“Some work to be done”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Stirling, Scotland
“Some work to be done”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I booked afternoon tea as a celebration. Three of us arrived for our 1.30 pm booking and as we entered the open plan reception, lounge, dining room the first thing to catch our eye was a member of housekeeping hoovering. Perhaps there had been a spill that needed cleaned up. I prefer that thought as it was a bit late in the day for public area cleaning to be done.

We were checked in by the friendly restaurant staff and escorted to a table. There was confusion over menus, we were given lunch menus instead of afternoon tea, which was quickly rectified. When offered water, I asked for a jug of tap water and was asked if I would prefer still or sparkling!. I reiterated TAP water. We had a laugh with the waitress about that and she brought a bottle of rap water which was lukewarm . Another member of staff was kind enough to replace our glasses with fresh ones with ice and lemon and put a fresh bottle of water in an ice bucket.

Our afternoon teas with cocktails arrived and were perfectly acceptable . Nothing exciting but acceptable. Cocktails were tasty and our extra bottle of Prosecco was nicely chilled.

The restaurant is stunning with cream leather booths as well as tables and chairs and a fabulous mirror on the back wall.

The toilets are nicely decorated. Black, silver and cream is the theme throughout the ground floor. I was perplexed to see one bottle of hand wash beside the sinks. Not a good look for a prestigious establishment. There are empty holders for soap and hand cream dispensers behind each of the basins. There was an hot air hand dryer but no option of towelettes. There were two toilet rolls lying beside the basins but no bin to put it in if you used this to dry your hands.
In the toilet cubicle there were no hooks on the back of the door for handbags. I don't like putting my bag on a toilet floor

Overall, I found it a bit disappointing. If you are 5* you need to provide the little extras that make a 5* special.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hamish01
AuroraHC, Marketing & PR at Hotel Colessio, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit to Hotel Colessio.. I appreciate you providing your honest feedback as meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests is a priority. I was delighted to read that overall, you enjoyed your visit. As a newly opened hotel, it always takes a little time to iron out issues and ensure that the operation runs smoothly; and I have noted the comments you have made about various aspects of the facilities and the services provided by our team. I will be feeding these back to Steven McLeod, Chief Executive & the management team, to ensure we improve our guest experience. Thanks again for taking the time to offer your comments and my apologies for the failings which you encountered. We look forward to welcoming you back to an Aurora Hotel very soon. Should you ever require any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me at elizabeth@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind regards, Elizabeth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

An impressively restored historic building which has been turned in to a beautiful five star hotel in one of the many historic parts of Stirling, (on a street leading up to the Castle.) I was was only here for lunch and cocktails but we were given a tour of the ballroom which is quite stunning, the outside gardens and a few of the rooms and suites which all looked quite luxurious. The lunch was delicious, cocktails and wine excellent. The decoration, seating and soft furnishings are plush and extremely comfortable in both the restaurant and the lounge area. The staff were very attentive, polite and professional - well done them. Toilets spotless but maybe more hand wash and definitely get some hand cream, it is needed especially with warn air hand driers. We had a thoroughly enjoyable experience and felt no rush to leave. Maybe there are a few teething problems as indicated by others but I am sure these will soon be fixed, though we didn't really see any issues to be honest. A great hotel and a great addition to Stirling.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Favouriteword
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent visit to Hotel Colessio. I was delighted to read that you were so impressed by our new hotel and were well looked after by the team. Thanks again for taking the time for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back. Should you ever require any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me at elizabeth@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind regards, Elizabeth
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel – recently re-furbished and 5* but it turned out to be a real disappointment. Our double room was tiny – to get into the wardrobe we had to move the coffee table and that meant we couldn’t get into the bed! Only one desk type drawer for our bits and pieces. T-shirts and jumpers (yes, you do need jumpers in August in Scotland!!) had to be stacked on the floor underneath the desk. Just one high shelf in the wardrobe. The tea/coffee making tray was on the floor of the wardrobe!! Managed to clear the desk surface to make room for that but nothing else could then be put there. That did then mean we could put our shoes in the bottom of the wardrobe. We arrived on a hot sunny day – couldn’t find anything to control air conditioning. Reception told us that it was not working until the following week. Asked for a fan – no can do! Surely a 5* hotel that has no air conditioning should have fans for every room. One did appear that evening whilst we were out. Should have wi-fi in every room – no can do! Only able to get it to work in reception – but not all the time – no space on the desk for a laptop anyway. No nice little touches which we usually get in a 4* - complimentary water and sometimes a bowl of fruit (there was a tray of sweets/crisps which looked complimentary till you spotted the price list hovering nearby), no towelling dressing gown, no safe (could have asked for one from reception but on reflection decided there was nowhere to put it). There were bathroom scales (not sure I want to weight myself on holiday) however with no battery in them they didn’t work! Breakfast on day one – had to wait 15 minutes for our order to be taken – waitresses running around like scared rabbits avoiding all eye contact. Had to go to reception and demand for our order to be taken. Next couple of days we decided to get up really early and no problems. Then we had a lie in and our order was taken pretty promptly but we had to wait 20 minutes for a bowl of porridge. There is no system in the restaurant – it would be far better if one waitress had a group of tables to look after instead of the haphazard arrangement when people coming in after us were being served. I don’t know who awards 5* for hotels but they have made a big mistake with the Colessio. Possibly 3* boutique but no more.

