“Can`t wait to return”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saundersfoot
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Can`t wait to return”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The staff were very helpful and attentive and our bedroom-115- was so well appointed with stunning views.
Eating in the restaurant was such a pleasure ,the high quality of the food and the position of the dining rooms provided a wonderful experience.
Would certainly recommend this hotel and will be back soon !!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RHIAN177
Stbrides-1, Owner at St Brides Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Great! Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed so thoroughly and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our second visit to St. Brides Spa and can't wait to book to come back again. The hotel is beautiful, the views "heb eu hail" (second to none is the closest english translation i think), and the facilities are superb.
The staff - reception, restraunt and housekeeping - are all very good at their jobs and treat you as what you are - a paying guest - rather than an inconvienience as some other hotels do.
We upgraded from our first visit and stayed in a better room with a sea view and it was worth the extra cost. I would recommend room 208 for the space and the amazing view from the balcony. The only negative about the room is that it was very warm, although there are fans provided.
I'm suprised that other reviews have been negative about having to book the spa - it clearly states in your booking confirmation that booking is essential, and it means that there's a relaxed atmoshphere as it isn't crammed with people. Again, one negative was that my treatment was definately shorter than I paid for.
The food was amazing and the waiting staff very helpful. Yes, they are mostly European, and this means that they are very efficient and polite. The only dissappointment was the afternoon tea on the day we left - I'd probably give it a miss next time we visit.
I think this is the kind of hotel that you come to for a treat, a relaxing destination hotel where you are waited on hand and foot. I love it.

Room Tip: room 208 has an amazing view from the balcony. go for a standard sea view room rather than the best...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CHL86
Stbrides-1, Owner at St Brides Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience of St Brides. I am delighted to read all your positive comments and have shared them with the team.

Your spa treatment should have been the full duration you paid for and I am sorry you feel it was cut short. Had you mentioned this at the time we could have investigated and compensated you in some way. You also mention that our afternoon tea was a disappointment. My Food and Beverage Manager Christophe would have been happy to discuss any feedback you had at the time to hopefully resolve your displeasure then. I am sorry we did not pick up on your feelings on the day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to St Brides again soon.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic views, attentive staff and very comfortable rooms. Came back on an upgrade offer with a free bottle of bubbles- good times.
Great breakfast, we havn't eaten in the restaurant as there Is a great choice of restaurants locally. Will be back again

2 Thank Stuart D
Brilliant! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your return visit and your complimentary bubbles! We look forward to seeing you for stay number three.

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We rented an apartment. It was tastefully furnished with good attention to detail, it looked straight out of USA East Coast, Hamptons sea side brochure - same colours etc. There's nothing Welsh about this hotel. All the 'garden' apartments are in the car park, near the main road down the hill and this along with the staff parking their cars woke us up every morning. The doors to the bedrooms are extremely heavy and have an electronic locking device that can only be opened with a staff card -worrying if there's a fire. The front door had no inside lock or chain, so if the 'do not disturb' sign blows off, the housekeeper will come flying through the door. The shower changed temperature and had been plumbed back to front. So 'cold' is 'hot'. The bedside lamp buzzed from the wrong light bulb being put in it. The bath plug wouldn't open. The fridge has no ice compartment. Toiletries are good and the maid did a great job of cleaning our apartment and the towels/sheets are good quality. The beds are ridiculously high to get into and we're both tall.

The Spa is very small nicely designed and have an excellent view of the beach. I didn't see any signs saying 'shower before using facilities' so the steam rooms stank of aftershave and the small infinity/jacuzzi had a scummy oily film on the water surface and on the walls, wet discarded towels dumped everywhere with 3 bored looking spa receptionist doing nothing. The massage was enjoyable, the therapy room was spacious and I liked the heated massage bed. The 60 min massage was 45 mins. The showers are downstairs, changing rooms upstairs. Again problems with water pressure and cold swiftly changing to hot.

