“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rocklands Lodges

Rocklands Lodges
“Great stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Rocklands along with 19 other ladies as part of my hen do. We rented 4 of the cabins. The cabins were perfect for what we wanted. Somewhere to relax and congregate together and a decent place to sleep. Owners were friendly and even gave some of our group a couple of lifts into Pickering. There were quite a few flies but this wasn't anything to do with the cleanliness of the place because it was clean. The fact is, it is summer and you are in the countryside, you're going to get flies! The lodges were excellent value for money and everyone in my party really enjoyed their stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Blenheim9
pickeringholiday, General Manager at Rocklands Lodges, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hello Bride To Be,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am so pleased that the hen weekend was a success for you. I know is always nerve racking to plan a group event so I am delighted that you found the lodges perfect for what you were looking for. You certainly had the weather the weekend your were here. We were only too happy to help you get your party in the to the town and I am sure you have a enjoyable night in Pickering.

I wish you all the best for your upcoming wedding I am sure it will be a wonderful day.
Warm wishes
Andrea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Rocklands hon time to check in at 4pm. Nonody greeted us. We proceeded to reception and found the keys in an envelope for 14 Glaisedale.The check in was from 4pm onwards so i feel that someone could have made an effort and been there from 4-9pm to check in there guests. We found the lodge after driving round the area with no directions. I feel I was miss informed with the info posted on there web page about the lodge being "NEAR" the park. Near the park to me is a short walk maybe 50 to 100 yards. But It wasn't near the park it was practically on top of it. My idea of a peaceful break in a nice lodge went out the window there were around 5-6 kids and there parents running around outside our lodge every night, I couldn't even sit and have a nice drink or a bit of peace and quiet on patio because the ball kept coming over to us and screaming kids making noise. The patio was area was dirty there was old bottles from the previous owners still in the recycling box, a dog bowl with old food in it that had filled up with rain water. My mother went to her room and found 2 dead flies one on her bed another on her window sill. Talking of the flys when we enter and unpacked we found a fly swatter. I was soon to find out why it was there. (I seriously in all honesty must have killed around 15 flies in the first hour or so). The lodge backs into a farmers field and they use manure ect on the crops, personally that's why I think we were overrun with the flys. The weather was hot and we couldn't open the doors for fear of letting all flies back in. The top of the fridge freezer was greasy and dirty looks like it not been wiped for a while. The stairs leading upto the lodge are dangerous with a big gap between the bottom steps. My mother has a bad knee and I have a small 4 year old boy . So I stuck the gate over the step so he couldn't use them and we used the disability ramp instead. The barbecue area looked like it hadn't been cleaned and the utility's were scruffy . Not that we're were going to use it anyway since we had no privacy . I took my 4 year old to the play area it was falling to bits and was unsafe. They had a plastic Wendy house at bottom of play area it hadn't been cleaned for a very long time if ever?. The keys to the lodge were bent and we had an horrendous time trying to open and close the doors . They advertised free wifi in public area. What wifi??? I got no free wifi signal. What they refused to mention is the wifi is free if you are a BT broadband subscriber you can use the wifi hotspot. If you don't have BT broadband then it's very expensive around £4 for 30 mins and £25 for the week and it would only work if you were standing outside right next to the main house reception. I cut my holiday short by 1 day because by the Wednesday night we had enough. I don't know what the other lodges are like but 14 Glaisedale DID NOT meet my expectations for a 4 star lodge.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Paul L
Thank you for your review.

We are a small family run business and take every negative review to our hearts as we genuinely want to our guests to enjoy their time with us. I do apologise that you did not like your stay at the park. The comments you have made will be seriously looked into so we can learn, improve and strengthen our business. I wished that you would have come over to see us whilst you were here as some of the issues could have been resolved immediately and we are very approachable & on hand to help with any problem. I will address a couple of the points you have made.

Firstly you state that no one was there to greet you when you arrived. As far as we are aware, on the day of your arrival Mr Watson, the owner was on site gardening and left the keys in reception in case he missed the doorbell. When you saw that you had arrived, he walked over to greet you. We do apologise if you felt that you had been neglected. We will look at ways that guests can contact us if we are away from the office but still on site.

If your key had bent we would have happily given you a replacement key. Reception is just a few yards away from your lodge and we would not have liked you to have been having any trouble with the locks.

I do need to address the claim that the fields behind the lodges are covered with manure. I am sorry but you are mistaken there. In July, the fields are filled with golden crops ready to be harvested in August. There is no way that a farmer would put manure on a grown crop, manure is used to fertilise the soil before you sow the seeds.

During the unusual heat wave we have just experienced there we did have a lot of flies, as a lot of people experienced in the country. This was unusual and we tried to help the customers by providing them with fly swats & fly spray. This was unfortunately beyond our control. I am happy to say that with the weather cooling down the flies have now gone.

