“Good food, great sea view, good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Beachside Barbecue

Beachside Barbecue
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Saundersfoot
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood, Barbecue, British
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Beachside Barbecue opened in May 2016 as a new concept for Saundersfoot. Located by Saundersfoot harbour, overlooking the beach. We're all about Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and Fish. Featuring melt in the mouth, "low and slow" authentic barbecue cooked in our Hard Wood Pit Smoker (all the way from the USA) and a Lump Wood Charcoal Oven. Taking reservations or walk ins we look forward to welcoming you to Beachside Barbecue.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good food, great sea view, good service”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed in Saundersfoot for three nights and this place was busy every day and evening but with good reason. We were lucky to get a table for two on a Saturday evening without reservations. The service was good, the portions and quality was great. The highlight was the beautiful sea view though. Highly recommended!

Visited July 2014
Stbrides-1, Manager at Beachside Barbecue, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meals with us and do hope you come back to see us again soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“a posh fish and chip shop”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nice welcome by the staff - but then they weren't busy. We had a lovely table over looking the bay. The food was good and the fish especially was nice. Very generous portions, but this was welcomed by 3 teenagers and a hungry husband. Quite reasonable prices. I was however not very impressed with the toilets - not very clean - and then to cap it all a person from the kitchen appeared to visit the loo and didn't remove their apron before going in. I can only hope they washed their hands !! This happened after I had finished my meal and paid otherwise I would have thought twice about staying to eat there. Good food but I am left wondering about the hygiene standards

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals and found The Mermaid welcoming.

The team understand and appreciate our strict hygiene standards which is reflected in official food hygiene rating score of 5 out of 5. Our kitchen team do use the same flight of stairs to access a walk-in freezer situated on the upper floor, but do not use the WC whilst in full uniform.

Our toilets are cleaned regularly during the day as well as a deep clean before opening each morning so I am sorry that you felt these facilities were not up to standard.

I do wish you had mentioned this to me at the time as I could have put your mind at rest sooner.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Sarah
“If you like fresh fish, this is the plaice (sorry!)”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Mermaid is nothing like as glamorous as its name, but the food is excellent and it is definitely worth a visit if you enjoy fresh fish. There is plenty of other food on the menu but it is their fish that sets them apart. With a marvellous view across the bay, and ample parking right outside the door, it is a regular favourite of ours.

1 Thank KTHXBAI
Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted you enjoyed your fish and the stunning views!

Please do come again soon.

Swansea
“Been three times, won't visit again!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have visited the mermaid twice last year and one this. We were given a nice pre booked table by the window with great views as requested. Friendly introduction by the waitress on the desk, but after that, in my opinion it was just average. We had two trainee staff serving us, and in fairness, they were learning the ropes. Starters were ok, but nothing special. I went for the Bream and again, nothing special. On this occasion, it was just an average restaurant with great location.
I believe that it is owned by the St Brides hotel, and having eaten there a few times, it genuinely leaves a lot to be desired, with high prices. I hope it was just a bad evening, but for me, it will be mulberry next time as it looked very good when we have had a drink there.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jduke815
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed the views and found the team helpful but disappointed to read that you found your meal to be average. We cook all our meals fresh to order using locally sourced ingredients where possible. Without any further detail to explain where we failed to meet your expectations, it is difficult for me to investigate your feedback.

We do hope you try us again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Wales
“Stranded on the Rocks”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I don't want to be too harsh as the Mermaid is what it is. For me it was a lower standard (than you know which national) fish and chip restaurant. Cod and chips was fine, my bread and butter was fine, and my pot of tea excellent. I give the tea a special mention as all too often restaurants charge to much and skimp with the tea. Whereas on this occasion the third cup was as good as the first. My criticism is all about the mushy pea shortage that had hit this part of Wales during our visit, and that the aforementioned peas mush was cold. I know, I could have complained and they would have sorted me out. But sometimes life is tough enough without complaining and on this occasion we just wanted our scoff. So my hot container but cold inside mushy peas were left stranded on the rocks, a bit like a Mermaid.

TIPS: (1) this is a first floor spacious restaurant that might occasionally get busy so think about booking if you are in the area and visiting the Mermaid is your plan, (2) the menu extends well beyond fish and chips, (3) the staff are lovely, (4) the restaurant is on the first floor and the WC is on the second floor so if mobility is a problem this may not be the one for you, (5) the nearby car park is circa £3 in the evening, but there are on road parking spaces if you are fortunate enough to find one