“Stranded on the Rocks”

Price range: US$10 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Beachside Barbecue opened in May 2016 as a new concept for Saundersfoot. Located by Saundersfoot harbour, overlooking the beach. We're all about Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and Fish. Featuring melt in the mouth, "low and slow" authentic barbecue cooked in our Hard Wood Pit Smoker (all the way from the USA) and a Lump Wood Charcoal Oven. Taking reservations or walk ins we look forward to welcoming you to Beachside Barbecue.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I don't want to be too harsh as the Mermaid is what it is. For me it was a lower standard (than you know which national) fish and chip restaurant. Cod and chips was fine, my bread and butter was fine, and my pot of tea excellent. I give the tea a special mention as all too often restaurants charge to much and skimp with the tea. Whereas on this occasion the third cup was as good as the first. My criticism is all about the mushy pea shortage that had hit this part of Wales during our visit, and that the aforementioned peas mush was cold. I know, I could have complained and they would have sorted me out. But sometimes life is tough enough without complaining and on this occasion we just wanted our scoff. So my hot container but cold inside mushy peas were left stranded on the rocks, a bit like a Mermaid.

TIPS: (1) this is a first floor spacious restaurant that might occasionally get busy so think about booking if you are in the area and visiting the Mermaid is your plan, (2) the menu extends well beyond fish and chips, (3) the staff are lovely, (4) the restaurant is on the first floor and the WC is on the second floor so if mobility is a problem this may not be the one for you, (5) the nearby car park is circa £3 in the evening, but there are on road parking spaces if you are fortunate enough to find one

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Very last minute decision to go for dinner... and as usual great welcome, fantastic food and fantastic service. Had the fish platter for 2, but could of served 4. Fish always cooked perfectly.
Sister had the battered fish and chips which was huge!! Again could of been for 2 people.
Fantastic.

Stbrides-1, Manager at Beachside Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you very much. I am pleased you enjoyed your last minute dinner and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The board outside promised breakfast so taken aback that it was still closed at 10:45, a local
said opening time varied quite a lot. When a staff member did turn up she was clearly in a
grumpy mood. by that time we had given up on breakfast so just ordered drinks. Served with
ill grace and the coffee slopped down the side. I can only assume that the tables with good
sea views sell this otherwise customer unfriendly restaurant

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Very friendly staff, but could have been more attentive. Food was delicious and plentiful. Very clean and pleasant environment.

Thank you for visiting. We are pleased you enjoyed your meals and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Really good staff in here, and my only grumble was that the bottom of my burger bun wasn't toasted, so crumbled a bit near the end, but it was very good.

Really catered well for kids - when we asked for starters, the first question they instinctively asked was if we wanted the kids meals to come with the starters - and my son's chicken nuggets looked absolutely amazing - let me tell you I've eaten at some Michelin places, but his chicken nuggets, but these made my mouth water - succulent chicken breast and lovely colour !!!

To be fair, the food was actually really, really good

It's quite tucked away - the entrance is next to the usual seaside fishing net and bucket/spade shop - but worth popping in, and if you can get the table in the corner with an amazing window over the beach, then all the better - seats loads and has stunning views !

Thank you very much for your great feedback! I am so pleased you enjoyed your food at The Mermaid and have shared your comments with the team. Come back and see us soon.