“Ideal Place to Stay”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had booked this hotel as a 2 night getaway for me and my husband after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were certainly not disappointed as the hotel looked exactly like the photos on the website.
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and the staff were lovely and extremely helpful. We were shown to our room within a few minutes and were told where everything was in the hotel and in our room.
I had booked the 'Superior Vintage' Room with the 'Louis XV super king-size bed' (this really was a big bed)!!! When you first walk into the room there is a decent size living room with TV, coffe table, sofa and wardrobe, adjacent to this room as the lovely bathroom with bath, overhead shower, toilet, sink and complete with candles (nice touch) and toiletries etc.
You then go up 4 or 5 stairs to the very large bedroom where it did look very regal.
Both the living room and bedroom overlook the main street, however you don't really notice any noise from the street at night.
My only negative with this room (which may have just been that we were unlucky that night), we had very noisy neighbours in the room above!
It sounded like they were just walking up and down the room constantly most of the night and then from 6.00am in the morning the footsteps did not stop at all. I did have a look up to the next floor to see where the footsteps were coming from and it was deffinitely in the room above and not from the corridor.
As we had little or no sleep that night and this resorted to my husband hitting the ceiling of our room, eventually I had had enough and went down to reception.
The lady at reception was lovely and said she would look into this. I was also offered a free bottle of champagne for our trouble, which I declined as I really just wanted some sleep and do not like complaining about anything.
Later that day I spoke to another extremely helpful lady at reception who said they would maybe ask the other guests to be a bit more considerate and that we would get a small discount off our room when we checked out the next day.
Obviously I was just pleased that this had been dealt with so quickly, however at teatime that day we received a call to the room offering a transfer of rooms to the Hideaway Treat room (not part of the main hotel).
We jumped at the chance to go as we just wanted a decent nights sleep. This room is more like an apartment and I wish I had booked this from the beginning, it is gorgeous. If you are looking for a romantic stay - then this is the room for you. His and hers overhead showers in a wet room downstairs. A stand alone bath in the room downstairs. Upstairs is the bedroom with with TV, wine and glasses, dressing table, mini bar and doors that open inwards with a secure metal veranda.
This room was absolutely perfect and so lovely and quiet - I would certainly stay here again.

The staff at this hotel are all very helpful, friendly, approachable and really welcoming.

This is a hotel mainly for couples I would say and in some rooms you can also take your dogs (I may take my labrador next time).

A lovely hotel, great staff, nice little bar, perfect location - Thank you for being so helpful.
Donna & Mike Woff

Room Tip: The 'Hideaway Treat' is really something special and not part of the main hotel. If staying...
1  Thank donnatheboots2007

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Pickering is a small market town at the end of the North Yorks Moors railway line. There's not much to do when you get there, quick visit to the castle and a mooch around the shops so a pit stop here on the High St for a drink is a good idea as it looks like the best show in town. Nicely decorated little front bar, good beer, lovely selection of wine, good tea and coffee.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My new husband and I stayed at The White Swan Inn as part of our honeymoon and we would like to express our delight at our hideaway cottage, which has a lounge (with a huge bath) a bathroom downstairs and the bedroom upstairs. The hideaway was very quiet and there is a nice area outside with a bistro table and chairs which we took advantage of the sunny weather. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The restaurant was good and a had a varied menu.The breakfast was also very good with my only gripe being the toast was not quite "toasted" enough for us.

Room Tip: The Hideaway Treat was very special with a large bath tub for sharing.
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights as part of a UK trip and couldn't have been happier. George who checked us in and made us feel very special and welcome for our whole stay. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone. We stayed in the Hideaway Rooms as we travel with our dog who was also very welcome. Pickering is lovely and this is a highly recommended place to stay and eat. Definitely try the Ginger Pig !!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Was taken here by my partner for a weekend. She knows I like my food and had been led to believe that the White Swan would measure up ... it didn't.
Annexe room was very good in all respects. Excellent bathroom, linen, etc ...
The guests coffee lounge was a great disappointment. in four visits over 36 hours coffee was only available once. At other times the self-servery was in need of attention and replenishment.
In the hotel directory found in the bedroom there was mention of the chef's long service record. This was reflected in the menu and the way it was translated onto the plate. In a word ... Dated.
Additionally there was great confusion on the part of the waiting staff within the restaurant. There was no shortage in their numbers but their manner and demeanour was consistent with little or no training and the result was innordinate delays at each stage of the most disappoiting meal, apparently prpared by a chef stuck in a 70's time warp. When assessing hotels there is a need to consider the quality of outcomes against the price. The White Swan fails this litmus test for me and with its current pricing structure is likely to shed more repeat custom than it attracts.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BBB1945
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear BBB1945

I wonder if your moniker on here reflects your date of birth? If so you should be able to remember the 70s but perhaps you are doing it through (Matteus) Rose tinted spectacles?

How you can compare our food to somewhere stuck in a 70s timewarp is beyond me - it is true that there is nothing new under the sun but you won't find pineapple chunks and brown windsor soup on our menu. We do though offer real food from real farms and fishermen cooked really simply. Thats it. No smears, froths, fads or awkward flavour combinations. My head chef was genuinely insulted by your review and you have succeeded in doing nothing but demoralise a hard working and loyal member of the hospitality industry. The Bothy is not a coffee lounge and we don't describe it as such anywhere. It is just somewhere for guests to flop and relax with an honesty bar and a phone for any other need they might have. We have never been asked to come and remove a grumpy old man before but there is always a first.

Regards

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have just stayed for 5 nights at the White Swan in a hideaway room in their annex. The room was very large with an enormous comfy bed, and was great for a stay with a dog. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the breakfasts excellent. We ate two meals there and preferred the ambiance of the front room by the bar to the normal dinning room. In terms of cons, we thought the the hotel and food were expensive, although probably not much more than similar places around. The food was nice but, £22- £25 for a steak, when I had similar at a friends golf club on the way there for £7.95 is a bit much for me. Although the staff were great the service could be a bit slow at busy times. Also a small hick- up with the bill, where they charged for the dog per night, rather than for the stay, was also cheerfully and quickly put right. A trip on the North York railway and to Robin Hood bay is a must if you come this area. Also Castle Howard and Dalby Forest are good days out.

Room Tip: Hideaway rooms are great for pets and you can take them into the bar and front room to eat & dri...
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hi we arrived here on the Saturday and the room was ready at 3. The room was fine, overlooking next doors wine bar. The room was clean and standard. We didn't eat here for either breakfast or an evening meal so I cannot comment, there are plenty of places around to go. We booked the hotel minibus to take us to the concert. That evening upon our return, the window was open due to the heat the noise was very loud from the next door wine bar and was disturbing. I'm not sure I would go back especially for the cost. The manager was very helpful though as I left my telephone charger she did post it on to me.

Room Tip: We had room 4 which overlooked the wine bar, friends we met had an outbuilding which looked much bet...
1  Thank slk038
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 19 in Whitby

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!