“Great Time!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in a 3 bed Golden Oak - March 2014

-The lodge was very modern, clean and warm.
-The underfloor heating was very effective so do turn it off a few hours before bed as we were super toasty in the night until we perfected it.
-The hot tub was great! I usually pass on such amenities but this one was very well maintained so I trusted it.
-At this time of year (Mid March) we hardly so anybody, it was very peaceful.
-We opted for,the entertainment package (wifi and movies). We did find that the movies were not so great eg choice and up to date (maybe our own taste) so next time we plan to take a DVD player and our own movies.
-Bed was super comfy!
-Be assured the Smoke alarm is very effective - I burnt the toast!
-You can order pizza via your TV and a fish and chip van (looked like a decent van!) visits one night if you wanted a hit of take away. We mainly ate in our went to the pubs.

Cycling
-We hired bikes which seemed well maintained.
-We do feel the cycle maps could be much more informative (a basic print out with minimal reference points) as we did get seriously confused on the 9 mile route (maybe it was our skills but we have followed maps before!). You do need to like hills also! The 4 mile was great however.

Could be better minor hints:
-We did have to wait for an hour and half for the introduction/welcome visit to our lodge. We kinda had to hang about until they arrived so missed picking up our bikes. We would have had a quick cycle or walk around to get our bearings otherwise. Obviously it's a busy time for them (check in) and we actually figured out how to work the TV and hot tub ourselves whilst waiting so we didn't need the talk. The reps were very lovely however.
-Although the kitchen was well stocked the dishwasher did not work so great so annoyingly we had to wash pots again by hand and resorted to giving up on the dishwasher. I usually do pots at home so this would have been a treat.
-Some of the utensils/tins could have done with replacing to keep up the the spec of the rest of the lodge.
-Some information at the welcome chat would be beneficial as I was unsure what to do with no phone signal if we had an emergency in the night (i suddenly thought as I went to bed) though there's a bit of info in the lodge book which I didn't get round to reading until later.
-Bike drop off at the lodge would be an extra treat to add to the package.
-The shop was pretty pricy (as usual in such places) so do pack what you need ahead of time if you can. There are nice cake shops in Pickering if you want to stock up.
-Customer Service - not to be picky but when we handed in our key at check out we didn't get an enquiry about how our stay was which would have been nice. Hence we didn't get to say re the dishwasher and cycle map (we still dont understand how we got off piste!) etc. The staff were busy and distracted to be fair but that kind of enquiry does round of the trip and gives a bit of feedback.

Local Amenities:
-There's a fair bit to do in the area so you can be busy as you like.
-Scarborough was a nice coastal day out, as was York. Pickering was nice however the steam train was only running at weekends so we missed out on that (next time!) and the Castle wasn't open yet too.
-There's a nice farm shop on the way from Cropton towards Pickering - buy the orange drizzle cake and cycle it off!

Overral:
We would definitely stay here again and also will try out the other venues...

Thanks Forest Holidays :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeeDeeJayJay
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review following your recent Forest Holidays break at Cropton. I am delighted to hear that you had a great time and would stay with us again in the future. We welcome your hints about things which could be improved and we will discuss all that you have included at our regular review meeting. I do apologise that you felt you didn’t have the opportunity to give this feedback at the time of your check out. It is unusual for the team not to ask how your holiday was; we are always most interested to hear of our guests’ experiences and gather their feedback. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My last review seems to have disappeared, so second time lucky...

I made a booking on the 21st feb to visit the Crompton site in April of this year and after spending a week in your Sherwood Forest site last year and having an absolutely fantastic time, I had no hesitation in booking again this year.

Unfortunately though, my experience this time has left me angry / disappointed and shocked at the Customer Services provided by one of your Head Office representatives to the point that I actually cancelled my booking. I wanted to take the time to compile this review as I believed that your Company ethos was to provide the best experience possible to all of your Customers - however my experience fell very short of this expectation.

After making the booking online and reserving cabin number 5 at Crompton (Golden Oak), I called the Head office on the Friday morning just to verify my choice and to make sure I had selected the most appropriate cabin for my needs. As I have two dogs, I wanted to make sure that the cabin wasn’t too close to a busy road and was private enough that my dogs were not like to bother other guest or be bothered by passing traffic. I spoke to a gentleman who really didn’t seem to want to help me at all. He told me to speak to the site itself which I did (staff actually at the site were fantastic - very very helpful)

I called the Head Office back and again spoke to the same gentleman. At this point, I wanted to change cabin (number 5 apparently didn’t face the woods and the decking area was facing a mini-car park on a forestry road which could be passed by three lorries through the week) and for circa £600 I would have hoped for better.

Unfortunately I was told that there weren’t any other cabins that suited my needs so we looked at alternative locations as I said I would be happy to go to other Forest Holiday locations.

I was informed that I could downgrade to a Silver Birch at Keldy but would lose the wi-fi option as this wasn’t available, while I was disappointed I couldn’t get a Golden Oak, I was happy to go with the offering of number 58 at Keldy as it matched all of my other requirements…ie: privacy / facing the forest.

At this point, I was told that there would be a £50 admin charge which astounded me (remember, I only made the booking less than 24hrs before) and after a little negotiation this was lowered to £20 – which was still £20 too much in my opinion based on the circumstances.

However, I agreed to this and asked what the total price difference would be as I expected to get a fair refund as the Silver Birch at Keldy was over £130 cheaper than the Golden Oak at Crompton). I was informed that I would get £8 rebated, now – I am not maths teacher but I am sure you can appreciate that this is not fair or correct. I was willing to spend more on larger cabins and would hope for a fair refund if I was downgrading.

