“I cannot begin to express how awful our experience of the Cambridge Hotel”

Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Hereford, United Kingdom
“I cannot begin to express how awful our experience of the Cambridge Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I cannot begin to express how awful our experience of the Cambridge Hotel, Gatwick Airport has been. From start to finish, we were disgusted. We arrived at the hotel to drop off our car before our holiday and asked for a transfer to be arranged, we were assured we would be picked up in 10 minutes and could we please wait outside! After 30 minutes of standing in the cold and wet we were finally picked up.

After a two weeks holiday, we arrived back at the hotel at 2am, hoping for a peaceful night’s sleep before our 4 hour journey home. If you are allocated room number 50...REFUSE! It is just awful. The room stank of damp and smoke. There was only one pillow each and the mattress was about as comfortable as the floor, the room we had booked was a triple room but only got given a double room with a small camp bed wedged in at the bottom of our bed, and we had to put our suit cases in the bathroom as there was no room.

When went to reception and explained what had happened, no different room was offered and told that Holiday Extra had over booked the triple rooms. We booked directly with the hotel as we thought that in case we had any issues this could be addressed easier, but clearly we were wrong!

Instead of dealing with my complaint, I was told I would need to contact the manager in the morning, no apologies were made what so ever. It was as blatant as either leave now or put up with what you have got. As it was by now 03:00 and had a small child we decided to stay. Whilst we were in reception another guest came in, raising concerns on where is car was parked and the potential damage it may cause as it was parked halfway under a hedge!

Since I have tried to contact the Manager but had to make 21 calls to get a response, even after saying we will report the standard of the room to trading standards he was not bothered but after a lengthy call he said ok I will refund you, but I will take it out of my staffs wages which I found a very strange comment, but after a few days I received £40 instead of the agreed £93.

This hotel is dirty, dated and has no customer service skills! We will never again stay here and I strongly advice anyone not to do so either.

Room Tip: avoid room 50
6 Thank Luchti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Mansfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for one night before our holiday to Las Vegas and to keep our car there for the 10 days, we didn't want to spend loads on a hotel as we had already spent lots on the holiday but we didn't exactly want t a dive either. We found the hotel on Thomas Cook website and we liked that it was close and it included transport to and from the airport for £4 each. The hotel was easy to find although I could see no signs, and first impressions weren't great. It looks tired and worn out and the car park was heaving, spaces were small. I went inside to check in and waited around 2/3 minutes till someone actually came to the desk. The girl who was young, blond hair and small frame was certainly not welcoming at all, her face was rather morbid. Not hello or welcome, just waited for me to tell her how long we were staying etc. she checked us in, and gave us a car key label. No directions as to where to put the car or any other information. I asked to book the bus for the next morning and that was it.

The room was ok, it wasn't anything special, the pillows were flat and the bed ok. The bathroom clean and the TV small. The view was looking down upon a cars, caravans and apartments, looked like a gypsy site to me.

No drinks or food allowed in the hotel at all, it says that around the hotel more than it gives you directions to your room. The receptionist certainly didn't give me clear instructions where the room was so we had to struggle with our suitcases upstairs to see if it was there. We ended up eating dominos on a road side because we didn't want to bother with paying over the odds for the restaurant downstairs. It looked cheap (although pricey) and nasty with a selection of loads of different cuisines.

In the morning we checked out with no smile once again. The minibus driver was nicer, although he moaned he was waiting for us as he had to leave at 8. We had been stood in the lobby for 10 minutes, he was wandering around us but never asked us if we were waiting for a minibus until we went outside at 5 too.

On our return we rang the hotel to arrange a pick up from the airport, 15 minutes or less the receptionist said. After 35 minutes and other agitated people around me waiting too, the minibus arrived. The gentlemen who was different to last time said nothing. He didn't ask if we were going to the hotel, if our holiday was nice, nothing, a bit of a come down after a lovely holiday in the US with lovely american people. He chucked our cases in and when he came to getting in the minibus, he absolutely stunk of stale smoke, how professional. He was silent the whole way back and made us feel very welcome...

Back to the hotel, we picked up the key after waiting again for someone to come to reception. Less than clear directions to the car led us to find our car on a patch of stones and grass blocked in by two cars. I went to find someone and she said give me the keys and I'll get me colleague to squeeze it out for you. No way was anyone going to get the car out the tiny space!? Ridiculous.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone because it doesn't exactly get you excited for that holiday you've worked so hard and long to pay for and look forward too.

