The Old Chemist Inn
Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Saundersfoot
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Family pub and restaurant with large beer garden which provides direct access onto Saundersfoot's award winning beach. Good food served daily. Real Ales. Happy hour between 4-6pm. Live music throughout the main summer months. Dogs are welcome in our beer garden and bar area.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This small place is so GOOD!!!
They have free wi-fi that works!
And there food so good I wood good there if you are in Saundersfoot!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I visited the Chemist last year and was slightly disappointed. This year, after reading that the new chef had won an award, I was looking forward to eating there again. Unfortunately, it still did not make me want to go back. The interior has not changed which is good and the ordering system is still fine but the food is not anywhere near as good or tasty as it was 2years ago.
It's a lovely pub, in a fantastic position and could be getting so much more trade if it could just get the food right.
Just being honest. Would love to see it improve.

OldChemistInn, Manager at The Old Chemist Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hello, thank you for your review. I'm not sure exactly when you visited but it seems to have been during the last couple of weeks. Since the start of the summer holidays a few weeks ago we have been doing in excess of 200 meals a day, everyday. This is in a 35 seater restaurant plus some overflow seating downstairs and the beer garden (weather depending). This has meant that all our tables have been full at all times during the periods that we serve food so I'm not sure where you would expect us to seat this extra trade that you talk about. On that note we would advice our customers that booking in advance is recommended.

I'm not sure if you are perhaps a friend of the previous tenants of the pub but many of our other reviews state how much better the food is than 2 years ago and this is also reflected in our reviews and ratings which are consistently better than they were back then.

We did win the cawl trail award in Saundersfoot this year and we employ 2 very skilled chefs so our food is always sent out to a very high standard using fresh local produce with all our dishes being home made.

We also now have a five star food hygeine rating which is a significant improvement on the 2 stars achieved 2 years ago before we took over.

We do appreciate all feedback that we get from our customers, although face to face feedback is always more helpful than that on tripadvisor when we have no opportunity to address any problems or correct any mistakes. I do find this feedback however to be very vague so it is difficult for us to be able to take anything away from it.

We hope that you do choose to visit us again.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was our first time in Saundersfoot having normally only traveled as far as the Gower.
We stumbled upon the Old Chemist Inn on our second day. I was recommended to go there by a local taxi driver. We called in the daytime and had a few beers whilst overlooking the bay, wow with the weather as good as it was you could have been anywhere in the world. After looking at the menu and the food going out that day decided to then book in later that evening.
The Staff were extremely attentive even though they were rushed off their feet. We were told there could be a 30-45 minute wait which was fine as when you have views like the chemist and lots of alcohol, who cares!
The food eventually came out within around 30 minutes.
My wife had a whole lobster with lovely mixed dressed salad and new potatoes for just £25 from the specials board WOW!
I had the Lasagne, you could tell it was homemade and it was massive with a lovely salad, garlic bread slices and coleslaw for £9.95.
My wife went for a dessert with the Apple Betty Pie and custard, again lots of it and only £4.50.
So all in all a fab experience. We visited a couple of other places in the area during the week but ended up coming back to the Chemist twice more before our return sampling other meals from specials and the main menu. The Sea Bass special really was special!
Well done the Chemist and the staff you are doing a great job, we will be recommending and will also be back!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I both enjoyed a meal at The Old Chemist whilst staying in Saundersfoot, it is a lively pub/restaurant so as a previous reviewer has said, it not somewhere to go if you want a quiet romantic meal, there probably are a few too many tables but you can't blame them for wanting to capitalise on the business while they can. I chose the fish pie, which was delicious and crammed full of a variety of fish finished off with a cheesy topping, my husband chose a chicken pie, which again was full of meat, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend a visit. There is also pleasant garden to the rear which overlooks the beach, the owners have recently invested in heaters so that it can be used on cooler evenings, be aware that there are quite steep steps down to the garden so not really suitable of pushchairs or someone who has mobility problems. It was very busy both time we visited but I didn't feel that there was an undue wait for anything.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I have just enjoyed an excellent meal at The Chemist. My chicken curry was delicious and an ample portion. My wife's sea bass was beautifully presented and excellent in flavour - far superior to the more expensive dish we were served a few nights ago in a nearby more pretentious setting. Service was friendly and efficient - the restaurant is clearly thriving and on the up. Well done guys - we'll be back.