The lodge is next to the play area, we have never claimed it to be anywhere else. It states on our website “A large bright detached two bedroom lodge set close to the children's play area”

We do provide FREE wifi for all our customers no matter the provider. It is available in the reception area & the outside in the public area’s and as far as the wi-fi will reach. The access code is written on a poster in reception. Parts of the site do fall into a BT hotspot which means that a few customers may be able to receive their wi-fi in their lodge if they are a BT customer. This is not something we have set up and we cannot guarantee the success of connecting to the hotspots. There is absolutely no need for anyone to pay for wi-fi. As you have missed the poster I will ensure that we have better signage so that customers can see the access code more easily.

We do not provide wi-fi into the lodges currently as we are waiting for the old BT lines in the national park to be replaced with fibre optic so we can provide the best service possible for the guests rather than frustrating them with a slow connection. Hopefully that will take place this year.

I will look into every other point you have made and where possible we will improve.

The lodge & the site were recently inspected in June by the independent Quality in Tourism Inspectors and we were awarded a 4 star rating for the 8th year running.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Dear Edmund and Jean,

Just wanted to say thank you for your hospitality and lovely lodge, my two dogs Milly and Pip had the best time, location tranquil and lodges equipped to make you feel at home and comfortable. I would love to return again sooner rather than later. I and my friend both felt suitably re-charged. Well done guys.
Denise from Houghton le Spring.

Room Tip: Family Lodge Bilston
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Good Afternoon Denise,

Thank you for your delightful review.

We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and that Milly & Pip enjoyed their holiday too.
Dogs are part of the family and we feel they should have a great time away as much as their owners.

It means so much to us that people take the time to write such lovely reviews. We do so much want our guests to have a wonderful stay & I am glad that you are both recharged. You know where to find us if you feel you need to chill out again. We would love to welcome you all back.

Warmest regards
Es, Jeanne & Andrea
Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in one of the semi-detached lodges and it was one of the most relaxing breaks we've ever had. The setting is beautiful and so peaceful, and the lodge was well equipped. The bed was so comfy and the shower was high pressure.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen B
Thank you for taking your time to write a such a wonderful review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here & had a peaceful getaway.
The new beds are getting a lot of comments about the comfort, perfect for a relaxing break.
I hope that we can welcome you back here again soon.

Marketing Manager
Rocklands Lodges
yorkshire
Reviewed 15 June 2014

i have stayed here many times now since our first visit in 2009. The lodges have really improved and they are just lovely. The owners are adorable and super friendly and helpful.

I can definitely recommend staying here

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kellyturner1974
Thank you Kelly, what a lovely review.
We always like seeing you here. We must be doing something right to have your repeat business. Your a real regular and such a lovely guest.
I do hope that we can welcome you again soon.

All the best Andrea
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a lovely stay at the lodge with our dog. The lodge was thoughtfully furnished with everything you may need, They even have a small shop on site for essentials. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this place to family and friends.

Thomas & Sheela

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
pickeringholiday, General Manager at Rocklands Lodges, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hello Thomas and Sheela,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay & would recommend our site to your family & friends.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here in November 2013, we stayed in the same cabin the first time we came here. The cabin was showing signs of wear and tear and could do with a bit of refurbishment. There was a dog running about all over the place and barking a lot and did his business on the grass, this was not picked up. Apparently it was the cleaners dog, the owners need to get a grip of this as children play on the grassed areas, we always keep our dogs on their leads. The owners have added a little shop in reception for basic essentials you may have forgot to take. Again fish and chip van was excellent even though it does come late after 8.30pm.

Room Tip: Take barbecue essentials as each cabin has a barbecue
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
pickeringholiday, General Manager at Rocklands Lodges, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello John

Thank you for taking the time to put a review on Trip Adviser.

The lodges are the moment are under going a re-decoration programme. We are doing this ourselves so does take a little bit of time, but each one is being decorated inside and furniture replaced where necessary, and new carpets and flooring where necessary. If you join us as a friend on Facebook you will be able to see the lodges after pictures and the progress of the programme. So far we have had great feedback, especially for the lodge we have recently extended from a one bedroom to a two bedroom.

We have dealt with the cleaners dog and built a run for her at the back of the house, but please be rest assured that frequently throughout every day we do a sweep of the park in case any owners have missed mess. So it will have been picked up. We have always done this and always will, as any dog friendly place should, so all grass areas, especially around the children's play area are clean. It's part of our daily routine.

We would love to see you return, especially so you can see the decorated lodges.

Andrea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
The White Swan Inn
#3 of 49 in Pickering
The KP
The KP
#2 of 6 in Pocklington

Been to Rocklands Lodges? Share your experiences!