“Great Place To Stay (& Eat)....For Everyone”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Just spent 2 nights at this hotel in the Contemporary Courtyard Rooms and must say this was a first class establishment. The hotel and staff made myself, my wife, my three year old son, my six month old baby and our two dogs (Barnie & Ted) extremely welcome (and thats not an easy combination). The room was very clean and modern and had everything we needed with virtually en-suite parking too. The restaurant food was top quality and we were even allowed our dogs in the small bar area. Very handy for North Yorks Moor Railway too. Second night we ate at the Pan-Indian restaurant across the road and this is also highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

Thanks for your kind response. It was a pleasure to look after you and your very well behaved children and dogs. Thanks for the en-suite parking idea - coming to a web site near here soon. We hope to see you again soon. Flamingoland is four miles away and brilliant when your kids are a bit bigger - as is Dalby Forest.

Reviewed 3 July 2010

Many thanks for returning our property so promptly, it is very much appreciated. Many hotels would not have bothered. Once again we enjoyed our stay with you, clean and tidy room, 5 star food and attentive staff. All we look for in hotels we stay in. We we will be back soon.
Richard and Marion Seckington

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2010

Thanks for your kind words - we aim to please and all that - and we don't think that service needs to stop just because our guests have left the building - we are aiming at building relationships that hopefully will last for years. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2010

Have just spent two nights at his hotel, and have thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We used the restaurant on our first night and we both thought the food was extremely good, breakfast was the best we have had anywhere. The staff were genuinely friendly, and very helpful when we needed info on local transport and attractions. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

I joined the hospitality business to be hospitable and it is fantastic when we get feedback on a job well done. It is my view that you can build a building anywhere and call it a hotel but it is the people that look after you where the emphasis should be placed by hotel owners. Our long serving team just 'get it' and I am so pleased to see that you noticed and benefited. Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2010

As I paid for my room at the end of a 3 night stay at the White Swan Inn, I told the Manager how wondeful I thought the place was, and how much I had enjoyed our stay. I promised her there and then I would write a review (only my second ever review and I have stayed at some great places).

We found this place through "Alistair Sawdays Special Places" website, which we have used on many occasions to find unusual and loverly places to stay.

We visited the White Swan website and noticed they had a late deal- 3 nights for the price of two, which made the choice all the more easy.

We stayed with our two cocker spaniels in the new converted stable blocks behind the Inn, they were gorgeous and were perfect for us to stay in with the dogs. We loved the daily home baked cookies left in our room each day, what a nice touch!

The manager in particular was lovely, very friendly yet professional. The whole team couldn't have done any better during our stay. We dined in the restarant on the first night, the food was very nice and the desert was out of this world, at first I thought the desert was on the pricey side but when it arrived it was a little masterpiece and tasted wonderful.

Breakfast was amazing, all local yorkshire produce and my husband informs me the best breakfast he has had for years! He is German and very hard to please normally.

Another evening we ate in the snug at the front of the Inn, comfy sofas and newspapers with a game of cards or scrabble was exactly the type of evening we had in mind, the dogs were even able to join us in there with us whilst we ate, which is a hard thing to find nowadays.

We really loved the leisure room, with a pool table, honesty bar, comfy sofas and tv, which guests could use to relax in- it was really like a home from home.

There are also a few other nice restaurants and a couple of bars within walking distance, along with some nice places to visit with the dogs, so all in all a perfect stay for us.

We look forward to visiting the White Swan Inn again for their warm friendly smiles, great accomodation and deserts to die for!

Many thanks to Tracie and the team!

Katy and Hol

PS: those few of you who may have found it "overpriced" or "not worth the money" should perhaps try the black swan on the same road next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank purplemunchkin

Massive thanks for your review and it's great that you were both delighted with the hotel - I guess only one of you was happy with the football in Bloemfontein yesterday though! We get the odd reviewer that thinks we are expensive where we know the reviewer came on a budget and never really utilised what the hotel has to offer - they ate elsewhere and stayed couped-up in their rooms preferring to eat take-away sandwiches instead. No wonder they don't like us - the feeling is mutual. I am thrilled that you took full advantage of The White Swan and enjoyed the visit. Dogs are always welcome (but we do have a couple of rooms that are always kept 'dog-free' for people with allergies) We look forward to welcoming in you back soon and I have been wanting to give your advice to the people who think we charge too much for ages but obviously couldn't. Brilliant and thanks again.

Reviewed 15 June 2010

We had a marvellous long weekend. Hotel was lovely and comfortable. Food very good. The staff were very nice and friendly and attentive. On-site parking is excellent. We will definitely return. The hotel is in the centre of the town and handy for various places to visit. Also the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is in close proximity.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2010

Massive thanks for your feedback and support. We sometimes are accused of charging too much but when you think that a plumber charges £50 an hour and that a ticket to a football match costs the same I think people must have wildly differing definitions of what constitutes value. We look forward to seeing you again soon - keep your eye on our web site as we often have great last minute deals that might not appear anywhere else.

Reviewed 11 May 2010

Our stay at the Swan delivered on some superb food, the sauce with the Longhorn Rib- Eye was memorable, and I had to repeat the scallop starter as I enjoyed it so much. The staff were welcoming, and really interested and concerned that we enjoyed our stay. They pride themselves on local produce, and I can vouch for the fact that there were no air miles involved in the potatoes being carried from the market stall in the main street into the kitchens!

Our rooms (separate from the main inn) were very stylish and comfortable. In all, a really lovely place, well worth the prices.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Lisa_whiteswan, General Manager at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2010

Really enjoyed our one night stay at the White Swan. We had a front roon, windows onto main street so it was a bit noisy at night, but after all it was Saturday, great for people watching. I would not describe the room as luxurious but it was very nice and comfortable. The food was delicious and I don't agree with one of the other reviews, there was plenty, I couldn't finish mine so my partner did! The absolute best thing about the White Swan was the staff. They were polite, friendly ,efficient and charming so thanks everyone we had a lovely time!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that the team looked after you well and you found the food to be plentiful. We hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The Black Swan Hotel
The Black Swan Hotel
#2 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!