“Great if you're fit”

Private Day Tour to Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond from Glasgow
Ranked #2 of 64 things to do in Stirling
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A national hero - a national landmark. The National Wallace Monument stands proudly on The Abbey Craig, outside the historic city of Stirling, and tells the thrilling story of Sir William Wallace, Guardian of Scotland, Patriot and Martyr.
Worthing
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great if you're fit”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Another first for us to visit here.
Negatives first - felt the admission was a bit dear for what is actually there. Usual moans about gift shop prices. In this health and safety age was a little surprised the top wasn't all fenced off. Didn't bother me but I could imagine those complaining. No it's not disabled friendly to go up - sorry how could it be!

Positives - stunning views from the base of the monument and even better from the top. The displays in the various rooms were interesting without being too heavy I felt. It has to cater for all ages and levels of interest. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Enjoyable visit.

1 Thank Worthybrother47

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Seeing is believing”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As soon as you park, the walk up to the monument is great; my grand-children loved it. They also loved all the steps up and wondering around the halls and especially the view from the top. Despite there age, they were interested in the history and we will be taking them back as they grow.

Visited August 2013
Blayney, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Got to love stairs!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

If you are able to tackle the stairs, what an amazing view from above. Just need to be careful on the stairs. Loved it.

Visited May 2014
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
“Overrated”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Beautiful landscape and the views are a must, but that is something it can be done for free. Climbing the stairs of the tower and visiting the rooms is nice, but far too expensive. One star less because of rude staff.

Visited July 2014
Perth, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Good but not great!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am from Falkirk originally and now Perth and I have always been fascinated with Wallace and Scottish history. I visited today after 21 years of wanting to go and was pleased with my experience but not blown away. The weather was stunning and the walk up to the tower was fantastic. The views of the forth valley are just breathtaking. The Monument was well presented but lacked any valuable or in depth information on Wallace. Everything on display or mentioned was familiar knowledge to me. With that said, still good quality displays which were easy to read and engage with.

The monument itself is not disabled friendly but that is just part of the Victorian architecture and can't be avoided. The stairwell up the tower is very narrow and would not be great for those who suffer from claustrophobia or an larger than average waistline (sorry to be blunt, but it's true).

What made the visit all the more special was the view from the top. I do not cope well with heights but wanted to make the effort to get right to the top and I am glad I did. The weather made the view that bit more spectacular and helped me picture the landscape and understand the history of Wallace's battles more precisely.

Finally, having worked in 5 star visitor attraction for over 7 years during my time as a student, in roles such as Front of House Supervisor, Education Assistant, Guide and retail assistant, I have developed a high standard for service and would expect the same from any visitor attraction I attend. The staff at the first shop where I bought my tickets were polite, friendly and enthusiastic and gave me a warm welcome. The same can be said for the two girls at the desk at the bottom of the Monument. I would have liked to have seen some guides or staff in each room as you ascended the building but that isn't really an issue. What let you down however, was the customer service I received from the girl in the monument gift shop. Her demeanour and attitude made her seem as if she would rather be somewhere else and her customer service was not existent. She didn't smile when I made my enquiry about prices nor when she served me at the till. This was disappointing.

However, overall an enjoyable day.

Visited July 2014