“Touring Scotland with Bruce Telford”

Bruce's Scotland Tours
Ranked #3 of 13 Tours in Stirling
More attraction details
Owner description: Personalised tours of Scotland and it's islands in a Land Rover Discovery vehicle. Tours can start and complete anywhere in Scotland and itineraries can be tailored to last from 5 days to 3 weeks duration. Accomodation is also organised as are visitor attractions and car ferries where required. The Land Rover can comfortably seat up to 6 adults as well as myself, when I utilise my luggage trailer.
Peachtree City, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Touring Scotland with Bruce Telford”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Bruce's Scotland tours is the best way to view the country. He brought Scotland alive for my sister, our friend and me. We visited castles, distilleries, St Andrews, war monuments and learned the history as we went. Bruce becomes a part of your group as he drives you on your adventure. We saw many wonderful things we would have missed if we had not gone with Bruce. I will call Bruce for any future tours of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. He is a great guy who will do anything to make your trip special. My highlight of our trip was dancing Scottish traditional dances with the locals to the traditional music in Innerness. He does wear a kilt everywhere.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank SandyPattersonTuman

Peachtree City, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“touring scotland”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Bruce used an itinerary that we gave him. He tweaked it and gave us a trip of a lifetime. We saw most of the highlands, all that we asked for and also things we didn't know about. Using humor, he gave us history lessons. We got to see the tourist sites and also less explored. We feel we got to know the real Scotland. He was flexible with our schedule and he was entertaining. His day did not end at 6:00. He escorted us to dinner and then to places to experience the Scottich night life.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank 102anytimetraveler
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Yes, if you’re a reasonably competent driver and you take care to keep yourself very alert at all times, you can drive in Scotland yourself (though the 10 foot wide country roads and negotiating the roundabouts can be challenging!) — but why? Why waste your holiday time in one of the most scenic and magical countries on earth by focusing on driving and trying to figure out how to navigate? You’ve got much better things to do than that.

I met Bruce by chance in ’97 in Fort William while I was taking a boat down the Caledonian Canal. When I asked for a good local hike, he loaned me his extra cell phone and dropped me off at the head of Glen Nevis with instructions to call when I was about halfway back. Since then, he’s been a constant — you just haven’t properly been to Scotland unless you’ve done at least a day with Bruce. On top of his deep knowledge of the country and its roads and views, its history and people, he has a serious talent for presentation and playing a role. Kilt and all, there he’ll be, complete with Highland Dirk and two small skean dubh’s (small black hilted knives carried in the tops of his socks). And the authentic accent. Mustn’t forget the accent. It makes the stories just perfect as you roll along.

For this trip (April 2014), we did two separate tours. For the first, Bruce drove up to meet us in Inverness. Day One was along Loch Ness to the old stone bridge at Invermoriston and Fort Augustus, then up along Loch Garry and over to Eilean Donan Castle, followed by a classic pub lunch in Plockton. (Go take a look via Google Earth; ain’t technology grand?) The cameras nearly melted down with all of the activity they got. We went by Strome Ferry (where there once was a ferry but there isn’t one now as the sign will tell you) and then had a late afternoon tea at Ledgowan Lodge in Achnasheen — which should not be missed. It’s an old hunting lodge, now an Inn, and is on my list for a stay some day. Day Two was Beauly Priory, Clava Cairns (a 3-4,000 year old Pictish burial ground with standing stones, Brodie Castle (Cawdor Castle is better, in my opinion, but it wasn’t open yet) and the ruins of Elgin Cathedral.

The second tour was to visit some of the old monasteries down in the Borders. Bruce drove down to Edinburgh to pick us up, and we started off at Jedburgh, then Dryburgh and Melrose, finishing off with Traquair House and then Rosselyn Chapel, which is fascinating even if you’re one of the few who didn’t see/read the Davinci Code.

A lot of miles, unforgettable views and excellent conversations across three days. Zero time wasted on fretting about driving on a different side of the road, shifting with your left hand and figuring out which turn to take and where to park — and wondering what else there is in this wonderful country that you’re missing because you didn’t know about it. The key is easy: let Bruce do it. Your job is to enjoy.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mikael B
Erie, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Scottish Treasure”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Touring Scotland with Bruce Telford as our guide ranks as one of the most enjoyable times we've ever had on a vacation. From the time he picked us up at the airport until he dropped us off at our doorstep in Edinburgh a week later, our journey through Scotland was filled with wonderful sights, fascinating stories, great music, wee pubs, and loads of laughter. What great fun!
And let me tell you, this was the way to go. With Bruce as trip planner and driver, we were free to enjoy each moment, and to see and do things we wouldn't have done had we been on our own. Yes, we had a daily schedule, but with Bruce, we had the flexibility, within reason, to change things on the fly. For example, I learned just before we left home that my great grandfather served with the 78th Highlanders at Fort George, and with a few adjustments to our plan, we were able to spend as long as we liked touring the fort and the fantastic regimental museum there.
Aside from his fine driving skills and his professionalism as a guide, what came through most strongly is Bruce's great good humor and the joy with which he shared his knowledge and love of Scotland. Probably the most telling reference we could give is that by the second day, we were already planning where we could travel with Bruce on our next trip.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank David M
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could not have been better”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My partner and I toured Scotland and the Lake District with Bruce in October. Travelling with a 3 month old baby we were prepared for some tough times but this was not the case. Bruce was extremely well prepared with a great baby capsule which made the trip easy from the start. Bruce was incredibly knowledgable and an excellent guide. He was also very amusing and personable and we could not have felt more at home. Every element of our trip was wonderful - the locations he had chosen for us (with a special request to include castles), the accommodation, meal stops were all fantastic. We greatly enjoyed sharing a 'wee dram' in the evenings and were very sad to leave. I highly recommend Bruce's tours for anyone planning a trip to Scotland or nearby areas.

Visited October 2013