“Dark, dingy, dirty, dated and dull!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Tantara Woodland Lodges
Reviewed 26 September 2013

On arrival we were disappointed as the outside of the cabin was dirty and very scruffy looking, the hotub was enclosed on all four sides with rickety peeling fencing. The lighting was poor and the hotub itself was swarming with slugs and didn't give off a very clean impression. The temperature was 40 which was far too hot to enjoy, that teamed with all other factors simply meant it was barely used.
The inside of the lodge was dark, dull, damp and dusty. The walls were filthy, full of dust and cobwebs, as were the Lino floors, stairs, windows and all other surfaces! It was that bad my asthmatic bf felt this on his chest and my mums allergies flared up.
The carpets were all lifting up, stained and grubby, the rugs looked like they needed throwing away. The lighting was poor, many bulbs broken and insufficient which made the entire lodge very dark and dull.
The TV got hardly any reception and the freeview box didn't work. The beds were lumpy, springs clearly broken and very uncomfortable. The bed linen was worn and old and smelt ever so slightly of smoke. The lack of suitable wardrobe space, no hangers and insufficient storage teamed with very bad lighting, dust dust dust and filthy windows made for a very difficult stay.
The bathroom had no shelving or areas to put stuff on, the bath leaked all over the floor but the water was hot...whilst it lasted.
The kitchen was ill equipped. There were 4 of 'everything' but all were mega cheap and mismatched and not even clean! The oven was filthy not that you could cook anything on it because there were no baking trays. The kettle worked if you kept your finger on the switch which was fun. There was no light on the extractor hood which may sound petty but the whole place was so dark it meant you simply couldn't see! The hanging fire alarm was also a treat.
These are no way luxury in any way shape or form, they are the lower end of basic and that's if you don't mind living in filth.
We approached the owners within 30 minutes of arrival to explain how dusty and dirty it was to be told that she would get a cleaner to sort it the following morning, failing that she would do it herself. Needless to say that didn't happen.
The next time we saw her was on our 4th day when we were told that the generator had blown up and there was no electricity and we would have to leave! She did say that she was trying to sort alternative accommodation but everywhere was booked up so to call hoseasons. She said we could sort it ourselves or go home then expressed that she needed to sort out where she was staying!
All in all a bitterly disappointing break that left us astonished that hoseasons are still endorsing this place! I think a 'mystery shopper' visit is in order and a complete overhaul and deep clean!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank KGoulty

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We were a little apprehensive after reading the last few reviews (posted on Tripadvisor a few weeks before we were due to travel). On arrival we thought our concerns were not needed but after a few days we did have a few bad points:-

Hot water ---- The hot water was boiling hot, we were unable to use the shower due to the temperature.

Cleaning -- On the surface things did look clean but we do not think all floors were cleaned how you would expect. The stairs (wooden) had not been cleaned and were very dusty on the edges. There were lots of cobwebs. I understand the cabin is wood and therefore attracts more spiders but it would not take much to go around with a feather duster!

Instructions--- There is no instructions for the washing machine or cooker. We did need to use the oven, but the marks on the dial's had rubbed off so we were not able work out which was the grill/oven and the temperature setting.

Hot tub --- was great, very private. The only bad point was it was cold on 2 nights.

Electricity meter --Is set very high. We were out of the lodge from 9.30am - 6pm, came back, had a quick bath, our daughter was in bed by 6.45 and we were in the hot tub, so the only thing on in the lodge was our daughters baby monitor. We spent £9 (1 week), but as we did not use the lights, TV or other electric things very much we do feel this was a little too much.

The lodges are in a great setting and location ---- Scarborough (25 minutes) Whitby (25 minutes), Filey (30 Minutes), York (40 Minutes) but we do think with a little TLC these lodges could be fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I was so worried about staying here after reading such negative reviews as of late. We arrived last Saturday afternoon. The park is slightly set back from the road so you may end up driving past it like we did! If coming from Pickering end the turning is approx 100yds after CedarBarn farm shop and cafe on the same left hand sign. There is a wooden sign with Tantara Lodges above the hedgerows so keep your eyes peeled!

