“Sentimental Value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stirling
The Portcullis Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Doha, Qatar
“Sentimental Value”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stumbled on this place several years ago when looking for wedding venues in Scotland. We were too tired to look any further for a room, and they offered us a dinner booking in their otherwise packed (and fully booked) restaurant if we stayed. The common areas were a bit below standard, but the rooms are very nice, and the view of the castle from the corner room is stunning. The food at the restaurant is wonderful (I recommend the Highland Chicken) and after eating in several other places in town, we doubly appreciated it! The staff is very friendly and the breakfasts generous. We stayed here again for our actual wedding (room with the castle view, please) and then again just last week when we took our kids to Scotland for the first time. You can probably find "nicer" places but I like a bit of character...and my kids like the biscuits and hot chocolate in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I booked this visit for the end of a 3 week stay in Scotland...and I'm glad I did! Just yards from Stirling Castle and a view to die for. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was beautiful. The bathroom was all modern with nice tiling. The town was also worth the visit, so full of history...just like the Porcullis! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

We stUmbled in here through sheer lack of planning and the first two places we expected to stay we're booked or closed. we were just too tired to keep looking, and...have noooo regrets! In short, we ate lunch and dinner here (both surprisingly good and interesting options) as well as our breakfast! The place was just friendly and yummy and felt homey. (In our defense it was cold out and many things not yet open for the tourist season...and this place just too inviting to fight!)

It looks as though it's been recently rerfurbished. Stylishly done with new carpets, etc. As someone else mentioned on here our room was freezing at first but we just mentioned it Downstairs in the pub, they came up to check the heat and it was right toasty within 15minutes. No problem. We totally enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ptesinge
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This was my first visit to The Portcullis and I was impressed with the quality of the food.
The decor/chairs could be doing with an update and the staff were not as professional as could be (waiter told us of a previous customer wanting to come back to fight him??) but it was a relaxed atmosphere and to be honest my expectations were not too high for what I was looking for

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

A couple of us stayed here just before Christmas, unfortunately they had forgotten to make note of the fact and so the rooms were freezing cold as the heating had been turned off. The rooms look as though the have been recently refurbished and this maybe on-going as the communal areas such as the landings etc are pretty poor.
There is a bar downstairs which I believe serves food, we had a quick drink in here before going down in to town, this was good and the looked to have a pretty good crowd in, lots of English accents so I guess this isn't really a locals place.
The worst part of the stay for me was the dining room where they serve breakfast, there is an over-powering reek of rancid chip fat which has to be experienced to be believed! You have to walk through this room to get to your bedroom and its smells day and night. I went for a run around 6am and when I arrived back it was almost unbearable! I almost asked if we could eat our breakfast in the bar area, which looking back, I wish I had done as my clothes smelled appalling all day of grease. The breakfast itself was pretty terrible too so I don't know if this is an indication of the meals the serve in the bar.

Apart from this I have to say The Portcullis isn't a bad little hotel, for the money and looking at it relatively, it is much better than the Stirling Highland Hotel down the road.

One other thing, if you are in Stirling for pleasure and happen to be disabled, The Portcullis is at the top of the highest hill in town and can be a struggle to get to even if you are fit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you don't have to walk through the dining room!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
western ma
Reviewed 17 November 2012

After reading the great reviews decided to book here. The location was incredible..but the rooms were tiny. They didn't have fitted sheets ..or even hospital corners...in fact, if you lift your pillow you would see the mattress, uncovered by sheets.
Never seen a bed made this way.
The folks that work here are very nice.
My sister-in- law got sick to her stomach after eating the burger.
I would look elsewhere..or keep expectations low.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank susanWesternMa
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Well, the hotel is in a great location, I'll give it that. And a friendly, helpful staff. Room #1 has a nice view over the castle. But- lumpy beds. I could literally feel the bed springs poking me as they squeaked all night long while I tossed and turned.

The bathrooms seem to be recently remodeled but the water pressure in the shower was nil. I've literally had better showers in worse hotels in India. (the pressure in the sink was great!) .They give you a hair dryer, but there's no outlet near a mirror. Uhm, the lamps in the bedroom were stupidly dim, and what else? The duvets don't quite cover the beds, and you'll need a sherpa to carry your luggage if you have anything more than an overnight bag. Alll for £89 pounds!

But I want to say again, that the staff was great. Oh, and breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed October 2012