The Stirling Highland Hotel
US$106
US$141
Stirling Court Hotel(Stirling)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$148
US$144
US$97
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Stirling M80(Bannockburn)(Great Value!)
US$55
Travelodge
Premier Inn Stirling South (M9, J9) Hotel(Bannockburn)(Great Value!)
US$77
PremierInn.com
2,206 results
All reviewsold schoolleisure facilitieshigh schoolspa treatmentssteam roomsteep hillpremium roomlovely hotelbeautiful buildingold buildingtown centrebirthday treatcourse mealafternoon teashort breakample parkingbuffet style
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were bough a Virgin Experience day at this hotel for Christmas, and went along to have afternoon tea followed by use of the spa/gym facilities. Overall, have to say that the experience was rather disappointing. We did not get any choice over the food, so ended up with sandwiches that we didn't particularly like (lots of mayonnaise). In addition the scones came with sugary cream, rather than fresh cream, which I personally can't stand, and we had to ask to be given jam. When using the spa facilities the male changing rooms were really rather dirty - black mould on the walls, and the swimming pool did not look like it had been cleaned properly for a while. Similarly only one out of four lights worked in the sauna, and the receptionist at the spa was really rather rude.

The positive side of things was that the female changing rooms were clean, and the water pressure in the showers was lovely (nice and strong). Similarly the restaurant staff were very helpful and terribly polite. When the sandwiches were brought over, for example, we were missing a slice of bread from one of them (had presumably fallen off without being noticed). When I asked for an extra slice we were brought a new, full plate of sandwiches, which was very nice of them.

Overall, unfortunately, the experience really was rather disappointing. If looking for an afternoon tea package in the future, I will go to the Tower restaurant or the Carlton Hotel in Edinburgh - have previously been there, and both were much much nicer, although were a little more expensive (but not much).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Looked at at website and booked game on restaurant, when we arrived we were told that this restaurant had been closed for 3 months, so chose food from restaurant. We paid 6 pounds for soup that was very salty and when we mentioned to the waiting staff noboby seemed to care. Then when we got the main course the portion size was terrible for the fish dish which cost nearly 17 pounds, their answer was to bring another half portion of dry fish to the table. I do not recommend coming here even for a light lunch it is terrible. And also they serve frizen chips with stark that costs 26 pounds.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 4 January 2014

In fairness, I would probably want to give this rating 3.5 stars but that isn't possible, so it will have to be 3.

I've stayed here before under it's previous ownership, and always found it a decent hotel. I would normally choose The Golden Lion as it provides good food and decent value for money but was unable to book there, so I decided to return to the Highland with some trepidation after experiencing disappointment at another Puma hotel recently.

The room rate of £55 for Bed & Breakfast for early January was relatively high, but the room was of reasonable size and the bed certainly comfortable.

The windows didn't open, apart from a small crack, which I assume was due to security reasons as I was on the 3rd floor. As there was no air conditioning that I could see, this would have been a benefit as the room was quite stuffy.

The leisure facilities are still decent - good sized pool and well equipped gym, and the Stirling Whisky Shop located inside the hotel is worth a visit too.

The main problem for me (and the reason for the lower rating) was that the chef had not turned up for breakfast, and I was therefore told to make my selection from the continental items on offer - fruit juice, cereal, fruit and yoghurt - which wasn't really what I wanted to start my day! A replacement chef was sourced, and a hot breakfast was later provided, but there was no offer of toast and the beans had obviously been microwaved and were congealed - small things perhaps, but i would really expect better of a 4* hotel for the price paid.

I note from one of the other reviews that there seems to be a £29 room rate, but this was not available for a Thursday night stay. That said, I probably would go back in future if the need arose.

Room Tip: Premium Rooms are available, and some rooms have views over the town - you can ask for one at the time of booking.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank thetallguy67
Reviewed 3 January 2014

From the moment the four of us arrived to the time we left we enjoyed the perfect Scottish hospitality. We landed at Edinburhg at 8 am collected hire car and arrived at hotel by 9.30. Receptionist told us our rooms were available instantly and if we were quick we could have breakfast no problem. We then new we would enjoy our New Year break.
All restaurant staff were very professional, very keen to please. An absolute credit to the hotel!
The bedroom very clean, warm and comfortable bed, maybe a small fridge in the room would be an advantage.
The only small fault we found was sometimes lack of bar staff.
The New Year's Eve Gala Dinner with piper and haggis was such fun.
Well done Puma Hotels and Thank you
Gloria and Alwyn Schroeder room 323

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 January 2014

At the bar in the Library recovering from Hogmaneigh the angel Frances provided the coffee. The guests provided the jokes. My lunch at £15.55 including tip completed my rescussitation.
One major complaint. Stuart Bond, the general manager, has neglected to put a piano in the bar!! He must not know excellent pianos are cheap and plentiful at my Underwater Piano Shop, Edinburgh branch. I plan to return at earliest opporknockity with a 19th Century Broadwood cottage upright (£1,200) in tow.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo