“Dirty and run down ”

Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Upper Boat Inn
Ranked #85 of 108 Restaurants in Pontypridd
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you’re up for a party, watching sport or meeting with friends and family for a bite to eat, the The Upper Boat Inn in Pontypridd is the place to relax and unwind. We’ve something for all the family – from our freshly carved, slow cooked roasts exactly how you like them, tasty pub food classics such as hand battered fish and steak and ale pie – all available on any day of the week. What’s more, every day we make our own fresh dough so you can tuck into freshly made stone baked pizzas and garlic bread. Or, we have a range of burgers and vegetarian dishes – and all main courses come with unlimited veg, salad and sides. With every plateful offering cracking value, it's no wonder locals in and around can't get enough.
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Been coming here for a long time, hoping it would improve but NO it hasn't. Only use it because it's local. Wouldn't recommend it anyone. The place is embarrassing, it's so dirty, I can't understand how it hasn't been closed down years ago, the toilets are so dirty, that you have to be desperate to use them. Let's hope the refurbishment is good, otherwise it will be a waste of money

General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Upper Boat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

Hi Sadie! We regret to hear that you had this experience with us, but we are currently now under new management and would love if you could take the opportunity to help us make thing right again. Thanks Again Upperboat Team.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I do enjoy the carvery here but the cleanliness of the premises lets it down..

salt n peppers cellars always have gravy or remnants of food on them..I tend to keep wipes in my handbag so I give them a clean myself.

food dropped on floor tends to stay there, even after making certain staff aware.

The carvery self service food area is messy looking where food had been dropped, ie carrots, peas chips etc which lay on the surfaces as well as mixed in with each other..totally understand the busy periods but a quick tidy up takes seconds!!! as the saying goes presentation is a big part of food..

Having got the negative bits out of the way here's the best bits...

The quality of food and variety is always fabulous. The meats are always tender n juicy and happily noted served with a smile n quick chat..well done carvery chefs..

All veg is fresh and cooked to perfection and plentiful, so too are the Gravy's & condiment sauces.

Staff I've engaged with are polite.

Seat waiting times, if any, are quick.
As said I regularly visit here and enjoy the carvery

Hi! We appreciate your honest review. We set a high standard for ourselves, so we are disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not a positive one. We are now currently under new management and would love if you could take the opportunity to give us another try to make things right. Thank Again Upperboat Team.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Went for Sunday carvery, we waited for a slightly quieter time to arrive (3.30) but it was still quite busy.
No ice at the bar and given a very hot glass for my drink (reviews on here from previous weeks mention no ice). Lots of tables full of uncollected plates.
Queued for 20 mins at the carvery whilst witnessing a huge queue who had had their food and were waiting for gravy. The boy/man who was carving the meat went in and out of the kitchen repeatedly without serving waiting customers and then came out into the bar and started clearing mounds of dirty plates! He reappeared a few mins later back to carry on carving!
As we neared our turn the vision of the carnage of dropped food everywhere, turines of 'fresh' food piled on top of each other with dried on food was too much to bear and we asked for a refund.
Big shortage of staff and shocking standards for the ones that they had.

Hi! We regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around. We are currently under new management and would love it if you could take the opportunity to help us make things right again. Thanks again Upperboat Team.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Had Sunday lunch here some weeks ago. The food was ok, but the pub looked like it could do with a good clean through. It was impossible to find a chair that wasn't stained with food or drink. We had a table for 4 which was in the corner and felt very cramped.
We were a family group with a small child. Myself and my daughter queued for 35 minutes for the carvery, when we finally sat down with our food, my son in law queued for his for over half an hour, which meant we couldn't eat together. My grandson's meal arrived and as the waitress put his food on the table, her sleeve went in my dinner.
I was watching the young girl trying to carve the meat and it was obvious she was totally out of her depth, surely it would make more sense to use experienced staff at such busy times. The food was ok, but i wouldn't rush back.

General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Upper Boat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thanks for the review Sue. I appreciate the building is tired and in need of a full refurb which is happening in the next few weeks. As for the queues we do try to serve everyone as quick as possible however due to our popularity there can be a wait. All the issues you have highlighted could have been dealt with on the day had you informed us and if you queue together you get served together meaning you eat together. Pop back and try is after our refurb but beware it will be busier

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

My friend and myself decided to go here for a Carvery after shopping in Tesco, we were served quickly at the bar with our drinks but didn't have any Ice for My friends drink, when we went to get our food the meat was carved quite thin and was only given half a slice so we asked if we could have some more meat which they did, they ran out of Mash Potatoes and had to wait nearly 5 minutes for them to bring more which meant the Meat, other Veg and Plates went cold, the Beef was tough and the Gammon was salty, but what happened next put me off, the Chef went to get more Yorkshire Puddings out he was using a dirty T Towel to bring the dish out then put the Dirty T Towel around his neck and proceded to carry on Carving Meat. I was thinking of booking for a Christmas Meal but this has put me off going there again for food.

2  Thank JAYNE P
General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Upper Boat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Jayne, please accept my sincere apologies that your visit was not a great experience. I will be passing your comments to the team and aWe will be closing in 2weeks time during which retraining will be conducted in preparation for our reopening following a full refurb and conversion to a Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery. I do hope you could call agin and hopefully we can restore some faith and get you booked up for Christmas as it is already proving popular. Hope to see you soon