4 Thank suffolklad33
Thank you for taking time to review your recent experience of Hotel Colessio. I am sorry to hear that you were so disappointed by your stay and that we clearly failed to meet your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments will be fed back to the management team to ensure that we improve our guest experience. We take feedback very seriously and I would be grateful if you could email me at Elizabeth@aurorahotelcollection.com with your contact details. I will then discuss with Steven McLeod, Chief Executive, and get back to you as a priority. While disappointing to read your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback as this is essential to ensure we improve our customer service. I look forward to hearing from you and, again, my sincere apologies. Kind regards, Elizabeth
Stirling
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I'll echo some other people who said that Stirling really needed somewhere like this. The place is gorgeous and a lot of money has been spent on it. My husband and I went for our anniversary and it really helped with the celebration. The staff are great, especially our waitress in the restaurant who was friendly, knowledgeable and fun. I didn't get her name but she used to work in Alloa. The food was superb and plentiful, in fact so much so that we couldn't have a dessert. This was a pity as the menu looked amazing. Next time I'll pass on the starter.

3 Thank girlfoody
Thank you much for the review of your visit to Hotel Colessio. I appreciate you providing your feedback on your visit as meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests is a priority. I was delighted to read that you were well looked after by the team and that you enjoyed your anniversary celebrations. Thanks again for taking the time for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back (hopefully next time you'll have room for dessert). Should you ever require any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me at elizabeth@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind regards, Elizabeth
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited Hotel Colessio for dinner last week and were absolutely delighted with everything. The staff were attentive and professional yet still very friendly.
The food was a delight, in particular the scallops- cooked to perfection. We had the Chateaubriand plate between us for our mains. It looked fantastic and tasted just as good. Will definitely recommend to our friends and family, and return soon ourselves.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fifimm555
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your recent visit to Hotel Colessio. I am delighted that you were so well looked after by our team and that you enjoyed your meal with us. Thanks again for taking the time for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back. Should you ever require any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me at elizabeth@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind regards, Elizabeth
Sheffield, England
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had the pleasure of staying in a suite that was really gorgeous, lots of room and exceptional facilities, the bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom well appointed and very clean. Without exception the staff were friendly and very helpful. In particular one of the younger male staff (on his way into the hotel) noticed me on the street where my taxi had unhelpfully dropped me and and introduced himself and carried my bag to reception. Saw him a few times throughout the evening and he was a real pleasure, much better than the snooty service at some typical high class hotels. Had dinner in the restaurant that, although not Michelin standard, was very nice, as was breakfast. Unfortunately only a flying visit for business, would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Food_Lovers70
AuroraHC, Marketing & PR consultant at Hotel Colessio, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at Hotel Colessio. I was delighted to read such positive comments about your visit and our team. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards Elizabeth
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having read some of the poor reviews of this new hotel we entered with fear and trepidation! However, we were immediately impressed by the décor in the bar and dining room, and by the friendliness of the receptionist. Indeed during our short stay we couldn't fault the staff for helpfulness and good humour. We were disappointed by the size of our bedroom. There was very little storage space, only one hard-backed chair and no place to put our cases. The bathroom was pleasant enough but I am not a fan of showers over the bath, and this bath was very difficult to get in and out of. Also, the plunger for the sink didn't work. On the positive side we found the food very good indeed. We dined in the hotel both evenings and also had afternoon tea on our first day, which was particularly good value. Special mention should be made of the aromatic duck bon bons with dipping sauce, and the scallops with battered black pudding. These starters were mouth-watering. The skin-on chips were a great disappointment! We had some difficulty in finding the hotel, but the location, just down from Stirling Castle, is excellent. We would certainly stay here again when next in Stirling, although we would hope for a larger room!

Room Tip: Just ask for their largest room!!