A few reviews stated it was hard to spot the number of the log cabins when driving onto the park. There are only about 5 or 6 log cabins anyway and not miles away from each other so it's not a huge hardship to get out of the car and look at the numbers on the lodges but the very end log cabin is number 1 if it helps!

The key was in the door when we arrived and we were pleasantly surprised at the log cabin and somewhat relieved to find it was quite nice and homely! It had quite a few essentials. Cutlery, plates, bowls, dishes, wine glasses, mugs, tumblers, saucepans, colander, oven trays, washing up liquid, sponge, tea towel, iron and ironing board and even a corkscrew and bottle opener for our wine and beer!! The only thing I'd advise you need is toilet roll, bath towels, hand towels, bin liners if staying for a few days and we took bed linen aswell which I'm pleased we did because as some reviews stated the pillowcases were stained but again not a hardship to take your own pillowcases.

The hot tub was at a nice temperature on arrival so no complaints there. We didn't use it on our first night but used it about 3 times during our week's stay. I must agree with other reviewers who said the temperature was temperamental at times and took ages to heat up some evenings and the bottom of the tub was full of limescale.

The lodges are in the most brilliant location only half an hour's drive from Whitby, Scarborough and York. We were out most days but spent the evenings in our lodge and found we only used £7 in the electric meter the whole week, that's with 4/5 hours of TV on every night, lights and heating on. Not bad value at all for the electric.

If you are wanting take-away, Pickering has Lee's Chinese and Noyon's Indian. Both fantastic and only a 2 minute drive. Noyon's is nice for a sit down meal as well. Can't recommend that place highly enough!! A 3 minute drive in the other direction is Thornton Le Dale with a fish and chip shop and a pizza/kebab shop. Chippy was ok but not the best. See what you think though. Also plenty of nice pubs to eat at in Thornton Le Dale. Not much in Pickering but there is a small co-op and a cost cutter if you need any groceries.

We saw nothing of the owners and were left to our own devices which was nice but there is a welcome pack in the lodge with their contact numbers should you need them.

Didn't see loads of wildlife but a Deer ran across the park one evening and there are two friendly terrier dogs that occasionally roam about but near their owners farm house and a cat who is also very friendly. No cat/dog mess to be seen! With regards to flies, we got a couple in our log cabin from having the door/window open but you're in the middle of a forest so what do you expect?!