I then said that I would cancel the booking and re-book myself online but was then told that this wasn’t possible even though i had taken out insurance and that I would lose all of my money – this was the final straw, I now wanted to booking cancelled and I was not going to re-book.

Finally after explaining again that I had only made the booking the previous evening I was told that I would get a full re-fund (which I was then told may take up to 5 working days)

Throughout all of the discussions, I was open to change and was flexible to what was available but at no point did I feel that I was actually being helped – I felt that it really didn’t matter to the person at the end of the phone and that I was the one being difficult.

I finished the call angry / frustrated and very upset, this is not the experience I was expected when communicating with you. I have since booked a holiday elsewhere and I highly doubt I will be returning to / or recommending Forest Holidays in the future.

On the advise of a Customer Service respresentative, i sent in a written complaint and received an automatic response saying you would respond within 21 days - however, I have heard nothing. This could have been resolved very quickly and I could still be happy customer returning to a lovely location but alas - poor Customer Service has resulting in my opinion being turned upside down.

To say I am disappointed and angry is an understatement.

To summerise - the actual sites = fantastic but if you have to deal with the Head Office - beware.

Room Tip: Cabin 5 at Crompton is built back to front - the decking area does NOT face the woods, it faces a ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gBrambles
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry your experience was so frustrating. On investigation it appears that, after an exhaustive search, we hadn’t any available cabins that met your specific requirements for the dates you wanted. The confusion over the amendment and cancellation penalties arose because our advisor was quoting our standard terms and conditions before they realised that you had only booked the previous evening. These conditions are waived if you amend or cancel within 24 hours of the original booking, which of course was the case here. As soon as the advisor realised this, your booking was cancelled and a full refund initiated. Our advisor was disappointed he couldn’t find you a suitable cabin and is mortified that you feel he didn’t want to help; he tried hard over a number of phone calls to find something suitable. Please don’t be put off by your experience; we always aim to put ourselves in our customers’ shoes and do our very best to find solutions when problems arise. I do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We hired three Golden Oak lodges here for a long weekend for my 30th birthday.
The lodges were immaculate - really well insulated and we made full use of the hot tubs!
The staff here were also really friendly and the location was just perfect.
Not far from Dalby Forest where there is a Go Ape and lots of other cool stuff to do. Oh and the Cropton Brewery/ New inn is only a mile down the road which is a lovely pub - I recommend the Yorkshire Gold Ale!
I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for either an active/ relaxing getaway.
We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back - hopefully for a mountain bike holiday in the summer! They have decking area with a bbq too - all good for a bit of Al fresco dining!
I have also been looking at their other sites - would love to stay in a tree house one day! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Happy birthday and thank you for taking the time to write a review - we will certainly settle for “awesome”. I am delighted you enjoyed your break and I do hope we will see you for that mountain biking break in the summer.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just returned from a very relaxing weekend at Cropton Forest Holidays. Beautiful location, warm, comfortable & v. friendly, helpful staff. Handy for local pub The New Inn Cropton & for catching train Malton to York.

Room Tip: sunny decking for the afternoon if poss.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review following your Forest Holidays break at Cropton. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your get-together and I hope you will choose us again.

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Late at reviewing but we stayed in a 2 bed silver birch for new year. Lodge is lovely with everything you need - love the underfloor heating. Isolated site but lovely for walks the kids enjoyed it. No mobile phone/wifi/3G signal. You can buy a film and wifi package which we did and enjoyed lazy nights watching films and have some contact with the outside world!! Hot tub was fab and clean but no temp control this is obviously set by them but was fine. Really relaxing break and the champagne hamper left for the new year was greatly received x

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your review following your New Year break at Cropton. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope you enjoyed the champagne whilst relaxing in the hot tub! We’d love to see you again, perhaps next New Year?

Reviewed 11 March 2014

There's something very relaxing about being in the forest, and this forest holiday's site makes you feel very secluded. The cabins are all pretty new, so the modern decor, layout and functionality is very comfortable, and the hot tub is worth while for an extra bit of luxury. It's not a big site, but apparently there's plans to upgrade the communal facilities (forest retreat, etc.), and build more cabins within the existing grounds, which will only improve the place.
It's a nice base for adventuring into the forest, with mapped walks all around the immediate forest area, and the Keldy site isn't too far away, which has slightly more modern facilities (but older cabins). You're only a short drive from some nice yorkshire places like pickering, scarborough and york, or you can hire a bike to head into the wilds as well.
I'd say the only criticisms I have are that there was no instruction on how to use the underfloor heating, or how the recycling needs to be sorted (done differently to where I live). That and the water went off for most of a day without warning - not good when you have a 6 month old baby! They did supply bottled water as an emergency measure.

Room Tip: Hot tubs are probably best in winter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent break in Cropton. I am pleased you liked the peace and seclusion of the forest and enjoyed your family break. Thank you for your feedback with regard to the extra information you would have liked in your cabin; we will review this. In the meantime the team are always happy to answer any questions. I hope you will stay with again before too long.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We arrived for a much needed relaxing break. The Cabin was clean airy and just had a wow factor. The hot tub was to die for! If you are looking for more of an adventure break then there are many activities for adults and children. The Retreat will order and deliver items like breakfast rolls, croissants etc to your door! We had a fantastic break walking and simply relaxing in the hot tub. I would love to come here for Christmas or New Year or any time really! Try it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent break at Cropton. I am so pleased that you enjoyed a nice relaxing break and by the sound of it, took advantage of the services on offer. Do come for Christmas or the New Year; it is a magical time in the forest.

Holiday Advisors Team Leader

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Raithwaite Estate
#11 of 29 in Pickering
The New Inn
The New Inn
#1 of 1 in Cropton

Been to Forest Holidays Cropton, North Yorkshire? Share your experiences!