“The Wigan Hammer”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stirling
The Portcullis Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Stirling
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Wigan Hammer”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great hotel with a warm friendly atmosphere. The hotel is ideally located, but a little tight for parking. The food and drink was very good as was the staff. Not a lot we can say negative with regards to this place and would most definitely recommend it to those looking for an ideal place to eat and stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 233Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Johnstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Very welcoming and knowledgeable about beers. If you enjoy real ales you'll really appreciate this place. Staff are friendly and welcoming. If you enjoy history Stirling Castle is right next door! Food is good too.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Judith P
Forfar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Because this is a converted OLD school it gives the feeling and character of the the Castle next door from creaking floorboards to stone castle style walls on the way to the rooms. The room we had was in character with the ambiance of the building it is 3 star but take in where you are and accept the water pressure could be stronger and the southerly wind might be giving slightly more air conditioning than the authentic single glazing can hold out, just look out the window, the view is amazing! We stayed one night (an escape) booked restaurant (must book) the food is very good and service despite being busy was very good, value for money. The young staff running the place were very efficient and nothing was too much trouble from check in to breakfast very efficient my comment well done the the young generation from a mature generation!

Room Tip: Book the south facing room with en-suite (room2)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Errol L
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This place is right next to Stirling castle and I ate there. The food was basic but very tasty with good portions. The staff are really nice and would recommend to visit. There is a nice courtyard and the bar area is nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Auchtubh8
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My Stay at the Portcullis was after a very long drive, so when I arrived in the evening I was starving! I was welcomed by the very friendly and helpful staff that booked me in and showed me to the bar / dining area. So I could order an evening meal.

I ordered from the menu a Portcullis Cheeseburger. It sounded fairly grand but when it turned it was a fairly good quality burger ruined with a slice of Tesco value cheese on the top and the most revolting salad garnish, which would have made the meal look better if they’d left it off altogether.

My room was really nice actually; the Wi-Fi worked really well so well in fact that I could watch Sky Go on my Laptop, the room was nice and peaceful and I slept like a brick.

I would stay here again as the room was really good value but I’d probably eat out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Ended up in the portcullis recently just for a drink or two and was impressed with the bar staff who were friendly and helpful. I liked the decor even if it seemed a bit dated, and the history of the building which was on a plaque on the wall outside! Although I didnt try the food, the menu seemed very standard. Would happily return when in the area!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank capitalG
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed at the Portcullis for 1 night while driving from St. Andrews to Edinburgh. Lynne and her son were so helpful. Our original B&B arrangements at another place were cancelled due to a "family problem" (not ours). We needed 3 rooms for the 5 of us, but they were all right next to each other. The rooms were clean, TVs worked well and amenities were great. We ate in the restaurant that evening which was delicious and the included breakfast the next morning was also wonderful. We cannot say enough about our stay. And, the hotel is located at the foot of Stirling Castle so the views are awesome.

Stayed December 2013