“Generally very nice and fabulous view”
Review of Beachside Barbecue

Beachside Barbecue
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Saundersfoot
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Beachside Barbecue opened in May 2016 as a new concept for Saundersfoot. Located by Saundersfoot harbour, overlooking the beach. We're all about Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and Fish. Featuring melt in the mouth, "low and slow" authentic barbecue cooked in our Hard Wood Pit Smoker (all the way from the USA) and a Lump Wood Charcoal Oven. Taking reservations or walk ins we look forward to welcoming you to Beachside Barbecue.
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Went about a week ago at 5pm. They serve full menu all day which is a boon as many places in Pembs barely do lunch and evenings in the winter. I have only been once in it's current format, so this review is based on one visit.

There was a young (I think Italian) waiter on duty and I swear he could work in Claridges! He was brilliant. I suspect he was shipped over from sister-business St Brides Hotel. My fellow diner and I both went for the fisherman's platter. Photo attached. This was a stack of mixed fish topped with king prawns and decorated with mussels, in a lovely white wine sauce, flavoured with some nice aniseed-type thing, probably fennel. the fish was nicely cooked and the presentation was excellent. The only thing that let the meal down was the chips. They were bought in frozen ones which were over-cooked and ended up brown and largely hollow and hard. I have given the food a 4 rating based on the quality of the main component of the meal. If I could have done a 3.5, I would have. I think if you are paying restaurant level prices, £18 per main, the chips should be a lot better.

This hasn't put me off going again, I will probably try again the next time the Marina chip shop (another sister business I think) has run out of hake! Probably one of the best 'open all day' options in South Pembs, apart from my pub which I'm not allowed to name :)

StBrides, Manager at Beachside Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great reviews for the Mermaid & Marina. Your comments have been passed on to our teams in both establishments and we all hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Sarah Hughes

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Food served was cold for most of our party of 16 people, very pricey for the quality of food, drinks served are way over priced for what you have (175ml glass of white wine £5.75, a little much for a small glass), would never recommend this to any person staying in Saundersfoot and we will certainly not return in the future.

1  Thank MarkSamuel32
StBrides, Manager at Beachside Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

We are sorry that you left our restaurant dissatisfied as we do endeavour to meet guest expectations at all times.

I understand the table was booked for 10 people, On arrival we were informed that the party had increased to 16. This was not a problem and we duly accommodated your party on 2 tables next to each other.

When checking for satisfaction during the meal one couple commented on the food temperature and the waitress immediately offered to replace or reheat any of the meals that were not hot enough, this offer was declined, I followed up by offering complimentary desserts. This offer was also declined and an adjustment was made to the bill, one guest did however accept the offer of a free dessert. Unfortunately no other matters were brought to my attention at the time.

Regarding the wine pricing our small glasses (125ml) start at £3.50 and our most expensive large glass (175ml) £5.75 all prices are clearly stated on our menus and the price reflects the quality of the product we serve. We are registered for VAT at 20% which is also reflected in the price.

Please be assured that we do take all feedback seriously and your comments have been shared with the team and any action where necessary will be taken.

Sarah

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked a meal on a Saturday evening timed to coincide with the firework display on Saundersfoot Harbour. We arrived early for our table and were immediately shown to our table next to a window. All members of staff were were very professional, our meals were served quickly but not in a rush; in short the service was excellent. The meals were also fine, but in my opinion the actual restaurant itself is too reminiscent of a canteen to do justice to the staff, menu and prices charged.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

As a group of 6 adults and 4 children we arrived to be seated reasonably quickly. We then waited for what felt like an age to be offered drinks/food, to the point where we had to check whether it was indeed table service. Once the drinks had been ordered we waited. Again. And only after 20 minutes did they bring our drinks and take our food order.

At £12 for 2 courses, it was more than we were hoping to pay, but were happy to splash out for a quality Sunday lunch. After over an HOUR wait for food (by which point my 11month old was thankfully chewing on the crisps I had brought as an emergency in my bag!) the starters were delivered. They looked nice and tasted hot and fresh, however my fish goujons were sitting in a pool of oil and I find it very hard to understand HOW it took so long for them to be cooked?? No member of staff bothered to ask if everything was alright with our food, and no second drinks order was ever taken, so only one round of drinks were consumed. After another long wait, a few grumbles and wistful looks at other diners food our Sunday lunches were brought out. By this point we had been at the Mermaid for over an hour and a half.

The beef was tasty, as were the roast potatoes. The new potatoes were hard and tasteless, and whilst the dish of mixed vegetable all looked a shade of orangey/yellow I can't comment on how they tasted as they failed to bring our vegetable dish out and only after we explained we were missing half our lunch did they offer to bring it out. By this time we had almost finished so it was pointless. One of our group also received no gravy, leaving the meal somewhat dry. Our table did receive gravy, but two steaming jugs of the thin brown liquid were placed directly in front of my 11 month old son and had to be moved very quickly by me to prevent a serious accident taking place. Not impressed.

So all in all, whilst the views of the sea (from over other diners' heads) were beautiful, and the restaurant seemed clean, for me the service was non existent and the wait for food was SO long it made me very reluctant to pay over £100 for the experience.

Sadly unless the team there suddenly receive a personality transplant, or at least some adequate training on how to make your customers feel welcome, I would not be recommending the Mermaid to anyone. At all. Ever.

1  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Had a birthday meal with my family here on a Saturday evening. The service was great from the moment we walked in, till the moment we left. All in all we had fish cakes with chilli dip, scampi, gammon, steak & ale pie and children's sausage & chips. All were lovely and arrived within good time. The decor is lovely & clean and the views are fantastic too. Would definitely go again.