All in all, a really nice stay for us in a great location but could do with just a little more attention to detail, a little more time, effort and care spent to fix things like broken blinds and heated towel rails and then these lodges would be excellent!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Loupad87
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Lovely traditional wooden log cabin, lovely location. Very peaceful to relax away in the hot tub. No contact with the owners although available if needed. Slightly uncomfortable mattress but that depends on your own preferences. Altogether a lovely stay to chill and relax your everyday stresses away.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Before our recent trip I had read some bad and some good reviews and decided not to prejudge but to make up my own mind. The actually cabin was really nice. It had good size rooms n although it had basic furnishings and utensils it was ok. All the cabin needed was some TLC. Things like smoke alarms hanging down from the ceiling. The bath leaking. Missing light bulbs these things are so easily solved it was a shame that they hadn't been attended to. The games room was a joke. The outside of the cabin was full of cobwebs so were the windows n the decking needed a good sweep. The hot tub which was to be my highlight of the trip,really wasn't. My daughter spent the first evening cleaning it. Once again in need of some TLC but the worse thing for myself and my family was the amount of flies that were constantly inside the cabin ( 005 ). I am not talking 1 or 2 but 12 - 15 at a time. We didn't open the windows except onto the latch because we didn't want the flies to gain easy access but somehow they were getting in and although we bought fly spray and spent our time squatting them the next day day we were back at square one. We would leave the cabin in the morning a fly free zone and return at tea time to a swarm. We did leave the next occupants the left over fly spray. Not that it will do much good as they at not of this earth.!!!!!!! Pickering is a nice little village as long as you are not bothered for wi fi and u don't want to visit a pub with children after 8.30. It is close to both Whitby and Scarborough and a stones throw from flamingo land. The farm shop next door to the site is really nice and very welcoming and the food was really nice. We did speak to the maintenance man on our first day regarding our issues and he said he would speak to the owner but nobody even bothered to contact us. Overall I was not Impressed and after really looking forward to this break I felt let down and disappointed. All this place needs is someone to give it some attention to detail. It's a shame.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Doris2213
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked for seven nights but left after six nights. On arrival there was a bunch of resident bluebottles to greet us which was not a great start. The lodge overall was cold, dark and dirty and apart from sleeping and eating breakfast we stayed away which as this is a beautiful area is easy to do. The shower was too hot and I had to wash my three year old daughter using a glass filled with hot and cold water from the tap. The hot tub was disappointing and its temperature was temperamental. The bed sheet was so worn and bobbly my daughter complained it hurt her legs. In short we would not return and would not recommend this lodge to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy P
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked this Log cabin for our first family holiday as we were taking our 8 month old baby and decided to stay in a luxury cabin in a peaceful location. I had booked a log cabin last year through Hoseasons and it was stunning therefore decided to use them again.
One week before we were due to travel I decided to read the trip adviser reviews, I was horrified to read that out of 130 reviews, 100 of them were appalling! I immediately called Hoseasons to ask if I could change parks and stated I was willing to pay more money but was point blank refused and was told I could cancel the log cabin but I would lose 100% of my money. Still in shock I then rang the owner of the park to express my concerns. Jenny assured me she would ensure our cabin was ‘’immaculate’’ and as a gesture of goodwill she would move us from cabin number 1 to cabin number 3 as this was a much better lodge. I then started to feel at ease.
We arrived at the log cabin on the Monday to be greeted by a cat on the decking that clearly lived at the log cabin which I wasn’t happy about but never the less the first impressions at a glance were ‘FAB’……..until we started to unpack and look deeper. …………..
• We firstly got in the hot tub which was lovely and warm, but once we were sat a few minutes polystyrene was floating passed us! We immediately thought it hadn’t been cleaned from the previous guests.

• I laid a blanket on the grass for my baby to play after a few minutes I started to notice the grass was literally covered in cat poo! I couldn’t believe my eyes; I immediately scooped up my baby and placed him on the decking to play as cat mess is not only disgusting but can blind babies.

• My baby then began to crawl off his blanket onto the decking, I quickly picked him up to find he was then covered in cat hair! I was disgusted. I immediately rang Jenny the owner to advise. Jenny was very abrupt with me and said she would HAVE to call round to see me, she never did come round!

• I then went upstairs to check the bedding was clean as this was a big concern on trip advisor. The bedding in the double room was washed out, creased and the fitted sheet was discoloured. The pillow case on one of the single beds was covered in mascara and had an orange stain! It was filthy!

• We moved the coffee table in the middle of the lounge so our baby could crawl, underneath the table was a handful of crumbs. Clearly it had been vacuumed round!

• The final straw was the oven! The oven was disgusting!!! I was livid by this point! Absolutely furious in fact! I tried a number of times to contact the owner that night but she didn’t answer my calls. We decided to stay at the lodge that night as it was 10pm by this point and contact Jenny then next day. My partner and I slept on the 2 sofas with our own blankets and my baby slept next to us in his own travel cot. This was not the holiday we had planned!

• Being in a ‘PEACEFULLY LOCATED LODGE’ the last thing we expected to hear was our neighbours blasting out music until 2am! Needless to say our family holiday was an absolute disaster!
First thing Tuesday morning I rang Jennys mobile dozens of times but she still failed to answer my calls or visit the lodge. The only option we had was to vacate the log cabin. I refuse to stay at accommodation that is not on par or nicer than my home, why would anyone want too!? Jenny still hasn’t rang me back to apologise one week later! The service and standards we received were horrendous! And we paid £410 to receive them!
We then travelled to Whitby for a further 2 nights to try and have some fun and relaxation and had a fab time no thanks sto JENNY!!!!!
These people who have wrote EXCELLENT reviews for this park must clearly live in caves!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family