“terrible breakfast”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Untidy, Noisy and the worst breakfast I've had in a very long time. The bar was covered in flies and so was breakfast. The service however was very good. In the morning I went to the manager to tell him about my experience, I was surprised to notice it was the young man who served me in the bar the night before. Upon asking him if he was the manager he replied " I like to think so" with a huge smile. This instantly broke the ice and I couldn't help but smile. He was so polite and really seemed to care. I was assured that all the points I raised will be instantly addressed.

I hope for the sake of the Golden Lion they listen to this young man.

ps Go to McDonalds for breakfast. It's a short walk.

Room Tip: Higher floor away from the ballroom.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank IGG445
Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I recently attended a function here, we went for a drink in the main bar first - a diet cola (which turned out to be a half pint glass half filled) was £2.70. We should not have been surprised later when asking for a tiny dash of lemonade in a pint of lager took the price from £3.50 to £4.20.
Service and quality of food during the function was shocking, 15 mins after the desserts started being brought out there were still tables yet to be served their main. Food was dry, chewy, tasteless and the amount served varied wildly from plate to plate. Our table was visited once to ask if everything was ok but the gentleman turned around and walked away before anyone at the table had a chance to respond.

• Stayed: November 2013
Goldenlionhotel S, General Manager at Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to coment on the recent event you attended, This event well extremely well and we have received numerous comments from the other guests who indicated how good it was on this event

I believe you did speak with myself on the night when you queried the flow of service which I did say was due to late comers sitting down at your table where other tables had already been served due to the event being informal and tables were served on an adhoc basis as this was a Party night where all tables are treated individually on a more personal basis

After investigating the drinks charge for the tops , it appears our new Gpos till were charging for the dash of lemonade which should not have happened , this has now been addressed and thank you for bringing this to our attention

I have discussed your comments with our chef who was concerned to hear of your disatisfaction who will endeavour to ensure we meet our clients expectations in future

Once again, thank you for taking the time to comment

Regards

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Pleasantly surprised by the Golden Lion room a little basic and old fashioned but given it was one of the un refurbished rooms, and the price good value. Excellent location with parking and very friendly staff, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoff0
Goldenlionhotel S, General Manager at Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a family room for a visit to Stirling with our adult son. The room was spacious and seemed clean but that's the best I can say for it. Peeling wall paper, cracked tiles in the bathroom. It looked like it hadn't been renovated since the 1980's. Really I expect more for £100. Breakfast was nothing special but it was plentiful. The location was good and we loved the town but I'd stay elsewhere next time.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Brooklynwinelover

Thank you for your feedback, we have just completed another refurbishment and tidy up after our busy Summer Season at the end of October where you may have not noticed this during your recent stay with us.

We are always striving to maintain and improve our facilities and do take your comments on board which is appreciated

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here for business , the hotel was very comfortable and the welcome was fine . Car park is hard to fine and is also a tight squeeze but I won't not let this put me off staying again . Breakfast is very nice . One thing about the hotel is that it is very central right in the middle of the town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Just back from an overnight stay, found the Hotel staff to be very friendly, our room was a lot more modern than i expected, very compact though!
Good value for money for a B&B stay, the bar was a wee bit pricey considering the location (Lots of choice cheaper elsewhere) Breakfast was quite good, if a wee bit old fashioned and nothing was piping hot so not sure how long it had been out. Would definitely stay again as had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend for a birthday treat. We were a little optimistic after reading some reviews, however we had a lovely stay. Hotel is very central to everything-handy for a night out. We dined in the restaurant on saturday could not fault our meal, compliments to the chef. Our breakfast on the sunday morning was just what we were needing after a night out.Great selection and tasty too. All the staff were helpful and very friendly. Our room was very spacious and bright.
We will definitely be back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends