“A really hospitable stay and excellent value for money....”

Central House Guest House
Ranked #2 of 5 Pontypridd B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This guest house is just outside Pontypridd with lovely views over the valley. Pontypridd is not a holiday resort and therefore attracts many different people for different reasons. I was there to research my ancestors but many were there for the University which has a campas in walking distance. The cleanliness is evident immediately and the standard of my ensuite room was comparable to a hotel. On arrival I was given a welcome drink and biscuits and the owners couldn't do enough for me. My car broke down whilst I was there and John drove me to an appointment and even offered to take me to others! A car is definitely required because of its location but it is fair to say that a car is a necessity for the area anyway. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this guesthouse and would certainly return if I am in the area.

Room Tip: The location is very quiet and no bother with noise. I had the 1st floor front room with beautiful v...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Pulizia immaculata! Cordiali. Bella panorama.
Ottimo rapporto qualità prezzo.
Squeeky clean! Very hospitable. Beautiful view.
Good Quality and price. Not a five star hotel, but a very quaint bed n breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ACcobra12
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have yet to stay at a guesthouse rivalling such superb value for money. The owners are meticulous about the standard of accommodation they offer at a very reasonable (too reasonable rate). I know for a fact that the owners are very fussy about bedding and their breakfasts having spoken to them about the painstaking hours spent laundering and ensuring that the bedrooms are up to standard. These are the 2 things I look for in any accommodation I choose. I stayed there while some work was being done on my house.

On a personal level, the owners do anything they can for you. I imagine the last review was written in frustration at the lack of their own organisation, at no fault of the owners. Some hot heads live in their own misery and make matters more miserable for themselves. I'm sure they missed out on a good stay.

The location is ideal for exploring some of the most beautiful parts of South Wales being central to the Beacons and equally close to Cardiff City Centre. Treforest also offers a wide range of eating and drinking establishments. It is also very close to the University of South Wales so I imagine its is a great asset to parents visiting their children.

I will see this warm couple again. Thankyou.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank dr_hard_to_please
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I booked in 2 single rooms for myself and my brother for wednesday 24th April 2014. We informed the owners when we'd be arriving, had to change times but they acknowledged the change. The owner John wasn't very helpful on the phone but it was last minute so we went ahead with the booking. After a very long and tiring day, we arrived at the time stated to find no-one in, waited for half an hour then finally saw their mobile number on the Board at the entrance. After a brief phone call, they arrived back. By this time, we'd been waiting 3/4 hour. The owners said hello, walked into the Guest House and left us alone in the car-park! I went in a few minutes later, John just said hello again and I repeated that we'd been waiting for 3/4 hour and would like an apology. He looked at me and said, 'I apologise'. That was it, no warm greetings, no welcome and an insincere apology. I felt really uncomfortable staying there after that and we found somewhere else to stay. John had my payment card details from when I paid the deposit by phone, so he had his money and couldn't have cared less about his customers.
We felt totally disappointed and ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't bother going there.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Central G, Manager at Central House Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

We are truly sorry that your experience with Central House Guest House did not meet your expectations. If you wish, you may contact us at centralhousewales@gmail.com and provide us with more information about the issue. (please note no money was taken for this booking)

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Central House Guest House is a large guest house in Pontypridd. John and Denise are lovely people, incredibly welcoming (eg they defrosted my car while I had breakfast one wintry morning).

The rooms are comfortable, though I did find it a bit unusual that there was no tv or tea/coffee in the rooms; I didn't use the tv lounge, but relied on wifi and iplayer instead. I would have preferred in-room facilities. Bed linen was a little dated, but the shower was excellent. A tasty breakfast.

If you don't like incense then this is not for you as there is incense in the entrance hall, and this, plus the room facilities would be the only reason I might look elsewhere in the future. But if you do book in, be assured you will be well looked after!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Claire A
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a very friendly establishment, John and Denise are very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. It is very reasonably priced, which is why no doubt it was full up with tradesmen during the middle of the week. The welsh breakfast is freshly cooked and there is plenty of cereal, toast etc. to keep the most hungry traveller satisfied.

This clean and tidy guest house is located at the top of Stow hill (which is very steep) not far from the A470 dual carriageway. There are a number of pubs and other restaurants within a few minutes walk down the bottom of the hill, but they are rather basic. On a Wednesday night the best pub was packed with students from the local university.

The bedrooms are sufficient and the shower is very good. There is a small bedside table on which you can, at a push, balance a laptop. The nylon bed linen and the burning joss stick in the hall is very much a question of personal taste. Be aware the rooms do not have a TV or drink making facilities - these are in the communal lounge.

The railway station is 5 mins walk at the bottom of the hill. It is only 20 mins into Cardiff on the train. Much longer by car in rush hour as the A470 is very congested at times.

Room Tip: Room 3 is a single and has something of a view across the valley.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jobberdave
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst visiting the University of South Wales. Even when I rang to book the hospitality and kindness was evident - I enquired about taxis and was told not to worry about it, that I should ring from the station and someone would collect me. And that is what happened. I was also taken to my appointment at the university the next morning. No extra charge - indeed, even my offer to contribute to petrol costs was refused. It rained throughout my stay which made going out for an evening meal difficult. John and Denise were most helpful in arranging a take-away for me - I cannot speak highly enough of their helpfulness. I was also impressed by the excellent breakfast - with offers of more toast or coffee. This is a low price high quality guest house and I recommend it to all who have to be in that part of Wales.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business