“Tantara Woodland-An honest review.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tantara Woodland Lodges

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Tantara Woodland Lodges
“Tantara Woodland-An honest review.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I was so worried about staying here after reading such negative reviews as of late. We arrived last Saturday afternoon. The park is slightly set back from the road so you may end up driving past it like we did! If coming from Pickering end the turning is approx 100yds after CedarBarn farm shop and cafe on the same left hand sign. There is a wooden sign with Tantara Lodges above the hedgerows so keep your eyes peeled!

A few reviews stated it was hard to spot the number of the log cabins when driving onto the park. There are only about 5 or 6 log cabins anyway and not miles away from each other so it's not a huge hardship to get out of the car and look at the numbers on the lodges but the very end log cabin is number 1 if it helps!

The key was in the door when we arrived and we were pleasantly surprised at the log cabin and somewhat relieved to find it was quite nice and homely! It had quite a few essentials. Cutlery, plates, bowls, dishes, wine glasses, mugs, tumblers, saucepans, colander, oven trays, washing up liquid, sponge, tea towel, iron and ironing board and even a corkscrew and bottle opener for our wine and beer!! The only thing I'd advise you need is toilet roll, bath towels, hand towels, bin liners if staying for a few days and we took bed linen aswell which I'm pleased we did because as some reviews stated the pillowcases were stained but again not a hardship to take your own pillowcases.

The hot tub was at a nice temperature on arrival so no complaints there. We didn't use it on our first night but used it about 3 times during our week's stay. I must agree with other reviewers who said the temperature was temperamental at times and took ages to heat up some evenings and the bottom of the tub was full of limescale.

The lodges are in the most brilliant location only half an hour's drive from Whitby, Scarborough and York. We were out most days but spent the evenings in our lodge and found we only used £7 in the electric meter the whole week, that's with 4/5 hours of TV on every night, lights and heating on. Not bad value at all for the electric.

If you are wanting take-away, Pickering has Lee's Chinese and Noyon's Indian. Both fantastic and only a 2 minute drive. Noyon's is nice for a sit down meal as well. Can't recommend that place highly enough!! A 3 minute drive in the other direction is Thornton Le Dale with a fish and chip shop and a pizza/kebab shop. Chippy was ok but not the best. See what you think though. Also plenty of nice pubs to eat at in Thornton Le Dale. Not much in Pickering but there is a small co-op and a cost cutter if you need any groceries.

We saw nothing of the owners and were left to our own devices which was nice but there is a welcome pack in the lodge with their contact numbers should you need them.

Didn't see loads of wildlife but a Deer ran across the park one evening and there are two friendly terrier dogs that occasionally roam about but near their owners farm house and a cat who is also very friendly. No cat/dog mess to be seen! With regards to flies, we got a couple in our log cabin from having the door/window open but you're in the middle of a forest so what do you expect?!

All in all, a really nice stay for us in a great location but could do with just a little more attention to detail, a little more time, effort and care spent to fix things like broken blinds and heated towel rails and then these lodges would be excellent!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Loupad87

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Lovely traditional wooden log cabin, lovely location. Very peaceful to relax away in the hot tub. No contact with the owners although available if needed. Slightly uncomfortable mattress but that depends on your own preferences. Altogether a lovely stay to chill and relax your everyday stresses away.

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Before our recent trip I had read some bad and some good reviews and decided not to prejudge but to make up my own mind. The actually cabin was really nice. It had good size rooms n although it had basic furnishings and utensils it was ok. All the cabin needed was some TLC. Things like smoke alarms hanging down from the ceiling. The bath leaking. Missing light bulbs these things are so easily solved it was a shame that they hadn't been attended to. The games room was a joke. The outside of the cabin was full of cobwebs so were the windows n the decking needed a good sweep. The hot tub which was to be my highlight of the trip,really wasn't. My daughter spent the first evening cleaning it. Once again in need of some TLC but the worse thing for myself and my family was the amount of flies that were constantly inside the cabin ( 005 ). I am not talking 1 or 2 but 12 - 15 at a time. We didn't open the windows except onto the latch because we didn't want the flies to gain easy access but somehow they were getting in and although we bought fly spray and spent our time squatting them the next day day we were back at square one. We would leave the cabin in the morning a fly free zone and return at tea time to a swarm. We did leave the next occupants the left over fly spray. Not that it will do much good as they at not of this earth.!!!!!!! Pickering is a nice little village as long as you are not bothered for wi fi and u don't want to visit a pub with children after 8.30. It is close to both Whitby and Scarborough and a stones throw from flamingo land. The farm shop next door to the site is really nice and very welcoming and the food was really nice. We did speak to the maintenance man on our first day regarding our issues and he said he would speak to the owner but nobody even bothered to contact us. Overall I was not Impressed and after really looking forward to this break I felt let down and disappointed. All this place needs is someone to give it some attention to detail. It's a shame.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Doris2213
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked for seven nights but left after six nights. On arrival there was a bunch of resident bluebottles to greet us which was not a great start. The lodge overall was cold, dark and dirty and apart from sleeping and eating breakfast we stayed away which as this is a beautiful area is easy to do. The shower was too hot and I had to wash my three year old daughter using a glass filled with hot and cold water from the tap. The hot tub was disappointing and its temperature was temperamental. The bed sheet was so worn and bobbly my daughter complained it hurt her legs. In short we would not return and would not recommend this lodge to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy P
County Durham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked this Log cabin for our first family holiday as we were taking our 8 month old baby and decided to stay in a luxury cabin in a peaceful location. I had booked a log cabin last year through Hoseasons and it was stunning therefore decided to use them again.
One week before we were due to travel I decided to read the trip adviser reviews, I was horrified to read that out of 130 reviews, 100 of them were appalling! I immediately called Hoseasons to ask if I could change parks and stated I was willing to pay more money but was point blank refused and was told I could cancel the log cabin but I would lose 100% of my money. Still in shock I then rang the owner of the park to express my concerns. Jenny assured me she would ensure our cabin was ‘’immaculate’’ and as a gesture of goodwill she would move us from cabin number 1 to cabin number 3 as this was a much better lodge. I then started to feel at ease.
We arrived at the log cabin on the Monday to be greeted by a cat on the decking that clearly lived at the log cabin which I wasn’t happy about but never the less the first impressions at a glance were ‘FAB’……..until we started to unpack and look deeper. …………..
• We firstly got in the hot tub which was lovely and warm, but once we were sat a few minutes polystyrene was floating passed us! We immediately thought it hadn’t been cleaned from the previous guests.