Receptionists with miserable faces, that's what gatwick Cambridge will always remind me of.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Reviewer0905
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

this was the second time we've used this hotel, cannot fault the hotel at all, it is spotlessly clean and peaceful, but the airport transfer is horrendous, so much so that we will not stay there again, when we left for the airport at 4am the receptionist drove a mini bus of guests to airport leaving no-one on reception, but it was on return it was awful. we arrived at 04.50 and rang at 05.00 as we came out of airport and was told driver on his way, this is a 10 min drive so 20 mins later we rang again to be told he was on way, after more time we rang again and was told that we said we were at north terminal. WE DID NOT AT ANY TIME SAY WE WERE AT NORTH TERMINAL. again we rang , by now we were cold and fed up with 2 young tired children who had endured a 9hr flight. eventually driver arrived with a group to drop off, he spoke very bad English and said he'd dropped off others at north terminal ,as if waiting over an hr wasn't bad enough he then proceded to drive like a lunatic, pulling out in front of a car on a roundabout and almost colliding with a coach, when we said he was driving badly he laughed and said it was the other drivers fault.,the minibus was in a very dirty and dilapidated state too. Needless to say because of this we won't be using the cambridge again unless they employ decent drivers and get decent transfer bus

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KentOzzy
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night before flying out of Gatwick, although we had paid for transfers included in the price we were charged again on arrival. Rooms very dated, uncomfortable bed, overpriced for what it is the weather was fantastic and the room was like a sauna, the bathroom was very 60's. We were asked if we wanted a table in the restaurant and was told it was nearly fully booked, wasnt best pleased with us when we said we would go to the Harvester up the road (highly recommend!) Transfers on the way to Gatwick ran smoothly, on the way back we had to wait about 45 minutes as they had to do 2 journey's. Was told upon our return where our car was (it wasnt) so had to hunt for it. Glad we only had to stay here for 1 night.

3 Thank michellehD4050BN
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Nasty Hotel whose staff and management hide behind their terms and conditions disclaimer.
Went for short break left car parked and handed in keys to receptionist, after viewing the way the cars were packed in and parked left a large polite note across my instrument cluster asking that if moved would they take care of parking because of the front spoiler,(BMW M sport being a tad low by front spoiler )
On our return was horrified to see that car had been moved and front now well and truly rammed over and stuck on their kerb with no way of removing it without inflicting damage to the front bodywork.
Wife went to seek the manger/owner who came over stood at least 10ft away and said there was nothing wrong and I should just reverse, he refused to come closer and view the car from below when asked 2 or 3 times turned his back and walked away...never even offered assistance leaving my wife and I stuck.
I had to devise my own idea of removing the car using concrete blocks but alas not without sustaining damage to my body work (see photo)..
This hotel is awful, as is the manager and staff who move and park the vehicles, doesn't know the meaning of customer contact, Car would have been safer parked in a side street and got a cab...
The best bit is if you view their advert on their website it must be taken as false representation as this is what it says quote (" After booking with Cambridge Hotel for Gatwick airport you won't need to worry about the car parking " ) quote ("Security patrols by trained personals and much more so that your car remains safe and you remain stress free on your precious holiday").
I've been contacted since by the hotel offering a 10% reduction the next time I book with them, think they’re on drugs to think I’d stay or leave a vehicle with them and yep they didn't bother to offer to get my car fixed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thomas121
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Repeat stay here, it's very handy for Gatwick and not expensive. Taking all aspects into account its good value for money. The transfers are well organised and pick up was efficient, despite delays on landing. The new accommodation out the back could be better with maybe a covered walkway to reduce the amount of getting wet in our summer but the rooms are comfortable and adequate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

It does the job but is overpriced for what it is. When we arrived a miserable receptionist greeted us and when asked if we wanted a tabe in the resturant and when we explained we had already eaten, got an almost grunt from her. Then a lovely man (the only positive of this hotel) helped us take our bags up to our room, which was the worst room I have ever stayed in. it was essentially a tiny lost conversion with a double bed and two singles. It was clean enough but with the sloping ceilings and both single beds underneath them, it meant 3 out of 4 of us banged our heads. When we had returned from our holiday we waited where we was told we would be picked up from. When no one was there we rang the hotel and they said they would be 10/15 minutes, agan after 30 minutes we rang and they said they had already been and we weren't there!! This was a lie as we had been standing waiting and had not moved from that spot. We ended up waiting 45 minutes for the minibus to arrive and when it did we was told their were other people in front of us and would have to wait longer as we were the last ones to ring!!! Even though one of the famillies had only been waiting 5 minutes. After we had very unhappily explained how long we had waited we was taken back to the hotel and to our car. I would highly recommend you do NOT use this hotel. I am sure you can get a much better hotel and service for the same price.

4 Thank Mary F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,161 reviews
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!