We couldn't book a window table in the restaurant - no one can. Even if you're staying there and dinner is part of your package. The restaurant is overpriced and pretentious with too many waiters none of which know what they're doing. A bowl of luke warm beef noodles for £18 that they call 'Asian beef salad'. Service was appalling, a few language barriers as most of the staff were European - who were well intentioned and eager to please but we were asked 6 times if our food was okay? Took our food to the wrong table and forgot our sides. The second time we ate there the waitress didn't know what was in an appetiser and told us we didn't need to order sides. No fish knives to eat bony fish with and main course arrived while eating first. It wasn't busy. We wouldn't have eaten here again if it wasn't part of our 'package'. The breakfast has beans served in a ramekin on a doily! So pretentious! See my restaurant review if you want more details. I would try 'Coast' restaurant fine dining and 'The Mermaid' their sister restaurant for casual dining.

The views are lovely, the reception staff very helpful. Have no idea who runs/owns this place. I did ask for an email for them but reception wouldn't give it me. Main clientele were are middle aged from the local oil refineries when we were there. We loved Saunderfoot but wouldn't return to this hotel. There was nothing authentic about it and I think it's the lack of competition that means it can charge London prices. We paid £1000 for three days here - a rip off!

13 Thank Miquelon332
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

I am disappointed that you did not share this with us during your stay. After reading your feedback it seems there were many factors contributing to your disappointment, none of which we have any record of. We always aim to exceed guest expectation and so had you mentioned any one of these points to a member of the team at the time, we would have done our utmost to rectify them.

As you can see from the clear majority of our hotel reviews, your experience is far from our usual standard and leaving your feedback anonymously on Trip Advisor is frustrating as we are unable to investigate your points in any detail.

Our interior decoration is inspired by our beautiful coastal surroundings and the hotel itself was designed around the view. Maintaining a ‘sense of place’ has always been important to us and I am sorry you did not recognise that during your stay. There are many locally sourced products throughout the hotel from our oak furniture made by a local tradesman, the art on the walls all created by Welsh artists, the woollen blankets in the bedrooms from Melin Tregwnt Mill, Welsh whiskeys, gins, ciders and ales at the bar and a whole host of fresh local seasonal produce in the kitchen demonstrated in our menus – to name but a few!

Our luxury apartments (not named 'Garden Apartments’) may not benefit from the stunning sea views as some of our hotel bedrooms but do boast a lot more space with their separate sitting area, kitchenette and terraces. This is explained on our website and on all correspondence we send to our guests. I am sorry if this was not made clear to you at the time of booking your apartment.

All of our internal doors at St Brides are fire doors to comply with current safety regulations. Our apartment doors are no different.

As many of our regular guests will tell you I am present at the hotel on most days and so had you brought your displeasure to our attention whilst you were with us, I would have happily met with you and discussed your points. I am sorry if you felt a lack of Management presence but can assure you that when I am not present, a Duty Manager is.

My Reception team have been advised to provide our main email address to guests should they wish to offer feedback, not my personal address. This is purely to ensure the email is picked up and forwarded to the relevant Head of Department swiftly as I cannot always access mine regularly. I do apologise if this was not adequately explained to you.

Any potential training issues that your feedback raised has been actioned with the relevant Head of Department, thank you.

Thank you for your kind comments about our casual dining restaurant, The Mermaid. I am pleased you enjoyed your evening there.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have just returned from a three night stay at St. Brides and I wanted to write a review because I feel this really is a gem of a find as hotels go. Even though I always try to travel with an open mind, I really didn't expect to be contemplating a return visit to Saundersfoot...but I am; simply because of our whole familys experience at St. Brides and despite it being a five and a half hour drive for us.

We'd visited Pembroke before but never Saundersfoot. It's a lovely seaside village with pretty painted houses and cottages, every type of shop one needs on hols and pubs and eateries aplenty. The beach is spotless and unspoilt. And it's this beautiful bay that the rooms of St Brides overlook.

