“not clean terrace hotel”
Review of Lost Guest House

and 1 more site!
Lost Guest House
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Well the hotel looked nice but what a disappointment. It’s not clean, cobwebs everywhere and as for the staff, not sure if someone had died but they can’t smile and definitely no friendly welcome. It seemed as if everything was a struggle to them.
The first night we decided to have a meal in the hotel. Two of the options we chose weren’t available so my wife and I both ordered the fish which looked like a Birdseye special with no flavour. The room at night, well I have been in cooler steam rooms plus the bed was hard and the lack of pillows was neck breaking to say the least.
In the morning the “friendly grunt” was more than we expected and most of the breakfast was precooked. We ordered toast and had to wait until the “friendly” staff came back from their fag (which was at the door in front) to get some butter.
To be honest I imagine I would have more fun getting haemorrhoids sorted than staying here. On leaving we tried to say goodbye but we got the grunt not sure if this meant goodbye or not?!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DG20102014

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed in room 117 which is a double room and was ok for size, however it’s downhill from there. The room looked tired with wall paper falling off the walls in places there were tea and coffee facilities but the kettle! Was missing, also there was no remote for the TV which was inoperable without it.
The bathroom was a decent size but not very clean, the toilet seat was splattered on the underside, there was no plug for the bath and the antiquated mixer tap/ shower was difficult to obtain a constant temperature for showering, scalding and freezing were a real danger. There was also a hole in the sink which had sharp edges.
I advised the staff about the deficiencies in my room but nothing was done about it and they seemed unsurprised by my observations. I didn’t eat in the hotel.
I didn’t sleep well either as the room is located next to what sounded like an industrial fan unit which ran intermittently throughout the night.
The staff were friendly but I don’t think there are lead or supported by management. I observed 2 members of staff panicking over a broken hover, it came across that this was the only hover in the whole hotel, this spoke volumes to me.
£50 for a double room is a reasonable price if it’s a reasonable standard. I would not stay here again and if I had checked in with a partner I would have left, I just needed somewhere to sleep for a few hours.
In conclusion, very poor and defiantly no more than 2 star.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sqwizz
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Was invited to a murder mystery night at the Terraces by a couple of friends. We had previously been at a similar night elsewhere and was looking forward to it. What a disaster... Food was awful I chose the vegetarian option, it came much later than other meals at the table and after tasting it and turning it over realised it was burnt black. I didn't complain as it was too difficult to get the staffs attention. Not one of the staff smiled at all during the whole evening and service was a disaster from the start with some tables getting meals and some others at the same table not getting theirs till much later. I had to hunt down a member of staff for salt as the salt pot on the table was empty. As for the murder mystery it was a joke... At one point we never saw the actors for 50 minutes we thought they had gone home, and all the staff were standing chatting at the bar while we had empty plates in front of us. Not good at all. I have not had reason to complain before and normally would not, but felt I had to on this occasion. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone nor would our friends who were very embarrassed at having ask us to go in the first instance.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dawn H
Management T, Manager at Lost Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Let me start by apologising for your disappointment. We've had some very positive feedback on our Murder Mystery night, such as the review before yours, but it didn't meet your expectations and that is what's important to us. Please get in touch, we would like you and your friends to come back to one of our monthly Murder Mysteries so we can get it right next time.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

stayed at the terraces after a murder mystery evening.
small but comfortable hotel.staff polite and friendly.
rooms small but everything you need for a 1 night stay.
breakfast was lovely and served hot.
murder mystery evening,which is held every month,is a great evening.worth going at least once.we are thinking of going again later in the year.
overall a very friendly comfortable hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Found the Terraces on a last minute booking site so did not pay the usual full room rate.

The hotel is average with clean rooms and a good breakfast service. Service is somewhat lacking, efficient but not attentive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

This is a very constructive review, thank you, your feedback will help us improve our service standards.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

This year we decided to try bringing in the Bells at a Party night. We found the Teraaces to be the best value and freindliest on offer. So 20+ family and freinds headed off on Hogmany to the Stirling city centre hotel. It was terrific - even better than we expected the 4 course meal was great - highly endorsed by my son who is "in the business".The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. The dance was fun and lively and the Piper leading up to the Bells created a great Scottish emotional atmosphere. I would highly recommend the Terraces. I'll definatley be back - maybe try the Murder Mystery Dinner next time!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pamela B
Management T, General Manager at Lost Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thanks for your review, it was just what we were hoping our guests would get from our Hogmanay Ball. There were people there from as far away as the USA and New Zealand so thank you to your party for helping to create the great Hogmanay atmosphere that Scotland is famous for.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Hotel is easy to find and very close to the town centre , great car parking available, greeted upon arrival by a lovely chap called Stevie. Excellent food only £10
For 3 courses . Rooms clean and tidy too will deffenetly visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013