“Another brilliant meal”
Review of Maharaja

Maharaja
Reserve with OpenTable
Maharaja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 222 Restaurants in Stirling
Price range: US$10 - US$23
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: TAM COWAN REVIEW IN "THE SCOTTISH SUN" ON FRIDAY 23rd MAY 2014
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Another brilliant meal”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A colleague and myself booked this restaurant for a retiral function. I cannot praise the efforts of management and staff enough for the quality of food and service which we received. From the moment we entered the restaurant until we left, we were very well treated and food was constantly served. A number of starters and main courses were put on the table ( not all at the one time, I may add), and each dish was outstanding.
I have dined here on numerous occasions and I am hooked on this being the best in Stirling.
Many thanks again to Ricky and staff for the courteous and efficient manner in which they delivered in excess of 30 starters, meals, and copious amounts of drink from the bar.
Very well done for a great evening.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Scottraveller19

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Durham, England
“Nice food... underhanded staff”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

It takes more than good food to make a good restaurant, and the Maharaja is proof indeed.

Firstly, the food. I ordered a takeaway from the Maharaja while I was stopping in Stirling in early May. No problem, "It'll be ready in 20 minutes, sir" and indeed it was.

I ordered 2 x poppadoms, Sheek kebab and Chicken Patia with a vegetable paratha.

Food was ready when I go there - at 6.40p.m. and the restauarant was totally empty. I asked for a VAT receipt ( so I could claim my meal against expenses as I was away from home ). Couple of minutes faffing around and I was handed my receipt ( carefully handed to me folded in two ) ....or so I thought.

I put it in my wallet and thought nothing more of it.

The food itself was very nice, not the best Indian I've had, but definitely in the top 10-15%.

Purely by chance I decided to put my receipt into a folder I keep for my expenses...this was around 9.30 that night. It was then I realised I'd been given no more than a restaurant order chit... they type you'd use to let the chef know what to cook. It had

NO HEADER

A VERY faint copy of the food order

NO TOTAL OF MONEY PAID.

INCORRECT VAT number..... only 7 digits, not 9.

I was less than pleased. I rang and spoke to a young lady... " we're very busy and I'll get the manager to ring you soon, sir" 30 minutes later, no call...so I chased up again. He was still busy, I tried to discuss it with the lady... absolutely blanked me. I left my number again.... and had no response whatsoever. Any decent and CARING restaurant would ensure they made contact with a customer, moreso after 2 phone calls to them within an hour.

My only summation of the events...... for whatever reason the manager didn't have / wanted to give me a receipt so palmed me off. I'd made it VERY plain I needed a VAT receipt and took his assurance that's what he handed me.... that'll teach me to be trusting!

Absolutely no complaints about the meal at all, very tasty. I'd love to say Good Value too... but as far as that's concerned, I was nearly £15 down due to the slippery behaviour of the manager.

Disappointing. Human nature, eh?

• Visited May 2014
21 Thank MikeC-R23
Surrey
“Curry heaven”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing new Indian in the centre of Stirling. We read the reviews and the Maharaja didn't disappoint. The menu is extensive, food quality exceptional and all reasonably priced, including drinks. Be warned - the naans are huge so you can easily share one between two or even three!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank JaxOnHols
“Miss g fuller”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Took my freind here for lunch had a 3 course lunch but couldnt fit in desert I swear we both had chicken tikka best av ever tasted in my life u have to go its fab

3 Thank Geraldine F
Melbourne, Australia
“Like to move them to Australia!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We were a little sceptical after reading a couple of less than complimentary reviews. However they completely won us over with a terrific meal in very pleasant surroundings. Our waiter (the boss?) took a while to warm up but was quite personable and friendly once he got going. We shared the Special starter for 2 and were surprised by the variety and quantity - it was excellent and accompanied by 4 different sauces/sambals. Main course options are aplenty and our chicken Balti was rich and very flavoursome. Boiled basmati rice seemed a little sparse and maybe overpriced but the combination was excellent. Drinks at reasonable prices. All in all an excellent meal. We would love our local in Australia to be this good!

Visited May 2014