“Great B&B!”
Review of West Plean House

West Plean House
Ranked #8 of 59 Stirling B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed in this B&B for one night (17 Mar 2011). My wife and I, both from Nebraska USA, had never visited Scotland before. This B&B was very clean; the breakfast was great! The room was on the 1st floor, large, and comfy. No issues overall; highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexramthun

Reviewed 22 September 2010

On our trip we stayed in over a dozen B&Bs/guesthouses. This was one of the best. Rooms were larger than most, a comfortable lounge (there are actually two), very gracious and informative hostess, great convenient location, delicious breakfast, tea and cookies at arrival. The only knock is that it turned out to be the most expensive of all our stays.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank DianaSoucy
Reviewed 6 August 2010

my only reservation about this place is that in making a recommendation it might be impossible to ever get another booking!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2009

My fiancé David and I stayed at West Plean for 3 nights from 5th November to the 8th. We found the B&B on the Farm Stay website. We love staying in farm B&Bs, you are surrounded by fields yet close to transport networks, which West Plean was. West Plean is close to a roundabout that has routes to Stirling, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Loch Lomand and the Trossachs. The roundabout also has a service station that is good for filling up the car for long journeys. We drove up from Liverpool, which took 4 hours. We visited the Falkirk Wheel before we drove the 25 minutes to West Plean. We were greeted at the door by Moira and her dog Poppy, a Corgi. We were the only one’s staying at the B&B at this time, so we had free run of the house. There is a guest lounge where guests can relax, watch TV, play board games or play the Wii console after a busy day of sightseeing. We wanted to play on the Wii and Wii fit board but we did so much sightseeing that we were too tired of a night too.

There is also a guest dining room, were breakfast is served. Moira was very accommodating with breakfast, we arranged (with in reason) a time with her every evening for when we would like breakfast in the morning. We were deciding (weather permitting) to take the long drive to the Highlands Wildlife Park, and because it was autumn and the length of day light was short we decided to have breakfast at 8am sharp, which Moira was more than willing to do.

Breakfast at West Plean is more than ample. David and I, not being very big breakfast eaters felt obliged to tuck into the food Moira prepared. Every morning entering the breakfast room, we would find at our seat placements a lovely plate of cut fruit displayed nicely. There is orange juice and cereals available and Moira is more than willing to accommodate any dietary needs. She would leave toast of varying grains along with our coffee and tea (which are left on a hot plate, so it keeps lovely and warm for longer) and on the last day she gave us pancakes which I tried and thought were cooked to perfection.

The room we were offered was the double/family room (had a one double and one single bed which became home for my numerous guidebooks lol). The room was huge!!! Being a country house, the rooms were massive, well larger than some rooms we have stayed in, in some B&B’s. The bathroom was equally large, both en-suite and had a second door leading into the hallway. Being a large room, it took time to warm up, but there was an electric fire in the room to help speed up the process on a cold autumn night. What threw David and I, both being city folks was that there was no key to the room or house; therefore we figured that crime was low in the area.

The room was more than adequate for our needs, since we were out sightseeing most of the days. There were tea and coffee facilities, wardrobes and dressing table. The flat screen TV was a Sony, (a good make) and also had Freeview.

The bathroom had a bath and a shower, the only criticism I’d say about the bathroom was that in the shower the light cord was too short, so if anyone who was as small as myself (5’) then they would have trouble switching the individual shower light on.

Being Scotland we had rain on the holiday, but that didn’t deter us. On the Friday we visited Glamis Castle and went on the tour which was entertaining. In the afternoon, we visited the city of Dundee. We drove around looking for the Unicorn, a 46 gun frigate, but with all the road works, we couldn’t find it. If you find yourself in Dundee, I would recommend the tourist information service at Discovery Point as they were really helpful and gave me directions to the Unicorn.

Arriving at the Unicorn, I was saddened as the poor ship looks so forlorn all on its own in Victoria Dock. We spent an hour there and loved wandering around the four levels of the ship. After that we went back to Discovery Point to see the Discovery, a ship that Scott navigated to the Antarctic. The display was very educational, more so than the actual ship, which we visited in about 30 minutes.

That evening we went to the River House Restaurant in Stirling, suggested by Moira. It was a very nice and popular restaurant, and had a lovely atmosphere; the food was well cooked and displayed (we didn’t have to wait too long for it to arrive on our table). I had the 5 bean chilli and David had the chicken and mushroom. We left feeling well fed. I’d recommend that if you want to eat here then book a table in advance as it can get very busy of a weekend.

The Saturday, after an early breakfast and with the sun finally making a show, we drove the 2 hours north from Stirling to the Highlands Wildlife Park; we arrived there at 11am and stayed there 5 hours until it closed at 4pm!! (when it was getting dark!!) We really got a lot out of the visit, we love animals, I love the Red Panda and David likes photography. We walked around the area where there are enclosures for the smaller animals. We visited Mercedes the Polar Bear in her new enclosure; she was very popular with the visitors. We also drove around the main park and saw the other free roaming animals. My favourite part of the day was the 3.30pm talk at the Red Pandas, all day they had been asleep but the zookeeper giving the talk coaxed them both down from a tree to eat and parade around the enclosure. I took lots of video footage of them and we left the park feeling very fulfilled. The journey back to Stirling was hellish as night set in quickly and the road is mainly single carriageway with no road lighting, so David, driving, was very tired as we got back to the B&B.

The next morning was our checking out day, and we settled the bill with Moira whom offered her best wishes on our future wedding. We left West Plean well satisfied and before we took the four hour drive back home south, we visited the Wallace Monument and Stirling Castle (which is getting renovated). The Wallace Monument was really informative, the views at the top were lovely and we even saw an actor whom talked about the historic events that gave rise to Wallace. Stirling Castle, though being renovated was worth a visit. I personally think the renovation detracts from the history of the castle, though I never saw the castle before the renovation so I can’t really make an informed judgement.

West Plean is centrally located for travel to further visitor attractions, is rural enough to feel isolated yet close to transport links for city amusements. Moira does a wonderful job as a hostess and is warm and welcoming to visitors whom enter her home. We would recommend staying at West Plean if in the area.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christine_lucas
Reviewed 25 July 2009

This a wonderful bed and breakfast located in the countryside near Stirling Scotland. It a large rambling country house on a working farm. The house dates back to the 1700s as I recall. The hosts are very welcoming and provide excellent advice on restaurants and attractions. The guests have their own sitting room with TV and WI game console. We had two rooms and each room came had its own bathroom. There are wonderful gardens and walking trails. Breakfast was excellent. Great location to explore the Trossachs and Stirling.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank annrcg
Reviewed 9 July 2007

We arrived here for the first night of our two week trip in Scotland. Our only mistake was only staying here one night! Our party consisted of myself, my sister and my boyfriend taking up two rooms. We were welcomed with a tea service on a day when the family had other obligations but waited an extra hour (trouble with car rental). It was nice to finally arrive and get settled after the transatlantic flight. Our rooms were decorated in the Victorian style that matches the rest of the home. It was very clean and moderately sized. It is about average for rooms/bathrooms in the UK. The gardens are beautiful to wander in but we took little advantage of it because we were there so short a time. The drive is a long way from the main road making you feel isolated but you are certainly not. There is so much to see and do in such a small area. The breakfast was wonderful as was the service provided by the hosts. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Phillipstonian
Reviewed 8 June 2007

We loved this place. The location was perfect, the owners were gracious and friendly and room was very nice. I highly recommend it. Book ahead, however, they only have a limited number of rooms.

• Stayed: June 2007