• I laid a blanket on the grass for my baby to play after a few minutes I started to notice the grass was literally covered in cat poo! I couldn’t believe my eyes; I immediately scooped up my baby and placed him on the decking to play as cat mess is not only disgusting but can blind babies.

• My baby then began to crawl off his blanket onto the decking, I quickly picked him up to find he was then covered in cat hair! I was disgusted. I immediately rang Jenny the owner to advise. Jenny was very abrupt with me and said she would HAVE to call round to see me, she never did come round!

• I then went upstairs to check the bedding was clean as this was a big concern on trip advisor. The bedding in the double room was washed out, creased and the fitted sheet was discoloured. The pillow case on one of the single beds was covered in mascara and had an orange stain! It was filthy!

• We moved the coffee table in the middle of the lounge so our baby could crawl, underneath the table was a handful of crumbs. Clearly it had been vacuumed round!

• The final straw was the oven! The oven was disgusting!!! I was livid by this point! Absolutely furious in fact! I tried a number of times to contact the owner that night but she didn’t answer my calls. We decided to stay at the lodge that night as it was 10pm by this point and contact Jenny then next day. My partner and I slept on the 2 sofas with our own blankets and my baby slept next to us in his own travel cot. This was not the holiday we had planned!

• Being in a ‘PEACEFULLY LOCATED LODGE’ the last thing we expected to hear was our neighbours blasting out music until 2am! Needless to say our family holiday was an absolute disaster!
First thing Tuesday morning I rang Jennys mobile dozens of times but she still failed to answer my calls or visit the lodge. The only option we had was to vacate the log cabin. I refuse to stay at accommodation that is not on par or nicer than my home, why would anyone want too!? Jenny still hasn’t rang me back to apologise one week later! The service and standards we received were horrendous! And we paid £410 to receive them!
We then travelled to Whitby for a further 2 nights to try and have some fun and relaxation and had a fab time no thanks sto JENNY!!!!!
These people who have wrote EXCELLENT reviews for this park must clearly live in caves!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LyndseyClaydon
Rotherham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed last year for 4nights. Found the lodge was clean welcoming. Lots of wild life to watch with the squirrels playing, pheasants, chickens, dogs and cats.
Only downside we found was you had to have plenty of £1 coins for the electric metre. Overall the hot tub was not over looked by other cabins, the cabin was spaces with bedrooms in the eves. My husband did struggle in the bedrooms as he is tall. The bathroom was downstairs, so in the night you had to be careful going down the stairs, but not a problem for us as we used to have a house with bathroom was downstairs.
The surrounding area was lovely and quiet just what you want, there was a play area for children, surrounded by fields, was lovely. A short drive into the local village. The Royal Oak pub serves meals which were delicious, homely meals, worth a visit.
Eden camp is just down the road for a good day out.
Loved it, will go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We arrived on July 8th to stay in the little owl cottage. After a 5 hour drive and experiencing the beautiful scenery surrounding this property, we were really excited. From the outside, very tired and rundown and were greeted with dog food and cigarette ends and a dog pooping on the grass, not a great start. The smell that we experience when opening the front door was damp and old, but it was the flies that really bothered us. Very disappointed as we looked round the property, old and dirty bedding, carpets which were stained and filthy, especially in the kitchen, made me feel sick. When we opened the kitchen drawers we found the source of the flies, food in a bag which had been left, was full of flies!!!!! the freezer had been defrosted with food in it!!!! The washing machine had dirty dish towels that were old and stank. We immediately phoned the number and Jenny turned up, very apologetic, blamed the cleaning lady and offered to release us from the rental as she could see we were furious. We spoke to hoseasons, whom we had booked the trip through and were told that at 9am the next morning they would find us an alternative property. Jenny had offered to give us a re clean the next morning. It was 7.00pm by this time. I was with my husband and 3 young children, it was the most difficult decision staying there the night, luckily we had basic cleaning supplies and spent the rest of the evening cleaning from top to bottom. Jenny did bring us clean sheets, but it could not take the smell away from pillows and mattresses, The kids didnt want to walk on the carpets and my youngest said his bed smelled of urine. All I can say is it was one of the worst nights ever!!!!!!!! The next morning after a very long drawn out battle with hoseasons and a very aggressive owner who came out of his property, next to ours swearing and shouting and told us to get the hell of his property and called us winjing [--]!!!!! The kids were terrified so we left. After making a formal complaint at the police station about the aggressive owner we left for the new property we had been assigned, 20 miles east, The bay at Filey which we would highly recommend, clean, comfortable and safe. We were lucky to have booked this trip through hoseasons and will be so much more careful in future. Do not stay here, its disgusting and if you ever cross the owner, watch out, very aggressive and dishonest.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family