“Fantastic family break”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We recently had a 4 night stay at Pickering and all had a great time, ages ranged from 2 years to 70 years and facilities are suitable for all. The accommodation was clean and very comfortable and the walks in the woods were fantastic!! If taking children I would highly recommend adding the movie package to your stay as it was a life saver on a wet day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your family break, particularly with the age range so diverse. I hope you will all stay with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have just come back from a great 4 day break at Keldy. Here are some tips for people that have not been before to make your stay even better! We had online delivery - Sainsburys deliver food to the cabin, that worked really well, but you need to plan ahead, as its very far from the shops be prepared taking most of your food with you. There is a shop with basics but a bit expensive as you would imagine. Take bikes with you if you can as some great bike tracks. When you get there book a ranger experience, we did the survival skills and night walk with night vision goggles both with AJ and that was awesome! not to be missed. Archery was good as well. There is no internet in your cabin or mobile phone signal which for us was fantastic as you really can switch off, but you can get internet access at reception which is free. The hot tub was a great idea as well. Great place for dogs as well. Highly recommend holiday!! The staff at Keldy where fantastic and could not be more helpful. If you do queue up for fish and chips on a Wednesday be prepared for a long queue and wait, but worth it.

Room Tip: If you can pick your cabin before you go I would. The cabin is basic and clean and what you need for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for writing a review following your recent Forest Holiday at Keldy. I am pleased that you enjoyed your holiday away from it all and I am sure your suggestions will be helpful for other guests. It’s great to hear that you found the Forest Ranger activities such a good experience too. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

our fifth visit here and the cabins have had a much needed refurb! all kitchen appliances now work, the soft furnishings have been renewed and the hot tub water was crystal clear. We enjoyed seven nights of unbroken sleep in the comfortable clean beds and it is a pleasure to awake in the morning to a cup of tea on the decked area whilst listening to birdsong and no other noise pollution whatsoever! the cabins are comfortable and with a fully functioning kitchen we could enjoy home cooked food every evening(don't expect to stock the fridge up from the forest retreat shop as the choice is very limited and prices are extortionate.we opted to shop at a supermarket in the village of pickering which is a short drive away). All in all we love keldy for the peace and quiet, the beautiful surroundings and to be able to unwind from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, our 10 year old son LOVES it and is already pestering us to book again! Theres plenty of days out to be had if you have children too, flamingo land, whitby and scarborough are to name but a few. Just remember that the cabins are situated in a forest……it isn't hilton standards with highly polished marble floors and expensive light fittings……..its stunning simplicity where family time is truly embraced…..oh, and don't forget the hiking boots!! we will be back (again) :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Welcome back and thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you have enjoyed your 5th holiday with us and like the newly refurbished cabins. You clearly enjoy the forest surroundings and it is great that your 10 year old loves it too. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

On the plus side, my daughter (18) and I really enjoyed our Mon-Fri stay but I might have been disappointed had I not booked with a substantial discount (£275 instead of £450). The site is lovely, staff helpful and friendly, we had a Sliver Birch cabin which wasn't overlooked and the hot tub was fab (and serviced daily). No wi-fi (other than in the Reception building) and no mobile signal was a bonus! Even my 17 yr old daughter didn't mind, we were so relaxed.
But - and there were some buts. It was a bit of a trek from our parking spot to the cabin and no offer of help to get our stuff from car to cabin (though maybe I should have asked - would have been nice not to have to ask though). Around the parking spot was muddy - more gravel would help. We were told someone would come and show us how to work the hot tub within an hour of our arrival but no-one came. We didn't fancy walking back down to reception once we'd unpacked the car so we had to figure it out ourselves (not hard but we were told off a bit in the morning for not having topped up the water level). The cabin was clean but as someone else said - it felt surface clean. The area around the controls on the hob was greasy. All the taps could have done with a shine, as could the shower doors and towel rails. One of the shower drains was slow to drain, so the shower tray was always full of water when using the shower. The fridge had no shelves in the door for bottles etc! This was a major inconvenience e.g. some bottles laid on the side leaked. We queried this and were told the cabins were being refurbished - in my view, they should be totally fit for purpose or not available to rent (especially given the prices). The plinth board under the fridge etc kept falling off when we opened the fridge too! The decking and table/benches outside were worn and a bit grubby. Beds were relatively comfy, sofas a bit uncomfortable, not really made for curling up on. Overall, quite basic furniture, appliances and equipment; didn't feel luxurious.
Still, with our stuff strewn about and blankets from the car etc, it felt comfortable enough and as I said, we did really enjoy our stay. Thoroughly relaxing - and lovely area to go further afield to explore. I'd recommend it but only when there are discounted prices on offer!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay on the whole but sorry to hear of some of the problems you encountered too. We will take your feedback on board. I hope we see you again – keep an eye out for our offers on the website.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Hmm. Reading recent reviews, I'm a bit puzzled by my own disappointment in the cabin. I concluded that the best thing about this place was its marketing. Based on the website description and price we paid, I expected an upmarket, exclusive log cabin - something special. For me, luxury is a combination of supreme comfort, function and form. The cabin's interior looked okay, a mix of rustic and contemporary styling, but it was all done with cheap materials - how I'd do up a flat to rent out, assuming I'd need to re-do it every few years. The shower lacked oomph and didn't drain well, the sofa was inadequate for lounging, the bedding didn't fit (duvet cover too small for both the bed and the duvet) and was split, the throws were 'Forest Holidays' branded strips of polyester, the kitchen cabinets were wonky, the curtains were an almost-wipe-clean fabric and the carpets must have been chosen for their filth-concealing qualities. We got cabin 11 (Golden Oak), which has no sense of seclusion and no good views. It was surface-clean but deep-down grubby. It would have all been absolutely fine if we'd paid 30% less but at £650 for three nights I felt let down. On the upside, the cabins are well layed-out and equipped, the hot tub was fab and the area, both immediate and surrounding, is lovely. At a lower price point I'd happily go back but on this occasion (bank holiday weekend, to be fair), it felt over-priced for what it is and I think we could have got better value elsewhere.

2  Thank holidaylover29

Thank you for your review following your bank holiday break with us. I am sorry to hear that you felt that your cabin was not to the high standards you had expected and we will take note of your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break overall, and liked your hot tub and the location -which, as Forestry Commission land, is unique to Forest Holidays. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

first time, stayed at Keldy absolutely enjoyed it. we have already recommended it to a couple of people and we planning to book another stay for longer. not really got any complaints at all except a couple of the windows where very messy inside an out.. there a dishwasher in kitchen we didn't use ours, had to put all pans into one cupboard to make room for food storage. staff very friendly and helpful. push bike hire, pizza where great.not much price difference to what we pay at home. tasty fish n chips from van bear a ikle bit expensive £4 a pint, but what the heck ya on holiday
first time ever been in hot tub but by hell its grrrrrreat just what Dr ordered. (could do with one of them at home) downside if there is more than 5 in your group as they only sit 4/5 people. if ya like ya wild life then dun't forget the binoculars we had a squirrel sat on our balcony one morning. Granddaughter and son in law saw a dear.while on a bike ride. would recommend a few more dog bins on the walks might encourage dog owners to use them more. oh an dunt forget the wellies just in case it rains but we enjoyed getting muddy up on our last night then a chill out in the hot tub.thanks for a great time.

Room Tip: cabin 51 south facing and private and the view of the forest is just lovey
1  Thank della b

Thank you for your review following your first break at Keldy. It sounds as if you had a great time! I’m pleased you liked the hot tub and enjoyed watching the wildlife too. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

this is the 2nd time I have visited these forest cabins, the 1st was a family holiday with children so totally different - on that occasion a couple of years ago we travelled round, visited various attractions and the beach, when at the cabin there was plenty for the youngsters to do too.
However, this was different, a 4 night stay away from it all - marvelous. They have now installed hot tubs - which I was a little dubious about at first - but, very clean and hygienic with daily maintenance to ensure it stayed that way, what a treat!
No mobile phone reception, no WiFi unless you wanted it in the main reception area. Bliss.
The cabins are clean and comfortable, self catering - but everything bar food/drink you need is there inc a dishwasher :-) and non breakables for that glass or 2 of fizz in the hot tub. A lovely 4 night stay away form the madding crowd, if you want peace and quiet this is a definite recommendation - if you want lively entertainment then keep away.... in saying that there was plenty of daytime activity on offer, we chose not to take it.

Room Tip: cabin 53 - or another right away from the centre for peace and privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your latest Forest Holidays break. Your two holidays certainly show that you can choose the type of holiday you have with us and do as much or as little as you please. I am delighted that this time you enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of the forest; it sounds as if you had a complete rest.

Holiday Advisors' Team Leader

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
The Talbot Hotel Malton
#6 of 26 in Scarborough
Rocklands Lodges
Rocklands Lodges
#1 of 29 in Pickering

Been to Forest Holidays Keldy, North Yorkshire? Share your experiences!