Rocklands Lodges
US$114
US$109
US$204
  • Breakfast included
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel(Hackness)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$138
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstudio lodgehonesty shopbuck innfairy lightsfish and chip vanhot tubjunior suitelodge numberlocal pubon arrivalplay arealovely lodgelovely breaklovely ownersshort driveover christmaseden camp
Reviewed 28 October 2013

1st visit to Rocklands Lodges Fri 25th Oct - Sun 27th Oct with hubby and two 12 yr old boys.. Arrived at 7.20pm in total darkness as out the way and limited lighting on site.. went to the reception, rang doorbell for a while, no answer! panicking we walked around the small site which was so quiet.. a lady appeared from a lodge and advised that they were told the owners were going out at 7pm and their key would be left in a small basket in reception.. so I went back down to find our key to lodge no8 was there (thanks to the lady advising!!!).. we should have been informed of this, as I found it very annoying that there was no help onsite if anything didn't work in the lodge!) next day I went to see owner to pay the bill and no apology, I was told it was a meal out.. (surely there should have been some one avail for the evening?).. on leaving the site, again at peak time (have to leave lodge by 10.30am) there was no one to speak to re: how our trip was etc... a young guy took the key and I felt let down as poor customer service again :( wasn't asked how the stay was etc.. the lodge was average, clean and a comfy bed.. shower was good but lots of mildew in shower room and around the window.. which all 4 of us noticed. and a musty smell.. (I would defo have a plug in airfreshner in each lodge just to give it a fresh smell). owners were friendly over the telephone when booking but I feel once your there, there is no communication. a cleaner brought her dog to work with her and allowed the collie to run wild on the grounds, boisterous and barking at anyone that passed... we witnessed him having a poop outside our lodge and I went to speak to the young girl advising .. she picked it up.. last night I emailed them at 1130pm, the email was read last night and no reply.. :( I say they need to step up their customer service and be around especially when its visitors 1st visit to Rocklands! I feel there are better places to stay in pickering.. all in all, a decent site, average lodge (furniture is dated pine (basic), as a semi detached lodge you can hear everything next door..: footsteps, kitchen units slamming (as against the divide), can hear the shower room as adjoined to our shower room, next to the bed, the fans stay on for 10 mins after switch light/fan off... was annoying at night.. (very loud), woke at 6am sun morning to the noise of the opp lodge (no 15) kids running around.. could hear it very clearly. I would only stay in a detached lodge if we stayed in a lodge elsewhere.. but I prefer a 2 bed caravan anyday!! rated 5/10

Room Tip: BE AWARE that the studio lodges are semi detached! not detached... sharing with a neighbour... can hear everything and vibrations, thumping from feet, shower room is noisy esp at night! I would choose 14 and 15 (detached lodges) double the price but depends on an individuals budget. or look local for a cottage/caravan.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank northeast_buni
pickeringholiday, Manager at Rocklands Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback on trip adviser.

There are two sides to every story & I would like to put ours across here.

I am sorry that we missed your arrival on Friday evening but my parents expected you at 6 - 6.30 as you had emailed me your arrival time earlier in the day and they held on as long as they could to see you in, even making themselves late for the meal. You say yourself that you arrived at 7.30 which was hour later than had been arranged. We couldn't have emailed you as they expected to see you before leaving & we didn't have a mobile number for you, just your home number. Your keys were left in reception in a prominent position along with an A4 sign displaying 2 different mobile telephone numbers if you had a problem. We have left the keys in this manor before and there has never been a problem finding the keys as they are prominent as you enter reception. It was right in front of the doorbell. You would have had to walk around the sign to get to the doorbell.

The caretaker was on site with his mobile number also left in a prominent position in reception.

We are a small family business run by a parents and two daughters and we are open 365 days of the year & work very hard to ensure people have an enjoyable stay. This was an extremely rare night out where we all went together to celebrate my sisters birthday, and we were just half a mile away in the local inn. We wanted an early meal as she has two children. My parents, who never seem to be able to relax, even left quite early to make sure you were in. When they saw your car & the keys gone from reception they realised you were in the lodge, they didn't want to disturb you as you had children. If there had been any problems & you called the mobile, they would have immediately left the meal to see you were safe.

There was someone on site to help if there were problems 24 hours a day as the caretaker was there while we were out. This we explained over the phone to you yesterday!

The lodges are all well light outside. The lodges have out door lighting, there are path lights and even the Christmas lights from the trees. Any more and it would be a light pollution.

