“excellent as usual”

Ranked #32 of 49 Pickering B&B and Inns
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“excellent as usual”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have stayed here several times now and it would be our first choice whenever we are going to the Pickering area. Paul and Pauline are very attentive hosts and we are always greeted with
coffee and home-made cake upon arrival, yummy!!! The breakfasts are lovely and the evening dinners are always delicious, Pauline is a fantastic cook and Paul is a very attentive host. Our
rooms were very clean and comfortable and the traffic did not disturb us at all even though it is
on a busy roundabout - hence the name Crossways!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Manchester
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I too would like to echo the sentiments of the last reviewer. Whenever I'm in the Pickering area for a long weekend I always stay at Crossways. Pauline and Paul are great hosts. If you're expecting it to be like your typical Travelodge or B&B then it isn't. It's like you're friends of the family, and they're more than happy to help in any way (within reason of course). The breakfasts are substantial and the cooked food arrives at your table hot and delicious. Crossways is open for Sunday lunch and I can certainly recommend it if you're lucky to book a place, the locals know a good restaurant when they find one.

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Crossways for the discerning traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I would like to put on record how disgusted I feel about the two reviews " Faulty towers" and "Never again " having stayed at Crossways the same weekend as ( never again ) My partner and l were totally appalled how the owners were treated by the said guests they were so rude, demanding particularly the children - always late for breakfast - personally l was surprised our hosts Pauline and Paul didn't ask them to leave - we found the breakfast the best we have ever experienced - in fact the whole experience of our stay was perfect - we will be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew S
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The hotel is clean and the beds were relatively comfortable, unfortunately that is all we can recommend about the place, the initial appearance of the hotel was good apart from being sited on a roundabout on a busy road and you do hear lorries going pass in the early hours of the morning especially if you stay in the family room on the top floor as we did. It was like going back in time as our room was decorated with a lot of seventies chintz and reading matter ( I especially liked the complete guide to home decorating from 1972, and Pam ayers ' some of me poems ' ) they do provide tea and coffee making facilities but the coffee and hot chocolate are kept in washed out spice jars which you can't get a tea spoon into,that evening we went down to the bar for a drink, whilst waiting to meet up with our colleagues my friend asked for a pint of lager and was given a can which only came up to around the 3/4 mark on the glass so said he would have another and was then asked for £5.50! But the real problems started when we went to breakfast the next morning,the first two of our party went down to be asked if they wanted their breakfast straight away, when they said they wanted to wait for the rest of our party they was then told that the breakfast would be easier for them if we came down in intervals!! There was six in my party and we were the only ones staying at the hotel which makes you wonder how they would cope if they were fully booked.
After asking for extra toast I was told ' I'm getting it aren't I?!!' the owner doing an excellent basil fawlty impression.We felt awkward and uncomfortable asking for anything else after the toast was brusquely put down on the table. We did find it quite a comedic experience but would not stay again as the service and decor of the rooms was not worth the money we paid, although it was clean and the breakfast we had was good, just don't ask for extra toast!

Room Tip: Room number ten has an incredibly small sink
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel and I thought it was a lovely place. I find some of the previous comments very different to what we experienced. The rooms were typically old fashioned english but I love the little touches left around the room, such as sweets, tissues, soap etc. The room was very clean. I can honestly say the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had and the host was constantly offering more toast or drinks. The road noise was quite high during the day but overnight it was quiet, but you would expect noise if it was next to the middle of a bustling town. I would go back if we stayed in the area again and would happily recommend it to friends and family.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel used to be owned by a relative of mine many years ago and so we booked it out of curiosity for a bit family occasion in the town. It was basic at very best. That I could have lived with but the surliness of the staff was what has put me off for ever. Everything appeared to be a favour or a chore. Asking for some water at breakfast was met by a jug being slammed on the table. Asking for another piece of toast (over the one allotted piece each) was severely frowned upon. In fact, the only good thing I have to say is that the wife of the couple running it did dish up a very good meal for the Sunday lunch. That's it. The rooms are very noisy as they all overlook the main road and at 2am on each night of the three we we there, the drunks gathered outside. You have to chase the water stream from the hand held shower as the water pressure in the bathrooms is pathetic. The family occasion was held at the hotel (10 people) and EVERYONE commented on how rude/surly/unfriendly the hosts were. Not for me, mine or any of the extended family again. Also, no consideration whatsoever for any mobility issues. We were on the top floor, no lift.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel or B&B. there are MANY in Pickering.
2 Thank DimskiDimsum
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Excellent night's sleep. Perfectly professional hosts. These people know what they are doing. Beautiful Victorian building. Excellent welcome - they immediately anticipated that we were not inclined towards the chatty. So they showed us to our room and left us alone. We came down later asking for recommendations for dinner, and they immediately provided us with several alternatives, and they were right. As the weather was unusually good we sat in the beautiful enclosed garden and enjoyed the surroundings. However, the best thing, and it is always the best thing (because it is the last thing, and you remember it) was the breakfast. Whatever you like is there. All of that muesli and fresh fruit stuff that some people seem to like was available, but actual proper full cooked English. Go no further. I do not know if it is a Yorkshire thing or a Crossways thing but the next meal you will have will be dinner. And it will be a disappointment, by comparison. I do, I no way, suggest that you come here, because you may get in my way.