There were four of us, so we took two rooms in the main building - one with a comfortable lounge area and a sweeping view of the sea and headland, and the other - smaller - with a spectacular view of the whole bay and out over the village roof tops. Both rooms had everything you could want - kettle/tea/coffee, minibar, hairdryer, flatscreen TV, iron & ironing board (I wasn't so thrilled with those last two, but my husband felt they were an asset to me).
We appreciated the free WIFI too. It seems there are still hotels charging for wifi, and it's great when they don't, especially when it's needed for work. I found it pretty reliable, and soon noticed the 'not-spots' and moved.
Housekeeping was great at the hotel too - lovely, smiley ladies bringing fresh, clean linens and bathroom products every day. And room service was super - easy & quick. The main highlight of the room though, was the small balcony with a table and pair of chairs to enjoy the gorgeous views from. In fact, all around the hotel there are attractive terraces and sitting areas; all affording the same views. I need to stop talking about the views...

Equally great for my family were the staff at St. Brides. From the receptionists to the restaurant staff to the spa therapists, we really could not fault anyone. They were simply lovely. We found every single one of them warm, kindhearted, helpful and super-efficient. My family have such different needs that it's heartening (and unusual) to find a hotel that can cater effortlessly for all of us. And please St. Brides, continue to employ the mix of nationalities that you do. Those members of staff that we spoke to were - without exception - charming & interesting, and you've got it so right.

The spa pool is a triumph (back to the views), and we really appreciated the option to spend time in the pool with the bubbles going, staring out at that bay from the infinity edge. The spa itself was clean, gently fragrant and relaxing. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to peruse the spa facilities properly, although I did have a pedicure, and it was perfect. My therapist was just lovely and, after she took a great deal of care with my treatment, I came away walking on air; gorgeous.

The hotel offers a package which includes dinner, bed and breakfast, and we'd highly recommend this option - it's fantastic value - although we've probably all put half a stone on! The menu was varied and delicious, and we didn't even scratch the surface of what was on offer.
We did also eat at the new, much-lauded restaurant in Saundersfoot, so missed dinner at the hotel one evening, but they allowed us to swap this dinner for lunch the next day. Our whole family felt that was a very generous gesture and it was greatly appreciated.
It's a special establishment that waives some of it's policies to please its guests.

And I think that's the bottom line for us. St Brides and its staff (and that view) are most definitely
special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Agdord
Stbrides-1, Owner at St Brides Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share such great feedback. I am so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so thoroughly and have shared your kind comments with the team.

We strive to exceed guest expectation and welcome all our customers as friends. It is so encouraging to read that this is gratefully received and that you are planning your return trip already.

Thank you again for your kind words and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I came to this hotel last year with my mum and sister for a few days. What a fab place. We did a girly afternoon in the spa while there. Heaven..
The staff are amazing. The food is perfect. The views are beautiful. I loved the hotel so much took my husband for the weekend on October 2013. He loved the place so much we are going back again in August. It doesn't matter if it's raining or sun is shining this hotel is perfect for complete relaxation.

• Stayed October 2013
Stbrides-1, Owner at St Brides Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We really appreciate you coming back to us again and again and look forward to making your next stay as special as the first.

Cardff
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Our daughters gave us a voucher for this hotel.We had 90 mins in the spa and thoroughly enjoyed the facilities and the staff were very pleasant. Our room overlooked the car park,it was quite small but very clean and well decorated.We had booked an evening meal,we had a table by the window witha stunning view over the Bay. I felt the food was good but nothing out of the ordinary for the price.The Halibut in our starter was a little dry and overcooked and the one scallop a little mean.The extensive wine list has some reasonably priced wines.Our waitress Joy, was a delight. Breakfast was excellent and George,our waiter very nice. My only small complaint, the fresh fruit salad was unimaginative and the breads were basic.On the whole a lovely hotel with excellent service .

1 Thank AMGWales
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your Halibut starter. Had you mentioned this at the time we would have happily changed the dish for you. With this particular starter, the scallop is placed on the plate purely as a garnish.

Your kind comments have been shared with the whole team, so thank you once again.

Andrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saundersfoot
The Gower Hotel and Orangery Restaurant
The Woodlands Hotel
The Woodlands Hotel
#2 of 5 in Saundersfoot
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to St Brides Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!