The next morning my father went over to the lodge to check if there was any problems, that you had arrived ok, and if they had settled in alright. You responded that you had and found the lodge no problem and even inquired about staying over Christmas. My father then showed you around two different lodges.. He is a lovely warm polite man and if you read the other reviews on here you can see that people find my parents very welcoming. He said that you were chatting away together quite friendly and is dumbstruck by the report of bad customer service. We all are. In fact no complaint was made to him. Reception is a small walk away from the lodges and at no time during your stay did you come across to tell us any problems & we welcome people do so that we can resolve them as quick as possible. My parents were on site for the remainder of your stay.

The day before you left your two sons came to reception to say that you had run out of sugar. It is a self catering holiday and we have the basics for sale in the small shop at reception. Including bags of sugar. They said you didn't want to buy a bag as you only wanted it for one cup of tea. My Mum went in to her own kitchen and supplied free of charge an ample amount of sugar as a gesture of goodwill. When she handed it to the boys, they said they needed the teabags too!! So again she went back to the kitchen and gave some of her own away free of charge. I am sure you would agree that this was good customer service.

This week is the start of the school holidays and we are extremely busy, more so than normal. so on the morning of departures myself, my sister, my father and two cleaners set about cleaning at 10am to ensure that the nine lodges we had to clean would be ready for guests arrivals at 2pm.

The "young guy" you saw would have been my 60 year old uncle. My Mum who was in reception at the time was on the phone as you were leaving and my uncle thought he was doing a good turn by answering the door & not leaving you waiting if you were just handing the key in. He doesn't work for us, he was just trying to be helpful on an busy morning. If you had asked to speak to someone, he would have invited you in to wait for my Mum to come off the phone. He was very polite & friendly and asked if you had enjoyed your stay and you just handed the key back. He is also taken aback by the fact that you say he gave him you poor customer service when he was merely helping out.

You emailed via Facebook at 22.20 on Sunday night. I saw the email just as I was heading to bed and didn't want to email back until I had checked things over with my parents. The next morning I spoke to the family & l was in middle of emailing you back when we received your second very rude email. My father then immediately called you, talked to you politely and you seemed happy with the resolution, but then decided to twist the truth on trip adviser.

Not once in your emails of phone conversations had you mentioned anything about musty smell. In fact the lodge was renovated in April of this year and would not have been musty. Thank you for your suggestion on plug in air fresheners, but they can trigger people with allergies and asthma so would not be something we would put into the lodges.

I think it was an unfortunate set of circumstances that we missed you on Friday night, & for that we do apologise. We didn't leave the lodges at risk & the rest of you stay you were provided with warm friendly customer service, I am sorry you feel otherwise.

Warm regards
Andrea
Rocklands Lodges

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Ideal for family or romantic break . Just back from three nights stay with kids.loads to do and see within half hour also flamingoland only 10 mins away.kids want to go back and do it all again.says it all really.thanks to hosts as very helpful and made our break so relaxing

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Just returned from a 3 Night romantic October stay at the Rocklands Lodge Pickering, Signed up to Trip Adviser just so i can say what a fantastic place this is! With the slogan of being a hidden gem nothing is closer to the truth. Upon arrival we were met with very friendly service and given lodge number 2, walking in was quite literally a wow moment and within 15 minutes of arrival i went back to the reception and paid for an extra night, within 30 minutes of arrival we made full use of the built in BBQ's and grounds.
The next day we had a lovley 7 Mile walk around North Yorkshire and found a nice scenic roman camp close by. There was a great deal of things to do and we couldn't believe being from the North East that we hadn't discovered the place sooner. We spent afew hours at Eden Camp and then had a nice meal in the Buck Inn pub close by. The staff at Rocklands were always on hand to help and give advice and it seemed like a very close knit family run business. Reading the previous reveiws hopes were high and we were far from disapointed. DVD rental was a nice touch aswell as the Honesty Box in the shop, its little details that can make a great deal of difference. Excellent value for money and we will definately be returning sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had another fantastic weekend at Rocklands Lodges. This was our 5th or 6th visit and we just love going here. It is a family run centre and so very personal tough. Lovely service, great friendly place and I can't recommend enough! There are so some lovely walks and it is so quiet!

This time we arrived and had no cash to buy fish and chips at the mobile fish shop that comes in a Friday nights the owner came out and paid for ours and added it to our bill. Love this!!!!

If you are wanting a lovely peaceful break, this is the place.

Room Tip: We've stayed in several lodges. They are all lovely
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I have just enjoyed a really magical short break. The manager and family members of the family run site where very friendly and helpful. The lodges are set in a mostly relaxing setting amongst the many trees. Great for families with children who can play outside using the many facilities in a safe environment. Ideal if you just want to get away and relax. We stayed in a studio lodge which was very well equipted both inside and out. Its in easy reach of Whitby, Scarborough resorts and ideal if you want to walk or Tour the Yorkshire dales. Each lodge is very accessible for Disabled visitors and whatever you need management will look after you. We will definately be visiting again and will be recommending it to all our friends

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple