“Fantastic little gem with very friendly and professional staff”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Southport
“Fantastic little gem with very friendly and professional staff”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

As I paid for my room at the end of a 3 night stay at the White Swan Inn, I told the Manager how wondeful I thought the place was, and how much I had enjoyed our stay. I promised her there and then I would write a review (only my second ever review and I have stayed at some great places).

We found this place through "Alistair Sawdays Special Places" website, which we have used on many occasions to find unusual and loverly places to stay.

We visited the White Swan website and noticed they had a late deal- 3 nights for the price of two, which made the choice all the more easy.

We stayed with our two cocker spaniels in the new converted stable blocks behind the Inn, they were gorgeous and were perfect for us to stay in with the dogs. We loved the daily home baked cookies left in our room each day, what a nice touch!

The manager in particular was lovely, very friendly yet professional. The whole team couldn't have done any better during our stay. We dined in the restarant on the first night, the food was very nice and the desert was out of this world, at first I thought the desert was on the pricey side but when it arrived it was a little masterpiece and tasted wonderful.

Breakfast was amazing, all local yorkshire produce and my husband informs me the best breakfast he has had for years! He is German and very hard to please normally.

Another evening we ate in the snug at the front of the Inn, comfy sofas and newspapers with a game of cards or scrabble was exactly the type of evening we had in mind, the dogs were even able to join us in there with us whilst we ate, which is a hard thing to find nowadays.

We really loved the leisure room, with a pool table, honesty bar, comfy sofas and tv, which guests could use to relax in- it was really like a home from home.

There are also a few other nice restaurants and a couple of bars within walking distance, along with some nice places to visit with the dogs, so all in all a perfect stay for us.

We look forward to visiting the White Swan Inn again for their warm friendly smiles, great accomodation and deserts to die for!

Many thanks to Tracie and the team!

Katy and Hol

PS: those few of you who may have found it "overpriced" or "not worth the money" should perhaps try the black swan on the same road next time.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purplemunchkin
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2010
Massive thanks for your review and it's great that you were both delighted with the hotel - I guess only one of you was happy with the football in Bloemfontein yesterday though! We get the odd reviewer that thinks we are expensive where we know the reviewer came on a budget and never really utilised what the hotel has to offer - they ate elsewhere and stayed couped-up in their rooms preferring to eat take-away sandwiches instead. No wonder they don't like us - the feeling is mutual. I am thrilled that you took full advantage of The White Swan and enjoyed the visit. Dogs are always welcome (but we do have a couple of rooms that are always kept 'dog-free' for people with allergies) We look forward to welcoming in you back soon and I have been wanting to give your advice to the people who think we charge too much for ages but obviously couldn't. Brilliant and thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Salford
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We had a marvellous long weekend. Hotel was lovely and comfortable. Food very good. The staff were very nice and friendly and attentive. On-site parking is excellent. We will definitely return. The hotel is in the centre of the town and handy for various places to visit. Also the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is in close proximity.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2010
Massive thanks for your feedback and support. We sometimes are accused of charging too much but when you think that a plumber charges £50 an hour and that a ticket to a football match costs the same I think people must have wildly differing definitions of what constitutes value. We look forward to seeing you again soon - keep your eye on our web site as we often have great last minute deals that might not appear anywhere else.
Norwich
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Our stay at the Swan delivered on some superb food, the sauce with the Longhorn Rib- Eye was memorable, and I had to repeat the scallop starter as I enjoyed it so much. The staff were welcoming, and really interested and concerned that we enjoyed our stay. They pride themselves on local produce, and I can vouch for the fact that there were no air miles involved in the potatoes being carried from the market stall in the main street into the kitchens!

Our rooms (separate from the main inn) were very stylish and comfortable. In all, a really lovely place, well worth the prices.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Lisa_whiteswan, General Manager at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Really enjoyed our one night stay at the White Swan. We had a front roon, windows onto main street so it was a bit noisy at night, but after all it was Saturday, great for people watching. I would not describe the room as luxurious but it was very nice and comfortable. The food was delicious and I don't agree with one of the other reviews, there was plenty, I couldn't finish mine so my partner did! The absolute best thing about the White Swan was the staff. They were polite, friendly ,efficient and charming so thanks everyone we had a lovely time!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that the team looked after you well and you found the food to be plentiful. We hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.
London
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We stayed for one night, the room was lovely, really very comfortable and relaxing. The restaurant was excellent, I cannot rate it highly enough, we had dinner there and breakfast the next morning and both meals were fantastic. The service was great and we would be more than happy to go again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2010
Thank you so much for your kind review. One of the reasons that our troops are so friendly is that we pay them properly (no minimum wages here) and employ regular training sessions. It costs nothing to smile after all. We hope you will come back soon and tell all your friends to do the same.
Pickering
Reviewed 10 April 2010

This was to be a special occasion. A birthday treat from my husband. A meal in the White Swan Hotel restaurant.Sadly it was not to be. On arrival , having booked several days earlier, we had to ask for our coats to be taken, remind the staff when our first drink did not arrive after 15 minutes-a poor start.Our table in the restaurant was so close to the next table that we were party to the couple's whole conversation.Perhaps the meal would make up for this. Sadly no.It was poor quality and over-priced.On leaving we did leave a tip. I am not sure why.The waitress in receipt of this gratuity expressed no thanks. I wish we had stayed at home in Pickering. We will certainly not return or recommend the experience.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Judith67Pickering
Lisa_whiteswan, Manager at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2010
Hello,

I was very disapointed to read your review on Tripadvisor this week as I was working on the Saturday evening in question and was led to believe that all of the guests in the restaurant were enjoying their evening, food and service.

I would certainly like to take this opportunity to apologise that this was not the case. I do not find your wait for 15minutes for a drink acceptable and this is not the level of service that I would like to think that we are offering.

I would also like to apologise that the standard of the food was not upto your expectations and our usual standard. We do operate a full money back guarentee if our guests are not completely delighted with their White Swan experience and I will be happy to honour this, as each aspect of your evening is clearly unacceptable. We do encourage our guests to let us know at the time of the compaint so that we have the opportunity to right any wrongs, replace any unsatisfactory dishes or, to go our of our way to turn your evening around.

I will be happy for you to get in touch with me on 01751 472288 so that we can discuss your evening further and I can refund your evening with our sincere apologies.

My best regards,

Alison
Leicester
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We went to Pickering to spend a day on the North York Moors Railway. After a lot of surfing and reading reviews we settled on the White Swan. We didn't regret it! Good experience from booking onwards. Tracey was very helpful dealing with specific requests before we arrived. The rooms (traditonal inn rooms) were in the main building. They were compact but well appointed. Excellent bathrooms, always spotless. Beds were really comfortable, and the pillows were very good (pillows are something that are so often a disappointment!). All the food we had was very good - very fresh and very well presented. The dining room is lovely with a fire and we especially liked the tables as they were big enough to get all the food on without playing chess with the dishes. We did enjoy the club room - had it to ourselves even though the hotel was full. The cues were in one piece, my game was not. That said the the table did have some interesting slopes not immediately noticeable until the ball dropped into the hole from an impossible angle. The club room was very useful for us as a family with teenage boys. The bar is snug, and a good range of beers etc. We had no trouble with the bar next door even though we were in rooms next to it and it was the weekend. And finally, without exception, the staff were all helpful, courteous and we had no complaints. We'd definitely return to the White Swan.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The White Swan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Wrea Head Hall
Wrea Head Hall
#1 of 28 in Scarborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,823 reviews

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!