“Good food in lovely surroundings”
Review of The Inn at Torbrex

The Inn at Torbrex
Ranked #14 of 234 Restaurants in Stirling
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Inn at Torbrex re-opened in June '12, after a complete refurbishment & has returned to being the great local Pub it once was, but with the further attraction of good food. Decor is very relaxing & has character - also looks very appealing from outside of building.
Food is uncomplicated, beautifully presented & absolutely delicious. Value for money is easily achieved. Staff are really friendly, considerate & attentive without being intrusive. Even tho we wanted to order at 9.30pm, there was no issue, & food arrived promptly. The ambience of the whole Pub has a relaxed & friendly vibe & was very busy when we went (on a Tuesday evening). Weekends are a 'must book', rather than relying on chance, to avoid disappointment.
We noted that there seems to have been a lot of families - with fairly young children - during the earlier part of the evening, who ate upstairs, & clearly seemed happy.
Fantastic to have a quality local back, wishing it very longterm continued success.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Just what this slightly outa Town part of Stirling needed. Someone to take over this 18th Century Coaching Inn and add atmosphere and of course, Nice Food! Nice selection of Malt Whiskys, good Ales and even Magners Cider on Draft. Menu is fairly broad, considering the size of the place, offereing something tasty for Everyone, incl tasty dishes of the day. Not cheap n cheery, but not mad expensive either. Reasonably good VFM!. Its a sister house to the well known and Very popular "Birds Nn Bees" at causewayhead, the other side of Stirling and that in itself is a Great Recommendation!. Enjoy, and like me,...you'll likely be back again! :-)

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Eaten here 3 times (lunch) since it opened 6 weeks ago.

The good bits? First class upgrade of the premises. Very subjective but tasteful and in keeping with the building. Staff friendly and courteous. Prices reasonable and "something for everybody" as another reviewer commented.

Good and interesting selection of beers/ales that tempted me, a wine drinker, to try the beers.

The not so good? On two occasions there was nobody to "receive" us. When we did get the attention of someone we were asked what we needed and explained a table for 5 was required- "he would see what he could so."The chap didn't mean to be rude but it wasn't very "can do" in a virtually empty restaurant. Staff need to be better organised and the service quicker.Drinks processing behind Bar seemed a bit chaotic. Wrong bill on at least one occasion. Food is adequate but more "pub grub" than "gastro pub". Maybe that's intentional. Curries on two occasions very good.Creamed mushrooms and Fish n Chips average. Pasta on one occasion frankly very poor but I only found out from fellow diner afterwards or I would have complained.

A lot of money has been spent on renovating this place and it just needs that extra 15% of effort. I refrained from reviewing after first visit as it was very early on but have tried eaten there on three occasions now (last occasion about 3 weeks ago). It is a 10-15 minute walk away with a good catchment area.

I wish it well. So nearly there but not yet and no "Birds n' Bees".

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I've visited twice since the Inn opened recently. The decor is lovely, I'd have not set foot in the place prior to its refurbishment, but it is a perfect local serving good quality pub food, good wine and beer, the staff are friendly and I'd not hesitate to recommend. I'll be back, and often! Thank you - Stirling has long needed somewhere like this!!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Ate here with friends on a Thursday evening for a birthday meal. It's quite busy even during the week so be sure to book ahead. The booth table beside the window is the best table in the house.

The food was nice and reasonably priced. I enjoyed the salmon fish cake starter although it was very heavy on the potato & had been deep fried in breadcrumbs which it didn't tell you on the menu (not good when trying to watch what you eat). The vegetarian risotto main was very tasty but I thought the portion since was pretty poor - I am not that fast an eater but I had finished mine before my friends were even half way through. They had fish & chips, chicken tikka and a burger (not all on the same plate!) and there were no complaints. Total cost for 4 starters & 4 mains plus drinks was £80.

We'd also been in the previous week for drinks. They do great local ales & whiskies but it's a little on the pricy side to drink in regularly.

The decor is fab - I love the colours, natural wood, slate and mix of fabrics. I'll definitely be back even just to nurse a wee whisky or ale.