“Unbeatable Stay !”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
cheshire, UK
“Unbeatable Stay !”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed last weekend with friends, watching Simple Minds at nearby Dalby Forest. We stayed 2 nights, and had a meal at the hotel on the 2nd night.

From the welcome to the departure, this was a truly exceptional hotel stay. Faultless.

Room was great, breakfast exceptional, meal was a great experience. Staff were fantastic.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SteveR-Cheshire
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
I too managed a visit to see 'the Minds' in Dalby Forest - they were great and for once it stayed dry. Didn't bother with Eurasure the next night though - not my scene.

We did quite a few pic-nics from our deli next door for the event and we are delighted to organise early dinners and transport for concert goers.

Thanks for your review and I hope we will see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Switzerland
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Couldn't fault the hotel, fascilities and the sumptuous food! Only one quibble, the downstairs room was far too warm, even with the much needed fan!

Room Tip: Choose upstairs as the rooms are far too warm!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Thank you for your kind review. Much as I would like to pretend it is 25 deg C here all the time, it isn't but it has been really warm over the last few days. I completely take your point and whilst we don't pretend that the rooms have AC we do however equip each one with a large electric fan (which isn't as good as AC but is better than nothing). Your tip for an upstairs room in the Coutyard rooms is probably a good one as they have two windows instead of one. I do hope we see you again soon
London
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed at the White Swan at the end of a tour round Yorkshire. We carefully researched all the hotels we stayed at over the week and were not disappointed in any of them. But, where the White Swan really stood out was in the friendly service and excellent accomodation. Beautifully decorated bedrooms, amazing food in the restaurant and a fabulous guest room complete with comfy sofas and a pool table really made this hotel special. We ate there on the first night of our two night stay and thoroughly enjoyed choosing a suitable wine to go with our meal from the very extensive and well researched wine list. We both thoroughly enjoyed the meal - my lamb was particularly good. Then we retired to the guest room to play pool and relax. We also went on the steam train to Whitby and had a fabulous day out - have already recommended that my parents come and stay here as a base to see Yorkshire. When I returned from my trip I received a hand written card wishing me a safe return and thank you for staying. That level of service is hard to come by these days in the UK and I am already thinking staycations might be the way forward after the enjoyable week away we had this year in Yorkshire.

replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Glad you especially liked the service and thank you for your kind review. Great service isn't cheap to provide so we think it needs to be a cut above the rest to justify the price we charge for it. We look forward to your return and with the Euro/Sterling rate hovering around 1.10, we aren't planning to go to Europe either. Staycations are the way ahead!
merseyside
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We wanted a comfortable, stylish hotel for a short break, in a central location, from where we could explore the local area. The White Swan provided all of this, great food, lovely staff and very stylish room, right in the centre of Pickering We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms. Went on the Steam Railway and visited Castle Howard. An unexpected bonus was the Flea Market just over the road, where we pickedup some great bargains.

replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2011
Thank you for your kind review after a run of three that have kept me awake all night with worry. You have restored my spirits. DO come back as soon as possible and bring everyone you know.
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed here with friends for a long weekend. Good hotel and good bar with games room with pool table. Price is not competative enough and cost over £175 per night per person all in which is expensive given the location and overall offering. For this price you would expect spa / pool / gym type services.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2011
Glad you liked the hotel but disappointed if you found us to be not great value for money. From your review I can't tell which room you had or whether the price you quote includes drinks and wine etc. I would think it fair to say that you could expect to pay between £125 and £200 a head for dinner bed and breakfast with drinks & wine etc on average if on a one night stay at the weekend depending on which room you book - to be honest I don't make any apology for this cos it is what it is and won't take the opportunity to drone on about 20%VAT and the wage bill and food costs and energy bills and the cost of borrowing tripled over three years blah blah blah. However we do frequently publish great deals on our web site (and others) that make it possible to get away from here without my bank enjoying quite so much of your hard earned cash. I would like to keep the banks name off the tiny bit of the deeds that they don't already own and you have now done your bit so thank you for your custom.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We booked this hotel having read a review in the Sawdays good pub and inns book 2011

