“Did the job”

Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Horley
“Did the job”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed at the hotel the night before our flight and parked our car for two weeks. I choose the hotel after reading positive reviews on tripadvisor. Unfortunately the week before our stay I checked reviews again and they were less than favourable!! We arrived at the hotel, slightly anxious but excited to begin our holiday. On arrival the car park was rammed, cars everywhere but management came out to meet us and we parked right in front of the hotel. I was slightly anxious leaving my car. Check in was smooth, we also booked our pick up for the morning. Our bags were taken to our room. Our room was clean and spacious, perfectly adequate for the few hours we were going to be spending in there.We had a very tasty meal in the restaurant. The service was attentive and quick, the food tasty and hot. We then had a drink in the bar, it was a lovely evening so sat outside. The hotel was fairly busy with a nice atmosphere. We had arranged our lift to the airport for 5am the next morning, the driver was prompt and polite. The return pickup was very smoothly and our car was waiting for us by the front of the hotel. So all in all a pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The hotel was clean, comfortable , quiet. The car parking was very convenient but make sure you read the paperwork! they do move your car to a compound next to the hotel so it isn,t actually at the hotel.
Only problem I would say was the lack of early morning call facility. Restaurant was Ok , the food wasn't, that good but OK if you are tired after a long journey. The mini bus transfer was extremely efficient and it,s only 10 mins to the airport. they were great on the return journey too. I would certainly use the hotel again, the staff were friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the new annexe, I imagine it is quieter than the main building
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed here the night before we flew. Trying to get a parking place as such was a nightmare. Cars packed in like a trailer of sheep, Head to head. Cars were randomly parked everywhere as they were told to just park and the cars would be moved. The reception staff were difficult to communicate with to say the least. When we eventually found our room we were disappointed especially after staying at holiday inn Gatwick worth. The rooms were dated and drab, not 100% clean either. we will not be staying here again, I would rather our car parked in a proper parking bay and not worried to coming back to dents and scratches ect.

1 Thank susan B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here for one night with parking before flying out of Gatwick the following morning. 3 adults and one 14 year old in a Vintage room (which I paid a bit extra for). When we arrived the car parking was ridiculous - cars everywhere - no where to park! Shown to our room which had a double room and bunk beds!!!! I returned to reception and asked to be moved (I do not expect an adult to have to sleep in a bunk bed). Was told - very rudely - I could not move unless I paid for another room £156. I asked, politely, if she would expect an adult to sleep in a bunk bed, she said no! I pointed out that I should not have been sold the room in the first place (I was clear the room was for 3 adults and a child when I booked). She told me "it was not her problem!!!!" We stayed in the room and removed the matresses from the bunk beds to the floor! Dinner was very mediocre, breakfast awful. Never again.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel!
4 Thank corinne_jacobs
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I must admit I did book a room with some trepidation, having read some of the reviews (but some lengthy reviews I have to disregard as purely malicious due to the shockingly racist undertones!). We have stayed here before but not in the last few years. The hotel seems to have undergone some expansion which probably explains why it's so busy.

We didn't have a problem with the room, which was clean and adequate and the breakfast was fine, fresh and hot. The pick up on our return was about 15-20 mins wait from south terminal, which was ok.

So on to the car. Well, ours was not damaged and we had a small splattering of bird poo but we get that anyway at home (so I don't understand how people think the hotel can control birds in the sky!). Anyway, we waited about 20 mins to get it to the front, but otherwise it was fine. The staff were polite enough, ok none of them were English (another strange complaint- how do these complainants cope overseas!?!) but communication was fine, albeit not lengthy.

Overall, we were content, and whilst doing another review, I was compelled to present a positive face for this hotel as my experience was genuinely fine, but I really think these types of forums are shockingly abused by the appalling behaviour of freeloaders and probable serial compensation seekers!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Emmapinky
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Parking and check in were easy.
The shuttle bus was really prompt and good.
Only 10-15 minute drive from the airport so really handy.
breakfast was good.
Our room was a little dated, but had everything we needed.
Would happily use the hotel again if flying from Gatwick.

Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having used several over night hotels with parking for 2 weeks over the years we were shocked beyond belief at the parking facilities at this hotel. We could barely get into the car parking area when we arrived let alone park as it was so over crowded. The cars were parked 5 or 6 deep in places with barely enough space between them to open the doors more than a couple of inches, let alone try and get out. The amount of disclaimers up around the car park gave a clear indication that the hotel was not going to be held responsible for any damage caused to your car and you also had to sign a disclaimer when you checked in. I don't see how this could be upheld though as the hotel is clearly not providing adequate parking spaces for the amount of cars they are taking in. We were told our car would be moved to a secure compound which was a field next to the hotel which was even worse. On our return at 2.30am we were told where our car was parked only to find it had been blocked in. I then had to return to reception to find someone to come out to move the other car. Parking is a complete joke at this hotel and I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,180 reviews
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Been to Gatwick Cambridge Hotel? Share your experiences!