“FIRST CLASS”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Reviewed 27 December 2010

The staff in this hotel are the best I have come across in many years of travel. It is a proper country village hotel. The environment is a million miles away from the Holiday Inns of the world and all the better for it. Don't expect acres of space, smoked glass or chrome finishing!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

I apologise profusely for not responding to your excellent review. TA have just changed the way they notify us of reviews and yours is one of three out of 170 that I must have missed. It's been a while so come and see us again soon. Still no chrome so don't worry.

Regards

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk

Reviewed 19 December 2010

This is a hotel we have stayed in before, however, our friends had not and because they had an offer on and we live so far apart from our friends I suggested we went there for dinner and then bed and breakfast and I have just arrived back home. I cannot commend this hotel enough, the rooms were gorgeous, the staff were everything you expect, but rarely receive, from staff, the facilities fabulous - they have what is known as the Club Room where there is complementary tea and coffee an 'honesty' bar, a roaring log fire, a billiard table, books and games galore. We were the only four in the Club Room and completely enjoyed ourselves. But the piece de resistance is the food, why this is not a Michelin-starred hotel is totally beyond me. The food is completely out of this world and definitely worth the trek from North Wales and we did not encounter any bad weather in our journey there or back which was also incredible. It was just as if all four of us had had a dream holiday in mind and it was granted for a brief 24 hours, it was everything we could have wished for and more.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

That is really high praise and I'm sorry it has taken me so long to thank you. December was a shocking month business-wise with all the snow etc so it is great to have your review as a positive reminder that it wasn't all bad.

Reviewed 1 December 2010

Right from the initial booking conversation with reception and all the way through the stay, we could not fault one aspect on our visit. Great rooms, magnificent food and friendly staff.
We believe that we have found our 'bolthole' for chill-out weekends and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2010

Thank you for your kind review. We seem to have been at a 79% approval rating for ages and your review puts us up to 80%. Next stop 90%. I wouldn't call our food 'gourmet' (but i don't mind if you do) as we seek to only keep it simple and cook with great local ingredients - if we succeeded in being 'gourmet' then I thank you once more. Come again soon and bring all your friends.

Reviewed 27 November 2010

We stay in many top-end hotels across England, Scotland & Wales, amongst our favourites being those in the von Essen chain. However, since finding The White Swan a couple of years ago, this hotel now features prominently in our 'getaway' itinerary.

The hotel is just so comfortable. We love the delightful courtyard rooms which have fantastic quarry tile heated floors and bathrooms in white with very calming colours (they are so relaxing). We enjoy sitting outside on a summer evening, in the areas private to each room, with a glass of wine, or sitting beside the log fires with a choice glass of Merlot. A particular quirk of mine is that I never stay anywhere where I am not totally comfortable that my expensive cars would be safe, here there are absolutely no worries.

We love arriving at the driveway to the hotel, which rises from the High Street under a stone archway. The main hotel building, with its cozy almost tudor lounge and cute bar area, is ideally located for the North York Moors and its coastline. The hotel is set in the quaint town of Pickering, just a few minutes walk away from the steam train railway station. It's also great for shopping access to York, which is only 30 minutes drive away through stunning countryside.

We always find the fine dining at the hotel to be pretty much up there with any oher hotel we have had the pleasure of visiting, although we would say that The White Swan stands out purely because of the qulity of service.

And I think that's it, the biggest thing about the hotel is the incredibly friendly and utterly professional service guests receive during their stay at this hotel. Should you be lucky enough to have the time to visit this part of the country, and particularly this hotel, honestly, you will not be disappointed no matter what standards you have experienced elsewhere.

Everything is provided exactly how you would like it to be, with no fuss, no problems, and in such a way that you are made to feel so very welcome.

Thanks again to everyone, particularly to the hotel Manager Lisa, for making each of our 3 visits to the hotel so far so memorable and enjoyable. We have a couple more visits to the hotel in the coming 6 months in the planning pipeline.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very full review. Lisa and the team (particularly Lisa) was thrilled to read this. If you are planning another two visits in the next few months then it looks like you are about to qualify for our White Swan Club. Lisa will let you know the details.

Reviewed 22 November 2010

Last month my wife and I spend two nights at the White Swan celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary . We had eaten here a few times over the years whilst on holiday (usually camping) in the area and thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere so decided to go for the "full monty" on our anniversary - we were not dissapointed. We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms and were impressed with the cleanliness and attention to detail (not sure about the clear plastic deskchair[?]) all the staff we met were friendly and welcoming; we felt thoroughly spoilt and unlike the previous reviewer we found the food in the restaurant to be of a very high standard (as was the choice of wines).

Sorry if I am a OHW (a new TLA to me), I rarely feel compelled to write reviews but I'm happy to make an exception for this place.

All in all I would describe this as a wonderful place for a romantic get-away,

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2010

Thanks for your review and very flattered that you felt compelled to write it. i won't go on about OHW as I got in trouble the last time. I agree with you about the plastic chairs by the way - but the Style Police over-ruled me (my wife) They are known as the Marmite Chairs here. Hope she doesn't read this. Look forward to seeing you again whether for a respite from camping or the full monty! Perhaps we should sort out our field (fenced off at the back of the property) and then you could combine the two.

Reviewed 16 November 2010

We have just returned from a weekend away at the White Swan. The hotel was lovely on the main street in Pickering so handy for a browse around the town.
Our room was in the hotel and was very comfortable, the bathroom was also great with lovely hot towels.
We ate in the hotel the first night and in the Italian next door on the second both meals were superb as were the breakfasts, plenty of choice all freshly cooked.
All the staff were pleasant and helpful.
Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2010

Lisa - Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed the White Swan and Tutti next door. Keep an eye on our web site for some great offers the next time you fancy a break in Yorkshire.

Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stopped the one night and it was a one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Our room was beautiful and had everything you would need. We ate at the Swans sister restaurant next door Tutti which is an italian and the food was fantasic. I loved the idea of the club room, but unfortunatley we didnt have time to go in. Breakfast was also really good with a fantasic choice. I would definatley reccomend this hotel to any of my friends and I hope we are able to go back at some point soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Thanks for your review Vanessa. Make sure you post a few more because if you don't people will think that we wrote this! Trip Advisor Forums refer to them as OHW - one hit wonders I think. We look forward to seeing you again - why don't you bring all your friends as well next time and have a party in the Club Room!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 19 in Whitby

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!