“Welcome to Scottish hospitality - NOT”
Review of Brenachoile Cafe

Brenachoile Cafe
Ranked #181 of 236 Restaurants in Stirling
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A great location for a cafe/restaurant and it should be thriving. The reason it may be busy is because it is the only option at that end of Loch Katrine rather than the best option.

On arriving for cappuccinos and scones for myself and two family members, we were presented with an uninspiring range of cakes on display and no real indication of what was available and how it should be ordered. We, and a separate party of four were watched - no stared at - while we deliberated and tried to work out how you should order. The whole thing is not helped by a lack of available pricing and menus - they are there, but tucked away instead of the normal highly visible and available lists.

So, we eventually ordered with one of the staff at a separate area. The reason for the lack of transparency on pricing became obvious - it was not cheap or even reasonable, it was expensive! but hopes were still high for a high quality offering which would justify the set-backs so far.

The scones arrived with heavily melted butter pat and a caterer's jam sachet (stylish!). We ate the scones and no coffees were forthcoming. It must have taken close to 10 minutes to get 3 cappuccinos sorted. This was not because they were busy but because the staff clearly could not care less and customers were an inconvenience. If they made coffee as well as they chatted to each other, then it would have been worth waiting for!

My drink was spilt into the saucer, so the server placed the saucer down first. I was expecting her to go away and come back with a clean saucer and a full coffee, but no; a napkin went into the wet saucer and the cup arrived on top.

Dreadful service, dreadful attitude and a dreadful advert for Scottish value and hospitality. There are so many better places, so if you are reading this and want to go to Loch Katrine, have a trip afterwards into Callander or Aberfoyle or any nearby hotel and get value, service and hopefully a smile rather than visit this place.

I hope they improve what is a very poor set-up, but I must say I will never be back to find out!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I am rating this "Scottish Restaurant" as terrible because it is the only Cafe / Restaurant on the Trossachs Pier and it was disgusting. When you have a captive audience as this "Cafe/Restaurant" does it should offer quality and a range of "Cafe/Restaurant" choices in a hygienic environment. This could not be classed as a "Restaurant" during the day. I can not comment on the evenings. A lazy venue not doing the best for visitors to Trossachs Pier .

In the daytime you can expect to find a standard cafe menu of sandwiches , paninis , jacket potatoes, afternoon tea etc. We were not aware of any specials until after we had ordered when we saw one! special lost on a little black board on one of the walls.

If serving a gelatinous dollop of haggis with translucent watery neeps in a jacket potato or offering cullen skink constitutes a Scottish restaurant then I have been to better Scottish restaurants in Cornwall and Yorkshire. As for the other claim of a warm welcome, don't expect waitress service or even eye contact until your food is ordered and paid for at the counter and hopefully served by a pleasant member of staff. We had one efficient if not rushed member of staff who was polite.

For the best view of the staff , stand in the car park and look up to the side of the restaurant where you will find them smoking.

When we walked in the smell of stale grease set the scene , followed by apparently blind staff , then dirty tables. After ordering the flies and the filthy sticky, floors and dusty windows and sills festooned with dead insects completely detracted from the stunning views and historic location. The venue is not as clean nor is the menu as diverse as the webpage images suggest.

Walking through the crowds on the pier I heard at least 5 different languages. I despair and cringe at the thought of the impression this eatery left our international tourists with.

The food we had was fresh. Cooked well but lacked flavour. I had to season copiously.

Save money and eat at the pier ice-cream kiosk !

Finally my husband took our child to the bathroom and walked straight out again. The pier facilities are much better and cleaner than here.

We ate there out of desperation after a 15 mile cycle round part of Loch Katrine with no venue to eat or drink on route . Had we been patient a few miles up the road we would have discovered a wonderful historical Tea Room and Restaurant called The Brig O'Turk . I highly recommend this warm professional venue with character and wonderful personal service rather than the Brenachoile Restaurant unless you just need to 'fuel up'.

The Brenachoile "Restaurant" was a bit of an embarrassment and not our best ambassador for the many treasures of Scotland!

1  Thank travelmuch_11
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! The drive from Kinlochard was wonderful. We passed many other lakes on the way. The scenery is spectacular. The coffee shop by the lake served the best cappuccino I'd had all holiday.

1  Thank ells57
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Had lunch here before our sailing. This is the only cafe/restaurant at Loch Katrine. They have a splendid situation, overlooking docking area, we sat outside as the weather was stunning on the day we visited. We visited at approximately 1.30pm. There was a BBQ advertised, but the coals weren't even on at this time.....so perhaps it was more for 'dinner' than lunch. Food had to be ordered and paid for at the bar. There was a reasonable selection of food available, I chose a salad and my husband and daughter chose panini's. at this point I would say that the speed of service was good, the food quality was good, although felt that the salad could have been a bit more interesting! However, the level of service provided was a bit 'wanting'. When I placed our order at the bar, the gentleman was characterless, perfunctory and did not smile once. The waitress brought our food outside and bought my husband a bottle of beer with no glass, we had to ask for one! I had to ask to have our table cleaned, as there had been food spilled from previous customers and had not been automatically cleaned? Why? Inside was a lovely space had the weather been cooler, however the windows were filthy, covered in streaks and handprints. We all used the toilets downstairs before leaving......well, that was an experience! Finally found one that had a toilet seat, only to find that it was not attached, once I sat down! The whole toilet area was dirty and uncared for. There is no need for this! We were surrounded by visitors from other countries, is this the impression we really we want to give them of Scotland? is this really the best we can do? Come on guys, show a bit of pride in your work! You have a stunning place to work, show it some love!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Despite other recent negative reviews of this cafe/restaurant, we were happy with our experience. Service was quick and friendly and the food at lunchtime, good and fairly priced. Also, there was an excellent and extensive choice. We would definitely return.

2  Thank sendmeanowl