“Massively disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Stirling
Lincolnshire, England
“Massively disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times before and have recommended it to colleagues but this was a terrible experience.
On opening the door to my room the smell of bleach was overpowering.
I tried to book a dinner reservation but was told the restaurant was fully booked.... For both nights of my stay. So I went next door to Collessio Hotel for dinner (which was amazing)
I always enjoyed the hotel's freshly cooked breakfast but now they have gone to buffet style with it under heaters, what a shame.
I ordered a packed lunch and was told to collect it the next morning before I left for work. Only to discover the kitchen didn't get the instruction.

Such a massive shame, what happened to this lovely hotel. In future I shall stay at the hotel Collessio next door.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
2 Thank Mandi P
TheHotelCollection, General Manager at The Stirling Highland Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Mandi P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am very disappointed to hear that following successful past stays with us your most recent trip did not live up to our usual high standards.

I hope you will visit us again soon - when I am sure the normally high standards you have experienced on previous visits will be restored,

Stewart Bond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Beds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very good location near castle. Easy access by road and good free car parking
Very comfortable rooms clean and tidy and well equipped but more drawers would be useful.
Good food and bar but would have liked to see a real ale given the local micro breweries in Stirling.
The lift does not go to all floors
Enjoyed my stay and would return

Room Tip: If you need it ask for a room on a floor which the lift serves
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheHotelCollection, General Manager at The Stirling Highland Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

We are glad you enjoyed your time here at The Stirling Highland Hotel and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Booked to stay in this hotel 7 MONTHS ago but got email (not a call) to tell me the room was cancelled 3 days before we were due to arrive...at time of commonwealth games!

Although they booked us in somewhere else (further away) doesn't really excuse the mess they made and impact on us.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank StuAndClareAndBump
Dear StuAndClareAndBump,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you with your recent booking.

I hope to welcome you to the Stirling Highland Hotel in the future.

Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

If this hotel has a FOUR star rating, then I am the Queen of England. It is old of course (great to stay in a former high school), but does the soft, lumpy bed have to come from 1857? Do I have to wear slippers because I don't want to go barefoot on old, not really clean carpets? Spend the money and stay at the newly opened (in a very old building) hotel right next door. It was open one week while we had our eight-day stay here for the Commonwealth Games. Stirling Hotel staff is great, location is great - there is also a Youth Hostel just almost next door (16 pounds a night - open to all ages). Consider other options is my advice.

Room Tip: No elevator, so stay on floor one. Stairs are steep and it is cooler on the main floor. No air-con...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
2 Thank CarolE451
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to leave us your review.

I am sorry to hear your recent stay at The Stirling Highland Hotel was not to your expectation on this occasion.

We value your comments and thank you for your kind words about our staff.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's a great big hotel with all the space and opportunity to be awesome. But the rooms lack a quality feel, the decor is poorly done and the reception staff were very disinterested. The food and staff in restaurant were the best bits, without it my rating would be 1 star.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Robert J
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I treated myself and daughter to a spa day - three treatments, use of facilities and 2 course lunch. This was booked through the 5pm site. I felt that our meet and greet and explanation of how the day would pan out could have been better. The treatments were great and the therapists very friendly. However, my facial stopped at my chin and did not include my neck down to bust area. The treatment rooms were nice but really should have running water so the poor therapists don't have to keep running out to fill basins.
The lunch was a disappointment. My daughter is ceoliac and so was able to have 2 of the 3 starters - soup or a salad and who wants soup when it is 25+ degrees out and only one main course - a caeser salad but without the croutons so it would just be a chicken salad. It arrived with just chicken and lettuce, no dressing and no other ingredient. Had she wanted dessert there was not a suitable one on the menu and no substitute offered. There was only one member of staff in the restaurant and she was busy with other duties and so we didn't bother to query it. Very disappointed in the lunch. I felt that because we had already paid they didn't care if it suited or not. No effort made to accommodate special dietary requirements. Do not think I will be back and certainly on the strength of this visit would not recommend anyone eat in the hotel restaurant. Very poor effort, you will have to up your game to make sure all guests enjoy their visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katie B
Ridgetown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stirling is a wonderful base from which to see much of Scotland and the Stirling Highland Hotel is perfectly located in Stirling. Located on the main access road to Stirling Castle but only a couple of blocks away, it is a perfect location from which to walk to the castle. Also make certain to visit Holy Rude Church between the hotel and the castle.
We had a premium room with a nice view on the top floor for 10 days. It was quite spacious for Europe and the bed was comfortable. There was a combination tub/shower and while we never tried the tub option, the shower was quite good. There were a couple of negatives. While we had free Wi-Fi, the signal was not strong enough in our room and we had to go to the lobby to log in. Be aware that there is no air conditioning but that should not normally be a problem in Scotland. The elevator was a bit "wonky" and did not go to the second floor (not a problem for us but might be to some).
We opted to have breakfasts included. They were generally good (except for the eggs - somewhat rubbery on occasion) with lots of options. We ate two evening meals in the dining room and these were excellent. The hamburger that we had in the bar one night was also great.
The staff were universally friendly and helpful. The free wine in the room was a nice touch.
The Stirling Highland is located in an old school (1888) and has something of a "Harry Potter" atmosphere. However, it also has all of the modern touches as well.
Free parking is included but was occasionally tight. We did not use the pool, gym or spa.
The train station was quite close to the hotel (about a 10 minute walk) and provided easy, inexpensive access to downtown Edinburgh and Glasgow. We highly recommend this if you are using Stirling as a location from which to visit these cities.
While the hotel restaurant was quite good, there are lots of restaurants and pubs within easy walking distance.
Recommended!

Room Tip: Premium rooms were great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple