staff helpful, cheerful and willing; and breakfast (yes, we did get it) was fairly good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank johnayling2
Reviewed 31 July 2014

this place is awful and i advise you not to stay here EVER. i returned tday to pick my car up which now needs a whole new number due to damage bothe sides, dents and scratches. i was told the manager had popped to the coop i can wait if i wish, i eventually got his number out of one of the parkin men, he told me over the phone he was in london for the day, so I'm glad i didn't wait for him to return from the coop. i have rang holiday extras who i booked this dump with and it is goin to b investigated. when we arrived last week they where jus finessing diner but wouldn't let us eat and couldn't advise us of anywhere, the toilet didn't work.. i will take this as far as i have too, it is not the first time this has happened as i have read review from last week. DISGUSTING PLACE NEEDS SHUTTING DOWN

1  Thank Donna S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!