We arrived for a quiet weekend at the worse time, when it was a 60's event in the town which we were only told about the day before. We opted prior to arrving(and paid extra!) for a traditional suite, the room was very large but lacked any character. The bathroom was seriously dated, and the shower was frustrating (no pressure and kept going hot and cold). The room felt cheap, and my neck is still sore from the bad positioning of the TV. The toilet seat would fall on you too if you were not careful! The staff were mixed, some were V.friendly others I felt were very flustered. The dinner was nice, the breakfast was awful and the bacon was extremly hard. If it was not for it's high price per night it would be a decent hotel, yet for over £220 a night I feel it really lacked the smaller touches that makes you want to come back.

I would recommend the evening restaurant, the food was nice and reasonably priced, the bar area was very cosy as well. A lovely place to stop off and try some local ale.

The hotel is where this establishment fails to make the grade. The room we were in showed no resembalance too their website.

Saddly I would not stay at this hotel again.

3 Thank chazANDdave38
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
I apologise profusely for not responding to your review. TA have just changed the way they notify us of reviews and yours is one of three out of 170 that I must have missed. It looks like you enjoyed the meal but not the room. If you can remember I would love to know what room you were in and I will look into this further - albeit a long time ago. Please do get in touch.

Regards

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk
Zeals, Wiltshire
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Most things about the Whits Swan fall short of the mark. Which is a real shame 'cos it could be great.

Our 'courtyard' room (20) was really in a car park. The once nice gravel drive in now looked like a farm track. Being lined with dead bay trees in planters didn't help (how difficult can it be to replace these?).

The room was nice - large and airey. But it lacked character. It was modern and minimalist - but hard cold slate flooring is not what you always want on a cold wet Yorkshire day! But it was hot! We had the windows all the time and the thermostat on zero and it was baking. Noisy too. The thin walls of this newish purpose guilt extension allowed too much noise transmission in our view. Upstairs room may be quieter - ours wasn't.

The staff were great. Counldn't be nicer or more helpful. But the kitchen staff let them down. My venison and my wifes steak were a long way off the medium rare we requested - medium-well more like. They offerd to change them, but after a long day when you're hungry we just put up with it. But the meal was spoiled.

My breakfast was similsr. the bacon had been sitting in a bain marie for some time and would have shatted into 100 peices if i'd put a fork in it! This was such a shame as the fresh breakfast they replaced it for was first class.

Our dinner, bed and breakfast package was £250 - the most expensive of our week in Yorkshire (including Hotel du Vin in York - absolutely superb by the way!). On check out the receptionist explained that we hadn't spent our full allowance on dinner and reduced our bill. A very nice touch - and typical of the courteous and helpful staff. Pity the rest of the hotel doesn't attempt such attention to detail.

We didn't have the heart to tell the receptionist that we didn't order anything alse in case that was over cooked too!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Johnnywiggy
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2011
Definately not what we expected either - It looks like we weren't your cup of tea. Point taken on the bay trees -cost £450 in October & we were clinging on to the hope that they might recover (now removed). Farm track - a bit harsh but agree some more gravel is required (ordered and a smaller pea size so I hope the crunch doesn't keep people up all night through the newish walls guilt (sic) to Category 6 Building Standards within an existing two foot thick stone walled building dating back to 1790. -So thank you for pointing these things out.

We serve Rib-eye medium to medium well done and venison pink - for good reason. If you instruct the chefs to go off piste then tough! literally. I think for a staff you describe as faultless a mark of three out of five is also harsh but they'll live. My original rant at you was banned so I hope you enjoyed the one sent privately - I was quite incensed that you originally wrote two stinging reviews but didn't have the grace to apologise when I pointed it out. Next time I thoroughly recommend the Forest & Vale on the round-about. It is a proper hotel with net curtains and staff with name badges and everything - rather than a pub with rooms that have stone floors - which are fantastic in the winter by the way despite your predictions.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Wrea Head Hall
Wrea Head Hall
#1 of 28 in Scarborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,823 reviews

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!